Placebo effects in the extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
correct. With the emphasis on WHAT THEY HEARD.

I'll just say that again.

What they heard.

yes...

What they heard.

An just in case you missed it...

What they heard.

And one more time for the slower people.

What they heard.

And when objectivists actually do that consistently then I think you would find a lot of animosity might dissipate.

For those living under a rock this last fortnight, I am of course referring to the massive Entreq war in the general forum where not one single detractor of the product had actually heard it.

So practice what you preach please and you guys might actually garner some respect.

Then you have not understood what has been said in that thread.

You do not need to have heard the device to have a technical opinion on it.

Years of experience (not listening to noise problems in instrumentation) allows me to know that if you have a noise problem it can be solved without the need for expensive esoteric boxes full of magic crystals.

The point made in the thread was that the entreq has no technical merit beyond what can be achieved with some ordinary cable and a connector block.

Also that if you have a noise problem, find out what the fundamental issue is and solve that first.

Also, most who implement these boxes have no idea even if they actually have a noise problem, and could even be introducing one with its use.

Oh yes, also that the initial measurements showed there was a big problem with mains harmonics in the system. The entreq reduced the mains harmonics but INCREASED the HF noise. Once the "problem" cable was replaced the entreq made almost no difference to the still unusually high level of mains harmonics.

So that demonstrates the reason why you should fix the problem first before looking to this tweak as a solution. It also demonstrated there was still a bit of a problem to solve.

Last edited:
Let me remind you of the Original post

I have read of such medical studies before, but a recent short summary in the link above.

I think they are extreme examples of how powerful, far reaching, and the high level of influence placebo and nocebo effects have upon the human organism. So many wish to trust their ears and ignore how powerful such effects are that it has created a schism like having this one forum among dozens here in order to cut down on the deeply felt disagreements inherent in the high end of the hobby as it is. Having been one of those people for years I get it, been there, done that whatever.

Commonly, those who don't see the need or benefit in scrupulously protecting yourself from fooling yourself or simply being fooled imagine those on the other side to have some deficiency in our hearing, our gear etc. What I find is rather these are people who have had experience where clearly their golden ears betrayed them. They have personal experience of how wrong that can be due to expectation bias, and placebo. It quickly becomes apparent how rampant that is in the high end audio business. In my own experience it was a very uncomfortable feeling for quite some time. But dammit I wanted to really know the truth.

Yet sticking with simple facts, appropriate use of measurements, and studying psycho-physical effects upon our hobby of music reproduction, I find it exceptionally difficult to find forums where you can simply do that. Facts aren't, touchy feely emotional connections trump it all, and we aren't supposed to comment if we haven't heard whatever is under discussion, even when there isn't anything to hear. I like no doubt plenty of others, have been banned a few times for very innocuous factual comments that simply didn't go down well with those wishing to believe in magic. Just recently I was 'chided' by Steve Williams for suggesting a couple of ways to find out what is inside of a sealed box you aren't allowed to open. Claiming I was being insincere, inflammatory and sarcastic when nothing of the sort was true.

So I guess this is something of a rant. And a question in approaches that others have found useful to get the points across. No matter how factually correct one might be, if you can't convince anyone else, can't communicate that to others, then your knowledge has limited usefulness.

I have the experience more than once, of convincing people much of what they thought was different was only bias and placebo. We are talking hands on, comfortable events to show what was going on. Those people recognized the truth of it, and yet, they were so uncomfortable it makes only marginal difference in their approach to music reproduction. In particular situations they acknowledge the rightness of how things work, yet want the magic, the mystery and the self developed acolyte role in this hobby so much they can't really let go of it.

So, comments and thoughts????

It has nothing to do with actual measurements and all to do with an attack on anyone with any subjective opinion.. and you squeal about the fact that subjectivists respond in a measurement forum..IT WAS AIMED AT THEM!!!!!
The first one to say "trust your ears" or any variant of that is the OP....

It has nothing to do with actual measurements and all to do with an attack on anyone with any subjective opinion..

Quite so Rodney.

What's weird about audio is its the only place where placebo effects aren't considered real. To wit, the OP says '...what they thought was different was only bias and placebo.'

In medicine (where the quote's lifted from) what's different is accepted as different. IOW if a person takes a pill and gets cured, there's no cry of 'No, you're still ill! Look, you
took a placebo! You can't be cured, there was no drug you (insert pejorative of choice)!' Its only in audio as far as I'm aware that this kind of nonsense is given any credence
at all. Happy to be enlightened though if there are other spheres. Objectivists, do you know of any?

I would just comment that the Entreq as an issue solving mechanism makes sense to me; it's certainly not a placebo from where I'm coming from. I've spent years tussling with SQ variations that originate from interference injecting noise into some aspect of the system's operation, I've tried "silly", DIY, grounding solutions, and they have all had an at least temporary effect on the sound - obviously best engineering practices would make all this go away, but first there needs to be an acceptance that the typical audio system is not sufficiently robust against these degrading factors; this will lead to concerted efforts for developing the smartest methods for "fixing" such things as "poor grounding" ...

Quite so Rodney.

What's weird about audio is its the only place where placebo effects aren't considered real. To wit, the OP says '...what they thought was different was only bias and placebo.'

In medicine (where the quote's lifted from) what's different is accepted as different. IOW if a person takes a pill and gets cured, there's no cry of 'No, you're still ill! Look, you
took a placebo! You can't be cured, there was no drug you (insert pejorative of choice)!' Its only in audio as far as I'm aware that this kind of nonsense is given any credence
at all. Happy to be enlightened though if there are other spheres. Objectivists, do you know of any?

I have said many times that differences DO exist for those that hear them , real or not , it is a truism to *them*.

I would just comment that the Entreq as an issue solving mechanism makes sense to me; it's certainly not a placebo from where I'm coming from.

How does it work?

I have said many times that differences DO exist for those that hear them , real or not , it is a truism to *them*.

Right. So the sticking point seems to be, at foundation that objectivists do seem totally unable to accept that's another person's genuine experience.

Why is that so hard for them do you think?

That is because there is no such thing as 'placebo' in audio. The term is only used by the weak minded in a feeble attempt to sound intelligent and rationalize their ignorance. Notice how the original post in this thread was a troll post, and was used as an attempt to belittle others, while attempting to make the OP appear intelligent. Shouldn't the OP be banned for trolling?

Right. So the sticking point seems to be, at foundation that objectivists do seem totally unable to accept that's another person's genuine experience.

Why is that so hard for them do you think?

Let us start with your post before this one. Where you had to work hard to intentionally misunderstand. Saying in medicine a placebo is real while it audio is isn't real. On the contrary, yes we know if you hear a difference you heard it and it was real to you. However, just like in medicine a difference which isn't due to the placebo item is the same in audio. Plug in a box that does nothing, and hear a difference, a real experienced difference, and you have experienced a placebo.

So yes, your genuine experience is totally accepted. This is where the subjectivists want to stop. Your genuine experience isn't a reliable indicator of a physical effect on the sound.

So any more Gishian objections on your plate?

That is because there is no such thing as 'placebo' in audio. The term is only used by the weak minded in a feeble attempt to sound intelligent and rationalize their ignorance. Notice how the original post in this thread was a troll post, and was used as an attempt to belittle others, while attempting to make the OP appear intelligent. Shouldn't the OP be banned for trolling?

Please point out where others were belittled in the original post.

Opus

In my subjective opinion :

It is because most dyed in the wool hardcore objectivist on forums I frequent , would rather prove a destructive and not a constructive outcome..Ie " it doesn't work .. you are fooling yourselves , bunch of sheeples , made by a charlatan " type thing , this is always thinly diguised with a cloak of "scientific experimentation" or "trying to understand" etc.

They ignore the REAL effects of human nature and perception .. that you trust your ears and senses , is a no no to them..regardless of how real it is for the person concerned

Their version of reality is stark and uncompromising ..

The avowed intent to thrust *their* version of whats considered real down everyone elses throats is adequately revealed by the original posting

The effect is real, are you suggesting a different choice of words, like 'expectation bias' or some such? I'd be interested to hear your ideas.

Perhaps a very few hear something that does not exist, but I suspect they are rare. The real issue is we do not know what to measure, nor have developed the technology to understand what is happening at the atomic level. Some fool with a multimeter does not make a scientist or even an engineer.

Perhaps a very few hear something that does not exist, but I suspect they are rare.

Seems we have a difference in ontology here. If I hear it, it exists as a sound. Doesn't mean to say though that there was necessarily any difference in the vibration in the air. The brain creates sound out of not just the vibratory input to the eardrums. McGurk effect is a great example of this.

Opus

It is because most dyed in the wool hardcore objectivist on forums I frequent , would rather prove a destructive and not a constructive outcome..Ie " it doesn't work .. you are fooling yourselves , bunch of sheeples , made by a charlatan " type thing , this is always thinly diguised with a cloak of "scientific experimentation" or "trying to understand" etc.

They ignore the REAL effects of human nature and perception .. that you trust your ears and senses , is a no no to them..regardless of how real it is for the person concerned

Their version of reality is stark and uncompromising ..

The avowed intent to thrust *their* version of whats considered real down everyone elses throats is adequately revealed by the original posting

So rather than clear away things that may only work for psychological reasons in order to more clearly determine what will result in physically improved reproduction in music, you would prefer to stay versed in comfortable psychological experiences while avoiding investigation of same. That is so special.

It isn't about destruction of an idea. It is about testing an idea so you have a solid basis for moving forward.

Yes, also my experience. The 'science' approach is always a rationalization because science begins with observation, not theory. The intent does seem to be to dismiss, deny and assert some kind of superiority, not to explore and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing