Please welcome Bob of Yarlung Records (DSD64/DSD128/DSD256/LP/CD/Tape)

Yarlung Records

Industry Expert
Dec 21, 2014
Welcome Bob and Yarlung! While I have only to date, purchased two tapes produced by Bob, They are giving me some of the most superb playback I have ever had in my listening room. I have no doubt I will be acquiring more tape and maybe even sticking my toe in the Yarlung High Res waters as well.

Thanks Joe! If you are a DSD guy, we have a new quartet of DSD albums coming out tomorrow (Friday, January 9th) at https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com/

This is an interesting experiment... we are releasing an album in DSD which has not been released in any other format yet. It is Simpler Times, part of another jazz recording with Sophisticated Lady jazz quartet. This time the DSD is coming out before the tape, vinyl and CD. The musicians did a fantastic job. I feel like a very proud pappa.

Bob

Yarlung Records

Industry Expert
Dec 21, 2014
Bob, just one question. Why not release the whole record at once rather than part I and II?

Thanks for your question Joe. Except in the case of Mahler's fifth symphony, our DSD releases are all the length of a reel of analog tape, from which they come. Our DSD releases come from the SonoruS series of tapes. So at 15 ips, this limits us to about 30 minutes per album. Fortunately, Jared Sacks, who runs NativeDSD, was able to set a correspondingly lower price for the length of the recordings.

Incidentally, here is the url for the NativeDSD newsletter that came out today, including a special discount for the new International Rectifier quartet: www.goo.gl/1BP46t

Please let me know what you think!

Sincerely,

Bob
www.yarlungrecords.com

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks for your question Joe. Except in the case of Mahler's fifth symphony, our DSD releases are all the length of a reel of analog tape, from which they come. Our DSD releases come from the SonoruS series of tapes. So at 15 ips, this limits us to about 30 minutes per album. Fortunately, Jared Sacks, who runs NativeDSD, was able to set a correspondingly lower price for the length of the recordings.

Incidentally, here is the url for the NativeDSD newsletter that came out today, including a special discount for the new International Rectifier quartet: www.goo.gl/1BP46t

Please let me know what you think!

Sincerely,

Bob
www.yarlungrecords.com

Hi Bob...I've got Simpler Times on my shopping list....

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Thanks Bob. I have already purchased a few titles from Jared's site, including your Argentine cello recording. I also have the Sophisticated Ladies recording in PCM and like it very much. I think it was from HdTracks. It was much cheaper to purchase it there as one album than as 2 halves. I would prefer that you offer the whole album as one download.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I just bought this album in DSD256.

Just incredible. I now want the 7.5 ips tape, but will have to save up for that!.

EDIT: If you are a fan of Indian music. I can't recommend it highly enough. Listened to it
all the way through twice before heading out for the weekend.

Last edited:

Yarlung Records

Industry Expert
Dec 21, 2014
I just bought this album in DSD256.

Just incredible. I now want the 7.5 ips tape, but will have to save up for that!.

EDIT: If you are a fan of Indian music. I can't recommend it highly enough. Listened to it
all the way through twice before heading out for the weekend.

Thanks Andre! Just for a reminder, all of our SonoruS Series tapes are 15 ips. We haven't made any at 7 1/2 and I am fairly certain the slower speed would not capture the range you like in the DSD (which comes of course from the tape at 15, CCIR)

Have a great weekend!

Bob

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks Andre! Just for a reminder, all of our SonoruS Series tapes are 15 ips. We haven't made any at 7 1/2 and I am fairly certain the slower speed would not capture the range you like in the DSD (which comes of course from the tape at 15, CCIR)

Have a great weekend!

Bob

Ah, ok. Gotcha. I though I saw on the site that 7.5 ips could be be special ordered.

Right now all my machines are 7.5, but I am probably going to buy Jeff Dorgay's 15 ips B77.

Yarlung Records

Industry Expert
Dec 21, 2014
Ah, ok. Gotcha. I though I saw on the site that 7.5 ips could be be special ordered.

Right now all my machines are 7.5, but I am probably going to buy Jeff Dorgay's 15 ips B77.

Dear Andre,

The B77 is a very nice unit. Let me know what you think after it arrives, will you?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing