Pink Floyd - The Endless River (October 2014)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Have you heard the David Gilmour 'On An Island'? There is a lot of that in this album, along with a lot of 'big, immense space'-type mood setting Pink Floyd special effects. I will listen to it again...and there are some great musical elements here...just altogether i would say 'good effort' as opposed to spectacular.

Yes, I have On An Island (CD & LP). Interesting comment as my personal gut feeling never expected "spectacular". Since these were part of the Division Bell sessions, do you feel like this is decent follow-up to that? Or somewhat of a continuation?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've been listening to it for the past couple days. Definitely cut from the same cloth as Wish You Were Here (which was the favorite album of David Gilmour and Richard Wright) than The Division Bell (apart from perhaps the last song which has vocals).

Good sound. Nothing here musically that will blow you away, nothing much 'new' - typical riffs from all three. I could see some calling this drivel from the cutting room floor, but whatever the case I enjoy it. :)

More WYWH than TDB, eh? Hmmm...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
More WYWH than TDB, eh? Hmmm...

...if it helps, i would almost say even more On An Island than even WYWH but i am no musicologist-type...i just remember that was my initial reaction on at least 5 tracks...'hunh, sounds a lot like On An Island'...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
...if it helps, i would almost say even more On An Island than even WYWH but i am no musicologist-type...i just remember that was my initial reaction on at least 5 tracks...'hunh, sounds a lot like On An Island'...

To be honest, it doesn't really matter which of those 3 it sounds like...I'm just happy it got done. Looking to pick up my vinyl copy tomorrow. :D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
To be honest, it doesn't really matter which of those 3 it sounds like...I'm just happy it got done. Looking to pick up my vinyl copy tomorrow. :D
let us know what you think!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I finally picked up my vinyl copy, but since I'm without a TT at the moment I've had to make due with the 320MP3 download code. I burned it to CD and am playing it on my system as opposed to the PC. I like it enough to pick up the proper CD version.

I like this album. While it is an ambient effort, it has enough variance to maintain interest and have you sit up and take notice. I'm still having some difficulty identifying this with WYWH, but I was reminded at times of TDB, AMTOR and Meddle. I also liked the fact that Nick Mason's percussion work was a little more evident. David's usual languid playing was evident throughout, but he never really took centerstage and instead provided a solid cohesion for others to work with. I walked away from it feeling this was very much a shared effort.

Time will tell how this album fares against all of the others, but I have a feeling it'll do better over time. It really is quite wonderful.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I finally picked up my vinyl copy, but since I'm without a TT at the moment I've had to make due with the 320MP3 download code. I burned it to CD and am playing it on my system as opposed to the PC. I like it enough to pick up the proper CD version.

I like this album. While it is an ambient effort, it has enough variance to maintain interest and have you sit up and take notice. I'm still having some difficulty identifying this with WYWH, but I was reminded at times of TDB, AMTOR and Meddle. I also liked the fact that Nick Mason's percussion work was a little more evident. David's usual languid playing was evident throughout, but he never really took centerstage and instead provided a solid cohesion for others to work with. I walked away from it feeling this was very much a shared effort.

Time will tell how this album fares against all of the others, but I have a feeling it'll do better over time. It really is quite wonderful.

Yes, i agree it may 'grow on you' over time...but as for Wish You Were Here, i am inclined to agree...i still most reminded of David Gilmour's On An Island...enjoy!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yes, i agree it may 'grow on you' over time...but as for Wish You Were Here, i am inclined to agree...i still most reminded of David Gilmour's On An Island...enjoy!

I need to give On An Island another listen soon, so I can give a perspective in comparison. I'll be honest, I have not played it much as I find it a bit of a borefest...and I LOVE David Gilmour. But I will play it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I need to give On An Island another listen soon, so I can give a perspective in comparison. I'll be honest, I have not played it much as I find it a bit of a borefest...and I LOVE David Gilmour. But I will play it.

Sounds like i should give Endless River another listen...i felt a little bored by Endless River in comparison with On An Island which i still find sometimes a bit soporific. Sometimes thats the right music to play, btw...so not necessarily a bad thing. But its not Final Cut or Wall, that's for sure.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Sounds like i should give Endless River another listen...i felt a little bored by Endless River in comparison with On An Island which i still find sometimes a bit soporific. Sometimes thats the right music to play, btw...so not necessarily a bad thing. But its not Final Cut or Wall, that's for sure.

Someone actually listens to The Final Cut? :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Someone actually listens to The Final Cut? :)

Quite possibly my fav Pink Floyd album! Certainly up there with DSOTM and Wall for me...these 3 are the ones i listen to most often.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Quite possibly my fav Pink Floyd album! Certainly up there with DSOTM and Wall for me...these 3 are the ones i listen to most often.

Fascinating, I have dismissed that album entirely. Maybe I will have to revisit it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fascinating, I have dismissed that album entirely. Maybe I will have to revisit it.

Listening to Endless River again right now...just seems like the first few tracks are the opening sequences of other music...and these opening sequences never seem to get to the music. sometimes, you gotta be in the right mood...maybe not this time. Hey, its Pink Floyd...its still good. just not my favorite.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Agree. I really like the Final Cut. Its so depressing and dark I always feel uplifted after playing it. I wonder if Roger has learnt to smile yet ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree. I really like the Final Cut. Its so depressing and dark I always feel uplifted after playing it. I wonder if Roger has learnt to smile yet ;)

Just finished Endless River again...predicting that one does not get much playtime relative to Wall (MFSL CDs playing now)...even compared to On An Island...Final Cut ('03 remaster) up next...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Listening to Endless River again right now...just seems like the first few tracks are the opening sequences of other music...and these opening sequences never seem to get to the music. sometimes, you gotta be in the right mood...maybe not this time. Hey, its Pink Floyd...its still good. just not my favorite.

I don't disagree. I don't think it will ever be a classic. It's pleasant and reminiscent of both WYWH and On an Island (both of which I happen to love) but you can't compare it to their classic albums with Waters' songwriting.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I don't disagree. I don't think it will ever be a classic. It's pleasant and reminiscent of both WYWH and On an Island (both of which I happen to love) but you can't compare it to their classic albums with Waters' songwriting.

I think that's an excellent way to put it. And i suspect, probably a good reason why it was not released for a long time.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I agree in that it won't ever be a classic, but I don't think it's the worst effort either. The Final Cut? They should have named the The Wall 2. There was nothing new to see on that one.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I agree in that it won't ever be a classic, but I don't think it's the worst effort either. The Final Cut? They should have named the The Wall 2. There was nothing new to see on that one.

I happen to love the Wall and somehow for ages I condensed The Final Cut to be outtakes from The Wall but I'm listening now (I'm on Fletcher Memorial Home) and I have to admit it's quite good. Thanks, Lloyd!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I happen to love the Wall and somehow for ages I condensed The Final Cut to be outtakes from The Wall but I'm listening now (I'm on Fletcher Memorial Home) and I have to admit it's quite good. Thanks, Lloyd!

The beauty about music is that we can all make choices about what we like or like a little less and establish our personal list of favourites. There is no right or wrong way about it. So enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing