Placebo effects in the extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Could you please find and quote me or redact your statement if you can't back it up?
Sure
me said:
Should an "honest objectivist" not be capable of entertaining that their analysis/measurements are not necessarily the "truth" as far as auditory perception is concerned?
you said:
Sure they can. Done all the time.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
He states what I was referring to.

People's perception of reality is often WRONG.

I think you should view that video again as you have grossly misrepresented it in your one-line summary.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
You misunderstand - I was not talking about your perception
You used the simple visual example where it can be shown to be a solid block of colour yet we perceive it as a gradient shaded block.
Now you extrapolate this simplistic analysis to an audio stream.
Are you claiming that a complete analysis of audio streams can be done (the "reality" known), compared to auditory perception & the differences analysed?

IMPOSSIBLE. As I said before, I was NOT referring to audio--just the gray image.

I can't continue when you read into the specific things I refer to and make more out of them than I intend. I am very simple, I like simple things at face value, but you are making more of it than the words relate.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
IMPOSSIBLE. As I said before, I was NOT referring to audio--just the gray image.
OK, I see you did say this before. I extrapolated this statement to be a more generalisable one but if you didn't mean it as generalisable then I apologise. So, let me get this straight - are you saying that this reality Vs perception difference only applies to the grey image, nothing else, not to audio?

I can't continue when you read into the specific things I refer to and make more out of them than I intend. I am very simple, I like simple things at face value, but you are making more of it than the words relate.
If you make it clear what you are saying then there can be no misinterpretation. So far you have not done so. Care to correct the situation? What is your statement regarding audio which equates to what you said about the coloured bar example?

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011

John you said "You stated that objectivists admit to the limitations of their measurements"

I'll ask again: Please find a post of mine in relation to this. If you can't find it redact it. If you won't redact it I'll simply report it and have the lie removed from the thread.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
John you said "You stated that objectivists admit to the limitations of their measurements"

I'll ask again: Please find a post of mine in relation to this. If you can't find it redact it. If you won't redact it I'll simply report it and have the lie removed from the thread.

For an individual who uses multiple identities and has been banned from the Polk forum for that, along with trolling, you sure are arrogant. How did your request to get the Audioquest CEO banned go?

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
For an individual who uses multiple identities and has been banned from the Polk forum for that, along with trolling, you sure are arrogant. How did your request to get the Audioquest CEO banned go?

Your memory is even more unreliable than your ears. I never asked for Bill Low to be banned.

At least you learned that Jitter can't be stored as part of a file on a Hard Drive ;)

BE718

Sep 30, 2015
My take is that the "better" is not as simple as you trying to imply - in conventional technical aspects, the copy above is inferior, but it may have altered sufficiently in characteristics such that the some signature characteristics of the playback system being used, which could give the sound an unpleasant patina, were not so obviously present - the playback system is not a black box in this test, it plays a major part in the final presentation ... I have heard many severely "over-etched" systems playing - anything that reduces the impact of that "distortion" would be a blessing, for me.

Whilst I take your point, in this instance the participants had been supplied the files to listen at home on their own systems, the ones I quizzed about it (not everyone I admit) found the same result there.

The system used in the test is by any standard good without any "unpleasant patina" found by any of the participants.

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
Well now you say its a request it would stand a slightly better chance. At least with Amir, he does warm to people being polite.

Impoliteness is de rigueur here. Lying about what someone said and patently unable to back it up is quite another.

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
Impoliteness is de rigueur here.

Any evidence of that?

Lying about what someone said and patently unable to back it up is quite another.

And is there any evidence of any lying going on? Bear in mind that to substantiate a claim of lying you'd need to be a mind-reader of sorts, to know that the person knows they're delivering untruths.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Your memory is even more unreliable than your ears. I never asked for Bill Low to be banned.

Yes, you are correct in those words. You only asked for him to be censored, and not allowed to 'continue' unless he meets your criteria. Your arrogance, and ignorance, knows no bound.

"This will be a first for any forum but I feel I need to ask:

Could Mr. Low please be required to provide actual data, peer reviewed journals, or independently re-produced results? Barring that posts moderated?

I apologize in advance if it's over stepping. From my view point it's not unreasonable given the context of the thread (HDMI and not straight analog) and the sub forum (measurements).

The enough rope to hang himself with has already been done I just don't want to have to keep seeing the swaying corpse.

Or maybe the requirement for him to continue is to submit to a properly bias controlled evaluation before he comments further."

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...st-HDMI-cables&p=377383&viewfull=1#post377383

BE718

Sep 30, 2015
Here's where I differ - they all gave their listening impressions favouring the re-recorded track. You use the stock objectivist's statement that this because of added distortion. You have not measured this - it's just your "expert opinion". How do you know that the re-recording has not masked some artifact that was perceived as less natural in the original? What output filter settings were used in the MDAC playback? I guess you are not one of those "objectivists who are not afraid to explore what they heard, show why they heard it" - audiophiles prefer distortion explains it all.

First off you are using your playback system which you claim has no noise issues. Therefore, according to you, there's no need for the Intona's galvanic isolation. I seem to remember your listening impressions of the Intona were that you couldn't make up your mind if it was placebo or not. Yet in a blind test there was a distinct preference for it when used with your main system. So we have a blind test, which you seem to distrust & predict a null result next time around.

When you substitute a laptop for your PC, the Regen is preferred over the Intona. Is this because your laptop's USB port has inferior signal quality to your PC's USB port?

Your initial comments on the Regen Vs Intona results "this example just confirms my opinions regarding how flawed people's (including my own) subjective opinions can be." Your desire to jump to premature conclusions demonstrates an overriding bias rather than the image of objectivists being finagled here as "not afraid to explore what they heard, show why they heard it"

Its not a stock answer. Distortion in this context is obviously referring to general changes in the sound and not specifics.

Yes I have measured it. I know what changes the MDAC makes with its filters. I know the characteristics of the ADC.

You are reaching JK. Everyone expressed how fantastic they thought the (original) test tracks sounded - they just preferred overall the inferior copy. Your point about masking is simply not correct as they comments expressed things like "more detail", "lower noise". they just thought it was better - period.

You have completely missed the point with the noise issues. Yes, my system does not have any noise issues - you have seen the plots. If you paid attention you would know that it was not my system used for the test. Its properties are unknown to me. Also if you paid attention you would have noted that it was an Aries and laptop. Whilst you point could be valid, and we discussed precisely this, you have chosen to ignore the fact that everyone was really struggling to discern any difference between direct in and the usb devices. This was to the extent that I observed people looking to each other for cues as to which way to jump.

I will perform a longer test next time we get together and I am fairly confident the result will come out close to 50/50, ie guesswork.

The conclusion isnt flawed. People like yourself make out the differences are easily audible, when in reality the moment you put people under the most simple and unobtrusive controls their self lauded subjective aural capabilities seem to evaporate.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Whilst I take your point, in this instance the participants had been supplied the files to listen at home on their own systems, the ones I quizzed about it (not everyone I admit) found the same result there.

The system used in the test is by any standard good without any "unpleasant patina" found by any of the participants.
Okay, then I would be interested in what the track was - perhaps the EQ and mastering was such that it could easily provoke a system to show the sound in less than an ideal light - I'm thinking of something like Adele 21 here; toning down any track from the latter would typically be more palatable to most ...

My experiences have shown me, over and over again, that it is far too easy to judge whether a system, or recording, or format has 'problems' or not - only to realise later that I didn't have the full story - I've tripped myself up, many, many times over the years ... ;).

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
But those of us with both digital and analog understand the strengths and weaknesses of each medium. Any one can hear the difference, but when I needle drop in 24/96, store in 24/96 and play back in 24/96 digital fully replicates the vinyl, so I have been convinced for a long time that it is almost all in the recording process itself, atleast enough that the differences are not possible to hear when I do my limited blind tests.
Tom, the main weakness I see with vinyl is that it can't always mimic digital; as you say, the converse is not a problem. But such a digital clip that vinyl can't "encode" might easily be more difficult to reproduce cleanly for a playback system - again, the recording in itself is not the problem.

I've been at a friend's, with a classical piece - he had the vinyl, I the CD - his vinyl sounded "wrong" at first, we did some fine tuning of his rig ... and, lo and behold, we got the 2 formats to synch, subjectively - both versions just produced music, the impact of the piece as an 'art' was what registered, and they matched ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing