Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (20th Anniversary)

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
PF Division Bell LP: US .vs. UK vinyl

Thanks for the reply. We'll have to compare notes on the pressing quality. :)

If I read correctly, the US is being pressed at QRP; US equivalent or better than Pallas (no flames plz).

John

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
No flames here...QRP presses superior vinyl to Pallas, IMO

Superior in what way Christian? Sonically or physically? I haven't had any issues with the MMJ or Speakers Corner pressings done at Pallas. Both are darn good especially compared to RTI and what Classic did.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Superior in what way Christian? Sonically or physically? I haven't had any issues with the MMJ or Speakers Corner pressings done at Pallas. Both are darn good especially compared to RTI and what Classic did.
Less pressing defects/noise floor on average than with my Pallas experience on the whole. I found Pallas no better than RTI in those categories on average. I have no affiliation with either of them...;)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Received the Euro pressing of Division Bell.

Pressing is perfect, and the sound is superb. A lot better tha the original UK pressing.

Packaging is pathetic. No liner notes, not even the song titles on the back of the cover. You get the front cover repeated in various poses 7 times. I am using the liner notes from the original LP atm:eek:

Given the choice, I will take SQ over packacing every time but this should not happen.

Packaging - 1/10

Sound Quality - 10/10

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I received my deluxe edition on Wednesday. I find the packaging and pressing first rate. Sound quality is very clean. It doesn't quite satisfy me because it seems to be slightly anemic on the low end, but I'm sure that has more to do with the original mix than this new release (I haven't heard the music in quite some time).

Or perhaps I'm just not playing it loud enough!

I do understand XV1's complaint about the packaging not showing song titles. PF packaging is often just 'different'. Note that Quality Record Pressings logo is nowhere to be found either (general buying public for this product wouldn't care I guess).

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Received the Euro pressing of Division Bell.

Pressing is perfect, and the sound is superb. A lot better tha the original UK pressing.

Packaging is pathetic. No liner notes, not even the song titles on the back of the cover. You get the front cover repeated in various poses 7 times. I am using the liner notes from the original LP atm:eek:

Given the choice, I will take SQ over packacing every time but this should not happen.

Packaging - 1/10

Sound Quality - 10/10

I received my deluxe edition on Wednesday. I find the packaging and pressing first rate. Sound quality is very clean. It doesn't quite satisfy me because it seems to be slightly anemic on the low end, but I'm sure that has more to do with the original mix than this new release (I haven't heard the music in quite some time).

I do understand XV1's complaint about the packaging not showing song titles. PF packaging is often just 'different'. Note that Quality Record Pressings logo is nowhere to be found either (general buying public for this product wouldn't care I guess).

Are you guys able to post the Matrix #'s? I want to know the difference between the EURO and US copies.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Regarding the bass. On the original pressing it was actually slightly less so yes, more to do with the original mix choices. I like it, for me it matches the laid back presentation of the entire album.

It is certainly not full like the Wall or DSOTM.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Can I take this thread partway off-piste? I am looking into the 1st mastering on CD of Dark Side of the Moon. I have read the Steve Hoffman forums and the Pink Floyd Archives. My takeaway is the 2011 SACD layer is great, but for redbook its the 1st mastering, the 20th anniversary done in Japan 1992 or so, and the MFSL.

Has anyone here actually heard this 'holy grail' 1st mastering on CD? I have the MFSL and really enjoy it, but given how much I like the album, I was just curious.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Can I take this thread partway off-piste? I am looking into the 1st mastering on CD of Dark Side of the Moon. I have read the Steve Hoffman forums and the Pink Floyd Archives. My takeaway is the 2011 SACD layer is great, but for redbook its the 1st mastering, the 20th anniversary done in Japan 1992 or so, and the MFSL.

Has anyone here actually heard this 'holy grail' 1st mastering on CD? I have the MFSL and really enjoy it, but given how much I like the album, I was just curious.

I have the 2011 SACD and the MFSL only.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have the 2011 SACD and the MFSL only.

Thanks. I'll post if I find the 1st mastering and can compare. More often than not, I hear people prefer the 1st mastering, but its not a landslide vote.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Received my Amazon UK copy of TDB and will give it a spin today. Not sure if I'll have a chance to do a comparison between it and my original today, but I will for sure over the weekend and let you know my thoughts.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Lloyd, for DSOTM you probably want the Harvest UK CD, which has an unusual black cover.

I was under the impression that this is the first time the entire album (The Division Bell) has been released on LP?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Lloyd, for DSOTM you probably want the Harvest UK CD, which has an unusual black cover.

I was under the impression that this is the first time the entire album (The Division Bell) has been released on LP?

That's correct. Some of the songs on the original vinyl were edited to fit onto 1 LP. This release is spread over 2LPs and now includes the full versions. The CDs always had the full version of every song.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Division Bell 20th: QRP pressed a bad one, for me anyway

Thanks for the reply. We'll have to compare notes on the pressing quality. :)

First time for me concerning QRP, but this pressing is full of noise on side 1. It's gotta be a pressing defect and is going back to Elusive. I am going to order the UK pressing.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
First time for me concerning QRP, but this pressing is full of noise on side 1. It's gotta be a pressing defect and is going back to Elusive. I am going to order the UK pressing.

John

Really sorry to hear that. The Optimal pressing I bought from Amazon UK is wonderful.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Really sorry to hear that. The Optimal pressing I bought from Amazon UK is wonderful.

Thanks. I rarely have this issue; it's been a few years since I received a bad new LP. Last one was a Classic that had a piece of metal buried in the lead-in grooves. How can that get by QC? I digress... The odd thing about this is that my original UK pressing had the same noise issues on the same side. WTF.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

John

You are not referring to just the opening track (Cluster One)I hope, as that contains about 1 minute of white noise, which has confused many a buyer thinking it was a faulty pressing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing