PC->USB->DAC setup versus streaming or disc players

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
I have not figured out why ANY of this makes a difference. You're just loading bits in a buffer.
One does indeed.
However, the bits part is probably the most overrated and the least important aspect of digital audio.
When configured right, any protocol will transmit the bits faithfully from one device to another.
Indeed, our bits are “digital” hence do have digital robustness.

Timing is another issue.
If the DAC is slaved to the sender (like SPDIF), the input jitter will have its impact.
If the protocol is asynchronous (streaming, async USB) there is little reason to assume the timing is a problem.
One thing that is left is noise.
It is thinkable that different interfaces produces a different kind of noise and a possible different sound quality if this noise creeps into the DAC.

Of course comparing is difficult.
Say if one e.g. compares a Wavelenght/PC with a Lumin, is the difference due to streaming/USB or might it be that a tubed DAC like the Wavelength sound different from a non tubed DAC?

Vincent Kars

Jul 1, 2010
The problem with streaming is you cannot control the noise on the network unless you are talking about streaming from one component to another across one wire like an I2S.

Ethernet interfaces are galvanic isolated.
I2S is not.
Care to elaborate how a straight wired connection like I2S controls the noise?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Not picking but how is streaming galvonic isolated . They are the same or am I missing something .
Also as in i2s as my msb UMT plus to the dac what ever they are doing only they know. But HDMI or rj45 i2s is not isolated but in the case of a USB converter it is jitter reduced by several ways . One being better voltage with a far better PSU .
As for a standalone for the purpose CPU say win server 2012 and a dedecated USB card with Lin Psu or battery
This has to be better than a USB from typical CPU. I have tried to do alA/B/C as in UMT plus disc , network streaming from a nas or USB . The disk or streaming beats the USB witha typical CPU. I have a server 2012 and PPA USB and all the other stuff coming so time will tell from there .

Al

Vincent Kars

Jul 1, 2010
Streaming is using a media server and a media renderer communicating over a network.
All Ethernet ports are galvanic isolated (transformer coupled).
This is part of the Ethernet standard.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Oh ok I have opened them up many times but never noticed and transformers they mus the small and look like a caps to me. Thanks I did not know that. Now can you explain why we use cat6a shielded for networking in audio as I have this for any of my systems. I know the connectors have the shield at both ends but the sockets do not unless they are special.
My UMT plus has only cost 5 e shileded ad the i2s audio connection from the transport to the dac ,s i2s I out.
Al

coxhaus

Mar 11, 2014
Ethernet interfaces are galvanic isolated.
I2S is not.
Care to elaborate how a straight wired connection like I2S controls the noise?

I think it might be all the noisy digital gear attached to the network which causes noise. Even the Ethernet switches seem noisy. Maybe a point to point system with 2 PCs with linear power supplies. I don’t have answer but I was serving up files from a Microsoft server across a house network and the top end air was not as good as local files. No I don’t have the latest CAT cables but I think it is a typical network as I was a network guy many years ago.

My buddy is using I2S with his MSB Diamond system that sounds pretty good. It is a point to point I2S connection.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm digging my Horus connected via CAT7 to my Pyramix workstation using the Ravena protocol...

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I have not figured out why ANY of this makes a difference. You're just loading bits in a buffer.

I agree totally with this. And while NOT a computer expert, none of the explanations I read why this or that should matter make a lot of sense to me, particularly when it's connected to specific traits such as 'a more 3D soundstage', 'extended highs', etc.

I've been streaming since the original squeezebox and haven't looked back. With its USB out (SBTouch) into an asynchronous DAC, I'm not convinced there's any better transport method out there -- your computer doesn't need to be directly connected to the DAC. The NAD Bluesound components that are a currently avail do the same thing, so there are high quality options to stream and use whatever DAC you want.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi Bruce
This is the first time I hear somebody on an audio forum actually using Ravenna.
Kind of low latency DLNA.
What is your experience?

The Ravenna protocol allows for Low 5.33, Extra 2.66ms and Ultra 1.33ms latency options. This is Live In to Live Out. Live to Record is down to 0.665ms. The best workstation I have ever used. Uses the Google Chrome browser and can use multiple workstations converters via a Dell 10pt switcher.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing