pop noise during warmup

shel50

Aug 3, 2020
Long Island, NY
I'm currently using Gold Lion KT77 tubes--they sound wonderful but I notice there is a slight "pop" noise in the speakers
during warm up when the amp is turned on. Only happens with these tubes. The pop is slight but I can't help wondering if this
is normal or can it cause speaker damage?

Republicoftexas69

Even with volume down?

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Usually popping noises come from failing small driver tubes. Like 12AX7s, 6H30Pis, 6922s, etc. KT77 is a kinkless triode . It might arc, red plate, motorboat, etc. Seems unlikely to just pop during warmup with no input.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
From Upscale’s website about current crop of Gold Lion KT77s:

Notice: We supply the very finest KT77s that you can get and our testing is the best. Period. Statistically, they are not as dependable as the Mullard EL34 reissue. This has increased lately. Even if you have a PrimaLuna which runs tubes really easy you need to know these can fail more often. If you understand that and love them anyway, party on.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

shel50

Aug 3, 2020
Long Island, NY
Usually popping noises come from failing small driver tubes. Like 12AX7s, 6H30Pis, 6922s, etc. KT77 is a kinkless triode . It might arc, red plate, motorboat, etc. Seems unlikely to just pop during warmup with no input.
only happens with the KT77---KT 88's quiet which eliminates driver tubes

shel50

Aug 3, 2020
Long Island, NY
From Upscale’s website about current crop of Gold Lion KT77s:

Notice: We supply the very finest KT77s that you can get and our testing is the best. Period. Statistically, they are not as dependable as the Mullard EL34 reissue. This has increased lately. Even if you have a PrimaLuna which runs tubes really easy you need to know these can fail more often. If you understand that and love them anyway, party on.
yes I read that They assured me a soft noise as such will not harm a speaker--just not loud enough to cause damage

sparkie

Dec 7, 2023
Rapid City, South Dakota
I'm currently using Gold Lion KT77 tubes--they sound wonderful but I notice there is a slight "pop" noise in the speakers
during warm up when the amp is turned on. Only happens with these tubes. The pop is slight but I can't help wondering if this
is normal or can it cause speaker damage?

There are a few things it could be, but it sounds like inrush current on cold tubes. Does this have a solid state power supply?

shel50

Aug 3, 2020
Long Island, NY
There are a few things it could be, but it sounds like inrush current on cold tubes. Does this have a solid state power supply?
probably is SS power supply----Primalina HP premium integrated--built like a tank like all
Primaluna amps.......Changed tubes to Shuguang KT88 tubes--dead quiet

dtbradio

Jun 11, 2023

Would in-rush cause a sharp pop? Even with solid-state supply, wouldn't the change in current be slow enough that it would sound softer than a pop?

To the OP, have you tried different tubes of the type causing the pop?

sparkie

Dec 7, 2023
Rapid City, South Dakota
Would in-rush cause a sharp pop? Even with solid-state supply, wouldn't the change in current be slow enough that it would sound softer than a pop?

A solid state supply is very hard on tubes. the instant the power is turned on, is the second the plate gets hit with voltage, Also, this voltage spike appears on capacitor coupled inputs and cathodes at the same time. Tube rectifiers slow start and softly ramps the voltage.

dtbradio

Jun 11, 2023
A solid state supply is very hard on tubes. the instant the power is turned on, is the second the plate gets hit with voltage, Also, this voltage spike appears on capacitor coupled inputs and cathodes at the same time. Tube rectifiers slow start and softly ramps the voltage.

I do understand all of that. However, the tube isn't conducting anything until it warms up, and it doesn't instantly warm up. Where would such a fast transient happen in the tube itself during warm-up that it would cause a sharp pop? Especially curious since the OP's info narrows it down to a tube problem as his other tubes don't show the symptom. As always, I'm trying to learn things.

sparkie

Dec 7, 2023
Rapid City, South Dakota
I do understand all of that. However, the tube isn't conducting anything until it warms up, and it doesn't instantly warm up. Where would such a fast transient happen in the tube itself during warm-up that it would cause a sharp pop? Especially curious since the OP's info narrows it down to a tube problem as his other tubes don't show the symptom. As always, I'm trying to learn things.
the tube circuit doesn't have to be started for effects like exceeding cathode to heater voltage rating to happen.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Could you not just put your pre on "mute" when this happens?

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
My point is to eliminate any other damage to your system. If you like said tubes?

Carry on...

Tom

Reactions: sparkie

sparkie

Dec 7, 2023
Rapid City, South Dakota
My point is to eliminate any other damage to your system. If you like said tubes?

Carry on...

Tom
depending on where the inrush current sinks, people have applied thermistors to absorb it. Quite frankly, its better to use the correct technology in the first place and avoid adaptations that add complexity and more avenues of hardware failure.

Since this is an amp with an inductive load, you can just add one in series with the bridge to soft start the dc supply.

Last edited:

shel50

Aug 3, 2020
Long Island, NY

The GL KT77's were the only ones it happens with. And yet not all the time....Today in the morning did not hear any pop. Later in the day I did---
That being said I'm friends with the amps actual designer who said not to worry----its not a loud noise that can stretch a voice coil-------and a fair amount of people experienced this.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing