Paul McGowan/PS Audio DSD is all about FOMO

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
They might be the biggest bands of your time, but they aren't the biggest band of many people's time including mine. Most of the music I'm most interested in was originally recorded on tape and not digits. Most of today's rock bands aren't in the same league talent wise as those from the 60s and 70s IMO.

I grew up with the music of the 60's and 70's and much of it was the same tripe that you think todays groups are releasing. If I never have to hear another Beatles tune, Stairway to Heaven, DOSM, et al I will be a happy man. Been there, heard it all too much.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Hi Andre.

I enjoy reading your posts. You raise a lot of interesting ideas.

I agree with you when you post there is a lot of absolutely fantastic music being put out today as well as over the past 30 or so years. This is unequivocally true across all genres. And, there are entirely new and wonderful genres of music that have had their birth in this time interval.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi Andre.

I enjoy reading your posts. You raise a lot of interesting ideas.

I agree with you when you post there is a lot of absolutely fantastic music being put out today as well as over the past 30 or so years. This is unequivocally true across all genres. And, there are entirely new and wonderful genres of music that have had their birth in this time interval.

Thank you Ron. All I am saying is that the last 30 years have brought us music that I personally, and many, many others find indispensable.

For some one to write off the last 30 years, not to mention 2012, or 2013 is inconceivable. I am a classic rock geek with the best of them..
but not to recognize the new Rose Windows, Polvo, or the new Arcade Fire album as anything but art would be a crime.

I will also go on record as being a world music fanatic, and that explosion happened over the past 20 years. For me life would not be the same without my Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Youssou N'Dour, Salief Keita, Ali Farke Toure, Sheila Chandra, Maryam Mursal, Gigi, or Angilique Kidjo albums!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I grew up with the music of the 60's and 70's and much of it was the same tripe that you think todays groups are releasing. If I never have to hear another Beatles tune, Stairway to Heaven, DOSM, et al I will be a happy man. Been there, heard it all too much.
I am not really understanding your post. Just because you may be sick of the beatles, led zeppelin, or pink floyd, does not suddenly diminish their status.

Funny, we drove up to LA last weekend with a USB stick filled the Beatles In Mono box, and we were both singing along the whole way.;)

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
For me all the ages are fantastic in differnt ways
I am 57 and listen to music from the 50 s. On to now
As the rock today does not have sole the tunes are good
Now jazz classical they were always great what ever
The time frame. As for the quality it's complicated
The music that is of the most wanted does not compare
To tunes that are newer but recorded great.
For me from 80 on the picks get better
We all have music we connect with from the past and music we have now learned to connect
With. It is the music that is recorded the best that moves me the most
With recordings that I love the genre I enjoy
But the recordings that are just Stella
Gives you goosebumps and dare I say teary eyed to just enjoy the systems we have.
Witch is another topic do we listen to the music or system.
Well when the music is Stella it's just the music

Al

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thank you Ron. All I am saying is that the last 30 years have brought us music that I personally, and many, many others find indispensable.

For some one to write off the last 30 years, not to mention 2012, or 2013 is inconceivable. I am a classic rock geek with the best of them..
but not to recognize the new Rose Windows, Polvo, or the new Arcade Fire album as anything but art would be a crime.

I didn't write off the last 30 years, I said that most of the music that I love the most was recorded on tape. I will also admit that I have never heard of the Rose Windows, Polvo, or Arcade Fire. What type of radio stations are giving them airplay?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) And yes, Stockhausen and a lot of classical avantgarde is exclusively available on 16/44. And not surprisingly, Emerson's Beethoven string quartet cycle as well.)

Al. M,

Great to have a Stockhausen expert in this forum! Do you know where I can locate a CD version of CARRE? I once ordered an used LP from Germany, but unfortunately I got an LP in miserable condition. And since you refer to the Emerson, I have not listened to the Emerson playing the Bartok Quartets for long - excellent suggestion for this weekend!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I am not really understanding your post. Just because you may be sick of the beatles, led zeppelin, or pink floyd, does not suddenly diminish their status.

Funny, we drove up to LA last weekend with a USB stick filled the Beatles In Mono box, and we were both singing along the whole way.;)

You are correct my opinions will not diminish their status in the minds of anyone else. But every time I hear how great they were I also remember that some of the music they wrote that was a bad as any top 40 tunes of the day or now. Just think how meaningful tracks such as "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", "She Loves You", "Yellow Submarine" or the magical "I Am A Walrus"

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I didn't write off the last 30 years, I said that most of the music that I love the most was recorded on tape. I will also admit that I have never heard of the Rose Windows, Polvo, or Arcade Fire. What type of radio stations are giving them airplay?

Yes, you said that but you ALSO said "most" of the bands of "today" are not as talented or interesting as those from the 60s and 70s. That is a blanket statement. Mind you I am a 60s/70s music OBSESSIVE.

No, you did not write off the last 30 years, but you made it clear you have no interest since the music you like was recorded to tape.

Honestly, I don't listen to the radio..ever. I discover new bands on forums, youtube, and word of mouth. Robert Baird of Stereophile has
been an indispensable source for me.

By the way, Rose Windows was reviewed in Tone Audio, and Polvo in Stereophile! Rose Windows is on SubPop, and I was really surprised that a 96/24
download appeared on HDtracks after I bought the CD. I am not surprised you have not heard of them, but I am surprised you have never heard
of Arcade Fire, since they are making a play for the big time, with a slicker sound that resembles Talking Heads and David Bowie.

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
You are correct my opinions will not diminish their status in the minds of anyone else. But every time I hear how great they were I also remember that some of the music they wrote that was a bad as any top 40 tunes of the day or now. Just think how meaningful tracks such as "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", "She Loves You", "Yellow Submarine" or the magical "I Am A Walrus"

Oh boy. Let's move on......:eek:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Andre, another big fan of Angelique Kidjo here! Her version of Sade's Pearls with Santana and Josh Groban is one of my go to tracks.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

So you hate the Beatles. Big deal.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, another big fan of Angelique Kidjo here! Her version of Sade's Pearls with Santana and Josh Groban is one of my go to tracks.

Dude she rocks! A friend dragged me to a club 20 years ago in Manhattan to see her and I was blown away!

We then saw her open for Santana at the Beacon, they she came on and sang with the band!!!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Re-read the posts. You must just like reading what you type.

I don't think you hate the Beatles. I think you are not knowledgeable about the Beatles and you consider
them beneath you, but that is a different story. It is "I Am The Walrus"..btw.

That aside, what do you listen to on a regular basis?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
They might be the biggest bands of your time, but they aren't the biggest band of many people's time including mine. Most of the music I'm most interested in was originally recorded on tape and not digits. Most of today's rock bands aren't in the same league talent wise as those from the 60s and 70s IMO.
Kind of sad. I'm about your age, and have a huge collection of '60's and early '70's rock and I could never make a statement like that and mean it. It's quite possible that the mediocre music of the late '70's and early '80's soured you on rock music and you never went back? I was there at one time too. Truth to tell, though, although much of today's music doesn't have the "freshness" of the 60's and '70's, today's musicians are vastly talented and also have to try to create new music in the milieu of having the entire history of music recorded and easily available to anyone at virtually a moment's notice. Back in the 60's and '70's a rock group could draw on blues, bluegrass, jazz, world music and later classical and be fairly sure most of their audience would be unfamiliar with the allusions; I can't imagine that happening today

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al. M,

Great to have a Stockhausen expert in this forum! Do you know where I can locate a CD version of CARRE? I once ordered an used LP from Germany, but unfortunately I got an LP in miserable condition. And since you refer to the Emerson, I have not listened to the Emerson playing the Bartok Quartets for long - excellent suggestion for this weekend!

Microstrip,

Great to encounter a music lover who likes Stockhausen! You can order the CD here:

http://www.karlheinzstockhausen.org/cd_order_form_2013_english.htm

At the online site posted there you can pay by PayPal, but once you get to the check-out page I think you can also pay by credit card if I am not mistaken. Carre is on CD 5, together with Gruppen, a Stockhausen classic.

Yes, the Emerson quartet playing Bartok is incredible!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Lee, you are working under the assumption that there is going to be some mass DSD archiving of everything in the vaults.

I know that Mark Wilder has archived a lot of important catalogs like Miles Davis, etc. but I don't believe that they will release everything. I'm just hopeful they will release a lot. We will see.

Sony has a history of big splashy hardware announcements and no follow-through on the software side. I hope I am wrong but we have to learn from history. And I'm a huge Sony/SACD fan.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing