Phono cable or rewire tonearm?

Rawlit

Oct 6, 2021
Hello,

My second post here, appreciate your input

I'm debating between upgrading my DIN-RCA phono cable or rewiring my tonearm with AnalogMagik (link below)

My criteria in choosing best option by priority, assuming same cost for the 2 options:
- sound quality
- flexibility with multiple carts
- tonearm resale value

I'm currently using an Ortofon cable that came bundled with the tonearm

Cables I'm contemplating are Zavfino Gold Rush, Analyst Plus Apex Silver, Zu Audio Event ii

My analog setup:
Miyajima Destiny
Glanz MH-124s
Ortofon 6nx-tsw-1010
Gold Note PH10 and PSU10
Acoustic Solid Small Royale Turntable

Thanks

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I would go with a DIN to RCA cable and DIN termination on tonearm. Using continuous inner cable from cartridge clips to RCA plugs is a kind of diy project no matter who makes it. Using a tonearm terminated with DIN plug gives you the ability to switch tonearm cables.

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
I would not rewire your Glanz arm, partly because that will devalue the arm, but also the external cable that Glanz supply with their arms is very easily bettered, and if you can accept the cost, the Zavfino 1877Phono Gold Rush is by some margin the best sounding, most musical and electrically quiet cable that I have heard. All Zavfino cables are very good sounding, and great value, but I was surprised at how much better sounding the Gold Rush is, compared to Zavfino's Majestic and Highlands cables. I now use Gold Rush cabling with my tonearms and SUTs, including Glanz MH-94S.

I am fairly skeptical about any claims for silver being automatically 'better' than really good quality copper wire (which is what Glanz use inside their arms, and also what Miyajima use in their cartridges). Silver can of course be wonderful and does often bring a finer sense of 'detail' but equally often at the expense of tonal colour - the Zavfino Gold Rush manages to wed the very best aspects of copper with great portrayal of fine musical details, without the music being surgically dissected into small portions and flung in your face. If you value tonal, textural and temporal resolution, then you should hear the Gold Rush.

Rawlit

Oct 6, 2021
I would not rewire your Glanz arm, partly because that will devalue the arm, but also the external cable that Glanz supply with their arms is very easily bettered, and if you can accept the cost, the Zavfino 1877Phono Gold Rush is by some margin the best sounding, most musical and electrically quiet cable that I have heard. All Zavfino cables are very good sounding, and great value, but I was surprised at how much better sounding the Gold Rush is, compared to Zavfino's Majestic and Highlands cables. I now use Gold Rush cabling with my tonearms and SUTs, including Glanz MH-94S.

I am fairly skeptical about any claims for silver being automatically 'better' than really good quality copper wire (which is what Glanz use inside their arms, and also what Miyajima use in their cartridges). Silver can of course be wonderful and does often bring a finer sense of 'detail' but equally often at the expense of tonal colour - the Zavfino Gold Rush manages to wed the very best aspects of copper with great portrayal of fine musical details, without the music being surgically dissected into small portions and flung in your face. If you value tonal, textural and temporal resolution, then you should hear the Gold Rush.
Shuggie

Thank you, appreciate your input, what other cables have you compared the Gold Rush against? I can't find many user experiences with this cable

I'm after timber and tonal correctness, and also a feeling of a realistic soundstage, meaning the perception of being there at the event and perceiving each element of the music on its own

Thanks

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
Shuggie

Thank you, appreciate your input, what other cables have you compared the Gold Rush against? I can't find many user experiences with this cable

I'm after timber and tonal correctness, and also a feeling of a realistic soundstage, meaning the perception of being there at the event and perceiving each element of the music on its own

Thanks
My cable references are mostly the other Zavfino 1877Phono products, which I decided to offer in my shop after their inexpensive Mahone tonearm cable more than matched a much more expensive cable from another respected manufacturer who I shall not name. I have no experience of the other cables that you mention, and it would be wrong for me to speculate on their sonic characters.

All Zavfino 1877Phono cables are unusually good with regard to the 'spacial stuff' which does include soundstaging and sound localisation, so if you value those things, then you should hear Zavfino cables and particularly the Gold Rush..

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Hello,

My second post here, appreciate your input

I'm debating between upgrading my DIN-RCA phono cable or rewiring my tonearm with AnalogMagik (link below)

My criteria in choosing best option by priority, assuming same cost for the 2 options:
- sound quality
- flexibility with multiple carts
- tonearm resale value

I'm currently using an Ortofon cable that came bundled with the tonearm

Cables I'm contemplating are Zavfino Gold Rush, Analyst Plus Apex Silver, Zu Audio Event ii

My analog setup:
Miyajima Destiny
Glanz MH-124s
Ortofon 6nx-tsw-1010
Gold Note PH10 and PSU10
Acoustic Solid Small Royale Turntable

Thanks
Richard has rewired some of my tonearms, he's also rewired some removing all connectors before the phono amp. He does a really good job but yes, it is permanent, sort of but I have had no regrets.

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Richard has rewired some of my tonearms, he's almost rewired some removing all connectors before the phono amp. He does a really good job but yes, it is permanent, sort of but I have had no regrets.

I did not know he rewired tonearms - Richard Mak is a talented guy and a reviewer for whom I have respect. My 4Point has dual kondo coming off each headshell cartridge pin. One set terminates in an RCA box to allow for a separate cable. The other is a continuous run to RCAs. At this juncture I find fewer connections are optimal.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I did not know he rewired tonearms - Richard Mak is a talented guy and a reviewer for whom I have respect. My 4Point has dual kondo coming off each headshell cartridge pin. One set terminates in an RCA box to allow for a separate cable. The other is a continuous run to RCAs. At this juncture I find fewer connections are optimal.
That's the philosophy. From pin to phono.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing