Playback Designs MPD-8

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
One of the best in my opinion if you want a very musical fatigue-free playback of any Digital Stream. Its very smooth yet retains all the details and dynamics in a cohesive manner. You can listen to it for hours. Makes you forget about the electronics and diverts your attention to the music.

Reactions: dan31 and Hyperion

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I tried a number of high-end streamers USB directly to the DAC, but Always preferred the Direct PD Fibre Connection from the MPT-8 to the MPD8. The Dreams Series DAC seems to he heavily optimised for the Fibre Connection.

Low325

May 2, 2021
I have had the MPD-8 in my system for a little over a thousand hours. It replaced a Totaldac D-1 Dual with Totaldac Reclocker. It is an expansion on all the qualities of the Totaldac--open, alive, natural, musical--with a more extended top end, a deeper and slightly wider soundstage and better mid and low bass, both in definition and extension. It also reveals considerably more detail which is never in your face or unnatural. I drive it with an Antipodes DX going by USB into the Playback Designs optical converter that connects to the MPD-8 through its proprietary "Plink" link. The DAC goes straight to my Enleum 23R driving Cube Audio Nenuphars. It is a beautifully made and sounding piece of gear, one that I consider a permanent part of my system.
I would love to hear this! Congrats!

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Guys I will most likely be upgrading from FM 801A to the PB SPA-8 , to make the synergy whole since i am 1/2 way there.
I would very much like to hear that, should be great. If I were looking for a new amp to go with the MPT-8/MPD-8, it would be between the SPA-8 or the Boulder 3060. I have the Pinot ADC, so could run analog in a Playback Designs system.

Mercman

Oct 5, 2016
The new 019 firmware update for the MPD-8 is a big sonic improvement. Highly recommended!

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I would very much like to hear that, should be great. If I were looking for a new amp to go with the MPT-8/MPD-8, it would be between the SPA-8 or the Boulder 3060. I have the Pinot ADC, so could run analog in a Playback Designs system.
Very interesting system - nice!

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
The new 019 firmware update for the MPD-8 is a big sonic improvement. Highly recommended!
I just got mine one done as well ( but apparently I have been on the 019 for a while, so when I tried to update it , it actually went back to 018, but I was able to get it back to 019, and I also did the X2 unapt as well on the MPT8, ) I find that even I am using K50 , I much prefer to use the MPT8 as my streamer connected via ethernet from the K50, and prefer that over AES or USB from K50

speakerlust

Mar 26, 2011
Christiaan Punter recently did reviews on Playback Designs MPS-X and then MPD-6. He tried an interesting experiment in his review of the MPD-6 inserting the MPS-X between his K50 and MPD-6 using AES/EBU from K50 and PLINK from MPS-X to the MPD-6. He was quite taken with sound quality improvement he perceived.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
That is interesting speakerlust.

I am changing the location of my Pre-Amp and MPS-5 to the front of the room rather than at the side wall by my listening chair.
This is to eliminate an 8 Meter interconnect. I am keeping my Stream-IF on the side with some other front end equipment and running PLINK between the 2. I'm curious as to the sound as I think it will be better than the OCC DIY cable I have been using. The thought of spending $1000's again, or try a TrippLite 10 M fiber for $34. That is a no brainer. I will know next week. Then you will know.

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
Christiaan Punter recently did reviews on Playback Designs MPS-X and then MPD-6. He tried an interesting experiment in his review of the MPD-6 inserting the MPS-X between his K50 and MPD-6 using AES/EBU from K50 and PLINK from MPS-X to the MPD-6. He was quite taken with sound quality improvement he perceived.
I currently use Direct stream from K50 to MPT8 then Plink to MPD8,, I much prefer that over the USB from K50 for sure. I gotta give AES another go.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

speakerlust

Mar 26, 2011
@jackson_k,
I am not currently a PIayback Designs owner, but look forward to your feedback. Christiaan Punter has favored Jorma AES/EBU over USB from the K50. I have Sablon Bocchino for AES/EBU and Triode Wire Labs USB. I listen with both but favor AES/EBU more. My understanding is K50 does not reclock the USB output. I too use the DirectStream output from the K50 but have not read what mechanism Antipodes is doing there for sound quality improvement. My interpretation on Christiaan's MPD-6 and MPS-X reviews that MPS-X provided enhanced results with K50 and MPD-6 over using internal option of Stream-X2 in the MPD-6. Possibly this is due to double PDFAS, once in MPS-X and again in MPD-6 plus increased separation with standalone MPS-X vs Stream-X2. I find myself very curious on this. Does your MPT-8 also use PDFAS, which also would result in double use with your MPD-8? Congratulations on your fine system.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
I just got mine one done as well ( but apparently I have been on the 019 for a while, so when I tried to update it , it actually went back to 018, but I was able to get it back to 019, and I also did the X2 unapt as well on the MPT8, ) I find that even I am using K50 , I much prefer to use the MPT8 as my streamer connected via ethernet from the K50, and prefer that over AES or USB from K50
If you use stand alone PBD streamer and take K50 out of chain completely with your PBD DAC, does it single handedly beat the K50?

In a nutshell if you can ONLY have the K50 or MPS-X going into MPD6 or MPD8 which would you choose?

On one hand K50 has its own core,
MPS-X better marriage/connection via PLINK to DAC but no core.

Last edited:

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
That is interesting speakerlust.

I am changing the location of my Pre-Amp and MPS-5 to the front of the room rather than at the side wall by my listening chair.
This is to eliminate an 8 Meter interconnect. I am keeping my Stream-IF on the side with some other front end equipment and running PLINK between the 2. I'm curious as to the sound as I think it will be better than the OCC DIY cable I have been using. The thought of spending $1000's again, or try a TrippLite 10 M fiber for $34. That is a no brainer. I will know next week. Then you will know.
Having fiber for the 8 Meter connection between the Stream-IF and MPS-5 allowing me to use 2 Meter XLR interconnects is a stunning improvement in anyway you can imagine.

I would highly recommend it to any of you that can do this and shorten the interconnects between your DAC and Preamp.

David

Aug 11, 2012
Hello Chuck,
I have heard very good things about the Pinot ADC of Playback Designs catalog (Sonoma series).
It is really as good as Analog / LP when a LP is digitalized using with PINOT ... and then the file played with a MPD-8 Converter ?
Do you have tried in the same way with Reel To Reel / Tapes ?
BR - David

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing