Patricia Barber...so many but which ones?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I haven't had much exposure to Patricia Barber. I would like to change that, but there are so many pressings and titles that I thought I would ask which one's are the cream of the crop...:confused:

Are the MFSL's the best....they do seem to be the most pricey:( The new 200gram RTI pressing of Cafe Blue, any good:confused:...how good:confused:.....so many pressings, I'm confused:(:confused:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Best way to change that is Monday night, 8pm at the Green Mill, Chicago :)

http://www.greenmilljazz.com/phpBB2/calendar.php

After hearing her live a few times (almost every time I've been in Chicago) I don't listen to her albums anymore. I hear her way too often at shows & etc. But if I were to pick one album, I'd pick A Fortnight in France for a live album and Companion for a studio. Cafe Blue is too "audiophile" for my tastes.....

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I like the live stuff and 'modern cool' too. But Gary's right about going to Chicago, she's much more engaging live which is not always the case. The Green Mill is Al Capone's old speakeasy.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I have Cafe Blue on 45 vinyl but prefer Modern Cool.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I own three Patricia Barber Mobile Fidelity SACD's: Verse, Modern Cool, and Companion - all are wonderful albums. The Companion disc contains an awesome arrangement of "Black Magic", and Modern Cool contains the striking "Constantinople". But the Verse album is absolutely a stunning work musically and sonically from the clever and foot tapping beginning track "The Moon" to the melancholy ending track "If I Were Blue".

Ms. Barber is a prolific composer, lyricist, and consummate pianist. Every track contains wonderfully unique arrangements with structure, pace and rhythm making her albums clearly identifiable. Her music style allows her fellow musicians to fully participate.

The Mobile Fidelity productions possess excellent presence, articulation, dynamics, and imaging. I consider Verse one of the musical and sonic gems in my music collection and each listening session with this album always gets my full attention.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I still trying to decide if Patricia Barber is really good or if she just sings pretentious babble that sounds cool.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Best way to change that is Monday night, 8pm at the Green Mill, Chicago :)

http://www.greenmilljazz.com/phpBB2/calendar.php

After hearing her live a few times (almost every time I've been in Chicago) I don't listen to her albums anymore. I hear her way too often at shows & etc. But if I were to pick one album, I'd pick A Fortnight in France for a live album and Companion for a studio. Cafe Blue is too "audiophile" for my tastes.....

I agree with Gary three picks although I do have them all, including Box sets and her latest Cafe Blue remix on HQ-180 to compare with my box set 45. "Box sets" good luck with thoughs, very exspensive on the market place now.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I still trying to decide if Patricia Barber is really good or if she just sings pretentious babble that sounds cool.

You're close enough to Chicago to really find out :)

I wouldn't judge her by her albums. Like Bob says - she is much more engaging live.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I agree with Gary three picks although I do have them all, including Box sets and her latest Cafe Blue remix on HQ-180 to compare with my box set 45. "Box sets" good luck with thoughs, very exspensive on the market place now.

I always felt Companion was underrated. Problem is that many of her older albums are no longer available on vinyl (and the eBay prices are ridiculous). Cafe Blue is a bit overprocessed for my taste. I also think it's digital mixed down to analog tape? But I might be wrong.

I wish I had a copy of the Patricia Barber piece Wayne Donnelly wrote for me several years :( Somewhere in storage :(

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You're close enough to Chicago to really find out :)

I wouldn't judge her by her albums. Like Bob says - she is much more engaging live.

Because she looks cute in her mohair suit? After awhile, all of her songs start running together and sound the same. I like her in small doses, but she gets tiring to me fairly quickly.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Anybody have her current MFSL LP's.....The Cole Porter mix and Mythologies? Worth a listen :confused:

Cafe Blue seems to be her most desired LP, looking at the price that the MFSL's go for:eek:!!

I just haven't had a lot of exposure to her and have heard that her MFSL pieces are spectacular.

Modern Cool is high on my list now, but which pressing?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Big fan of her (among many other female Jazz singers), so I got all of her CDs and SACDs.

'Companion', 'Modern Cool', 'Verse', 'Mythologies', ... all good stuff.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Anybody have her current MFSL LP's.....The Cole Porter mix and Mythologies? Worth a listen :confused:

Cafe Blue seems to be her most desired LP, looking at the price that the MFSL's go for:eek:!!

I just haven't had a lot of exposure to her and have heard that her MFSL pieces are spectacular.

Modern Cool is high on my list now, but which pressing?

SACD, from MoFi. ...Or the LP (only the best ones).

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Big fan of her (among many other female Jazz singers), so I got all of her CDs and SACDs.

'Companion', 'Modern Cool', 'Verse', 'Mythologies', ... all good stuff.

We are in sync there, Bob....

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Today, I played Barber's Cole Porter Mix on MFSL LP. Gotta say this LP is AWESOME!!!

Absolutely love it, and for those who haven't heard this pressing, all I can say is you've gotta hear it:cool:.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing