Hong Kong
Playback Design's new 2016 products :
  1. Melot dac
  2. Syrah server
  3. OpBox add-on circuit board for Oppo universal players
  4. Pinot adc

[video]https://youtu.be/N-BMl-l6KDY[/video]

Very tasty. Thanks for sharing.

What's the price on DAC and OpBox? I couldn't find info.

I find these two bits of info about the following devices interesting. I wonder if they are saying that by using the Opo as a source (to play SACD) for example, one could leverage the OpBox to somehow "Record" the SACD stream to a computer as a usable media file?

One can hope I guess :)

Merlot DAC
Recording software for file creation on computer

OpBox
Captures all native audio data from any source supported by Oppo Player and sends it to Merlot for conversion to analog

I find these two bits of info about the following devices interesting. I wonder if they are saying that by using the Opo as a source (to play SACD) for example, one could leverage the OpBox to somehow "Record" the SACD stream to a computer as a usable media file?

One can hope I guess :)

Merlot DAC
Recording software for file creation on computer

OpBox
Captures all native audio data from any source supported by Oppo Player and sends it to Merlot for conversion to analog

just ordered an op box

it is the same technology emm labs, pbd and sonoma use for dsd interfacing

nothing new or revolutionary other than u can plug it into oppo 103 and save some money ;) on a transport as transports become obsolete for legacy sacds

op box

just ordered an op box

nothing new or revolutionary other than u can plug it into oppo 103 and save some money ;) on a transport as transports become obsolete for legacy sacds

So can you use the op box with your existing emm labs and PBD devices? Or just with the new Merlot? Thanks.

So can you use the op box with your existing emm labs and PBD devices? Or just with the new Merlot? Thanks.

The OpBox probably uses the proprietary PL-Link technology used in Playback Designs DACs. So it would be limited to their DACs.

The OpBox probably uses the proprietary PL-Link technology used in Playback Designs DACs. So it would be limited to their DACs.

My dealer said the opbox will work with the "old" PBD units. Works only with the Oppo 103, not 105. Maybe 105 in the future. New PBD x-box coming out this summer that does DSD 256.

just ordered an op box

Can you please clarify - this card allows you to use the Oppo 103 as a transport capable of DSD output to a PBD DAC? My understanding is that all SACD is encrypted, and each manufacturer uses proprietary encryption (which is why SACD transports and DAC's need to be from the same maker). This card bypasses this limitation?

Can you please clarify - this card allows you to use the Oppo 103 as a transport capable of DSD output to a PBD DAC? My understanding is that all SACD is encrypted, and each manufacturer uses proprietary encryption (which is why SACD transports and DAC's need to be from the same maker). This card bypasses this limitation?

Yes and Yes. The card is made by PBD for use with the Oppo 103. Uses PBD's PLink encryption to keep the DSD digital signal in its native form and encrypted between the Oppo and PBD.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing