Plan To Split California Into Six States Closer To Reality

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
As Canadians we have a lot more land per person we tend to Wander. Not like the land of the free were you must stay on topic.

Any way the one of the richest places on earth may split up into 6 so they can fight over water while surfing and growing pot. Maybe the place needs a good earth quake to make them see what is important like getting along with each other. The water problem is man made so that is who will have to fix it. Some them could move to Maine they have lots of water just melt the snow. Big open areas in Alaska . Send Steve Williams back to Canada all kinds of fixes . Jonny I was second this time in getting off topic but I would have done it any way I need little help in getting lost fine on my own with that one.

I get the sense you feel some resentment, dissatisfaction or dislike for our Southern neighbours. I hope I am wrong. The water issue in California has reached crisis proportions and I do hope that it can get sorted, although I have no idea as to how. As for Maine...yes, there is lots of water, but Nestle Foods is raping the underground lakes and rivers of it. Big business is taking over government and changing laws to suit their interest without regard to anything else. There is a weakness in government that they've explored and taken advantage of. That weakness is the lining of pockets for personal gain...screw the people.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Forgive me for not reading the entire thread, but I have a question.

If Californians vote to disband the existing California to form smaller "states", will it be necessary for the other US states to admit the new ones into The Union, or will they be recognized as states by default? It seems Constitutional that the new ones would be recognized as US Territories until such time that the rest of us decide their permanent status.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Johnny it is unlikely their is any way out of the water shortage it has been decades in the making. As to the six states they have the money the population it could be done but the amount of red tape will prevent or delay it for a very long time as in too long to fix the problem they have with the water. less population is the only answer I can think of I am sure their are others with better answers at lest I hope so.

I sure don't have an answer to water shortages in masses of population built between the desert and the sea. Well, maybe practical, inexpensive desalination of the Pacific. :)

Tim

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Much of California has seen it's massive growth in population up through the 90's during two anomalies: high rainfall compared to long term historical records and in the case of SoCal, historically low earthquake activity. Nature has a way of catching up.

People also like to build in areas prone to fires, floods, landslides, mushy ocean hillsides etc. etc., beautiful perhaps, but it seems the more hazardous, the better.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I sure don't have an answer to water shortages in masses of population built between the desert and the sea. Well, maybe practical, inexpensive desalination of the Pacific. :)

Tim

Desalinization plants will be Cali's future in the dry area's. There is a lot of ocean out there. Unfortunately there will be costs to such a scheme...ie: the energy needed to create adequate capacity.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Desalinization plants will be Cali's future in the dry area's. There is a lot of ocean out there. Unfortunately there will be costs to such a scheme...ie: the energy needed to create adequate capacity.

the idea is nothing new and there's too much opposition...try getting it past the coastal commission, sierra club and multitudes of other special interest groups. this is my back yard:

http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/11/14/40366/poseidon-withdraws-huntington-beach-desalination-p/

the best route is conservation, we've gone through severe droughts before its just that no one takes them seriously. they're talking about $500 fines in SoCal for excessive watering (lawns, etc.) on the off days just to get peoples attention. one could point to Australia as an example of how to do it right.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
the idea is nothing new and there's too much opposition...try getting it past the coastal commission, sierra club and multitudes of other special interest groups. this is my back yard:

http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/11/14/40366/poseidon-withdraws-huntington-beach-desalination-p/

the best route is conservation, we've gone through severe droughts before its just that no one takes them seriously. they're talking about $500 fines in SoCal for excessive watering (lawns, etc.) on the off days just to get peoples attention. one could point to Australia as an example of how to do it right.

Regardless of activist opposition, unless there is a major change in rainfall patterns, I don't see how conservation alone will do the trick going forward in the long run.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Regardless of activist opposition, unless there is a major change in rainfall patterns, I don't see how conservation alone will do the trick going forward in the long run.

consevation does work. out here, this topic is in the news every day its clear we waste way too much water - plain and simple.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
consevation does work. out here, this topic is in the news every day its clear we waste way too much water - plain and simple.

I understand that...but for how long ? If the reservoirs keep getting lower there will be a point where conservation won't meet water demand. What about farming ? Is Cali going to get out of the farming biz ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing