May 24, 2010
Sydney
It's arrived. 2nd power supply for the EA-1200 :p

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
It's arrived. 2nd power supply for the EA-1200 :p

Congratulations!
And can you tell us if it really makes sense and if so how?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
What does the 2nd power supply do to the sound of the EA-1200? very good question -
IMO based on my third night of listening, the answer is WOW - EVERYTHING

better bass weight, density, drive, slam, dynamics, depth, soundstage. There is more meat on the musical bones while it maintains it's incredible transparency. complex detailed multitrack recordings become easier to follow and the purity of the sound is better. The sound is almost relaxed - but the musical notes start and stop so quickly. This phono is just so quiet - it's spooky.
Overall, music is just easier to listen to and enjoy.

IMO the the 2nd power supply PS-1200 is not a nice to to have, its mandatory for the EA-1200 to sound it's best. The dual power supply is greater than the sum of it's parts.

I have the opportunity to have a listen to the T-2000 SUT at the end of the month - I am finding it difficult to imagine how the T-2000 will make better music ;)

From Phasemation web site:

A strong clean power supply unit adopting a large power capacity R-core transformer and a directly-heated rectifier tube, 5U4G​

1. The amplifier's rectification circuit uses an R-core power transformer with more than sufficient capacity than required, a luxurious rectification circuit with a 5U4G rectifier tube and two independent left and right choke coils. Furthermore, the power transformer and choke coil are magnetically shielded to provide a cleaner and more powerful power supply to the amplifier.

Doubling the ability of the power supply​

By attaching the shorting connector of the accessories, two choke coils and two electrolytic capacitors, which were used independently for the left and right side of the EA-1200, are connected in parallel, and this lowers the output impedance of the power supply and greatly increases the capacity of the power supply.

you attach the shorting plug to the first power supply and new power supply and move the left or right umbilical cord to the new power supply - very easy.

Last edited:

RichardA

VIP/Donor
Mar 21, 2017
Calabasas CA
Nice review. I've already been on the phone.
Did the shorting plugs come boxed with the ps-1200 ?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Nice review. I've already been on the phone.
Did the shorting plugs come boxed with the ps-1200 ?

Yes. The two shorting connectors were in the new power supply box (PS-1200) as well as a power cable.

Reactions: RichardA

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
What does the 2nd power supply do to the sound of the EA-1200? very good question -
IMO based on my third night of listening, the answer is WOW - EVERYTHING

better bass weight, density, drive, slam, dynamics, depth, soundstage. There is more meat on the musical bones while it maintains it's incredible transparency. complex detailed multitrack recordings become easier to follow and the purity of the sound is better. The sound is almost relaxed - but the musical notes start and stop so quickly. This phono is just so quiet - it's spooky.
Overall, music is just easier to listen to and enjoy.

IMO the the 2nd power supply PS-1200 is not a nice to to have, its mandatory for the EA-1200 to sound it's best. The dual power supply is greater than the sum of it's parts.

I have the opportunity to have a listen to the T-2000 SUT at the end of the month - I am finding it difficult to imagine how the T-2000 will make better music ;)

From Phasemation web site:

A strong clean power supply unit adopting a large power capacity R-core transformer and a directly-heated rectifier tube, 5U4G​

1. The amplifier's rectification circuit uses an R-core power transformer with more than sufficient capacity than required, a luxurious rectification circuit with a 5U4G rectifier tube and two independent left and right choke coils. Furthermore, the power transformer and choke coil are magnetically shielded to provide a cleaner and more powerful power supply to the amplifier.

Doubling the ability of the power supply​

By attaching the shorting connector of the accessories, two choke coils and two electrolytic capacitors, which were used independently for the left and right side of the EA-1200, are connected in parallel, and this lowers the output impedance of the power supply and greatly increases the capacity of the power supply.

you attach the shorting plug to the first power supply and new power supply and move the left or right umbilical cord to the new power supply - very easy.

Great Enjoy it!

Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
the final link - added the Phasemation T-2000 MC Stepup Transformer to the dual power supply EA-1200.

Another level of realism and musicality. works a treat with Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Phasemation PP-2000 & Ortofon A90
turn me over, I am done with phono stages. :cool:

I will try the balanced phono cable from Phasemation vs my Nordost Vallaha V2 but at 1/10th the price it will have to be the real overachiever.

Emilzebira

Dec 9, 2023
Italy
good morning could you tell us how the Xv1-s sings with Phasemation..? from T-550 to ea-1200, I'm very interested, thank you very much

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
XV1-s works fine with Phasemation step ups.
Why T-550?
the EA-1200 has the T-1000 already integrated!

Emilzebira

Dec 9, 2023
Italy
I'm considering whether to get a T-550 with a good mm phono or save money and get an EA-1200... to hear the XV1-S and the Lumiere DST to the fullest

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Just got the new baby phonostage, the EA-220 and I have to say it sounds pretty darn good! I am impressed with tonality, space and dynamics for an all SS phonostage at this quite low price point. This might be tge best out there for under 1500 euro.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
What arm is on your new AFIII? Sounds like fun weekend ahead :)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I am getting my first turntable and this weekend I am testing the EA 1200 and the Vanderhul SE+ I am pretty excited

That will be fun. What cart are you using?

Dave777tx

Sep 8, 2023
Texas
Going to play with MSL gold and Platinum, PP 200 and MSL Mono
Only going to keep one, gold or Platinum
we will tests others but those are the main ones

Dave777tx

Sep 8, 2023
Texas
About the weekend tests, Phasemation AE 1200 beat the Vandenhul Easily
Kronos Pro beat the Tech Das Air Force III
MSL Platinum is better obviously than Gold but the Gold is really good too
So the set up will be the next Kronos, MLS Platinum and Phasemation EA 1200
I got the recommendation of the Phono from Dynamic Sounds Associates, Phono III? Anyone have an opinion? \
As a plus we listen to Reel to reel to

Attachments

• IMG_5582.jpeg
    IMG_5582.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5581.jpeg
    IMG_5581.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5580.jpeg
    IMG_5580.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: morricab

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing