Pass Lab owners - Check in!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I just bought a pair of XA100.5's to go with my XP-30. Wow! They sound great, but boy do they run hot, hot, hot. I can only imagine the bigger XA's or the new Xs amps. :)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Congrats...Good Move !!! Hot ? LOL...the XS series are on another level of hot...;)

So they sound better than the Burmeisters I see in the back ?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congrats...Good Move !!! Hot ? LOL...the XS series are on another level of hot...;)

So they sound better than the Burmesters I see in the back ?

Christian,

I think I like them better already. I can barely touch the heat-sinks. I guess the Xs-150's must be unbearable (for the summer) :(

I thought I'd start with the XA100.5's until I can move the 911's and jump on the Xs-150's :)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Christian,

I think I like them better already. I can barely touch the heat-sinks. I guess the Xs-150's must be unbearable (for the summer) :(

I thought I'd start with the XA100.5's until I can move the 911's and jump on the Xs-150's :)

Yes, but think about the winter. Supplemental heat source.
I've had my xs300s running 24/7 for a few weeks now. They definitely throw heat but they're not unbearable.

Joe, we need your assessment of Pass vs Burmester after you've had a chance to listen.
I was on the verge of buying the 911s with the 808 before I decided to go the Pass route.
I never did get to hear the Burmesters though.

You look like you have a little audio mart going on in your room!

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I just bought a pair of XA100.5's to go with my XP-30. Wow! They sound great, but boy do they run hot, hot, hot. I can only imagine the bigger XA's or the new Xs amps. :)

Congrats Joe! I have my XAs under my air conditioning vent and the cold air blows straight down on them, so they don't seem too hot.:)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Steve,

Thank you. They are breaking in nicely :)

Frank,

You made the right call. I can only imagine how special the Xs-300's sound. There's definitely a difference so far. The sound seems smoother, with a wider and deeper sound stage. There's a more more gentle ease to the music, less in you face and slight further back - which I like.

Ha! The Audio Mart is open for business. I think the 911's are going back up for sale :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Steve,

Thank you. They are breaking in nicely :)

Frank,

You made the right call. I can only imagine how special the Xs-300's sound. There's definitely a difference so far. The sound seems smoother, with a wider and deeper sound stage. There's a more more gentle ease to the music, less in you face and slight further back - which I like.

Ha! The Audio Mart is open for business. I think the 911's are going back up for sale :)

Sounds nice! Good luck with the 911s...i would think they should move quickly given their tremendous reputation. And since you've already got XP30...you're in good shape them to go XS!

Vinw

Apr 24, 2011
Great to have found a Pass Labs forum with incredible collection of the best equipment there is from real owners. Looking forward to learn and read more about this superb product as well as others........

regards,
Vin
XA30.5 happy owner

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Great to have found a Pass Labs forum with incredible collection of the best equipment there is from real owners. Looking forward to learn and read more about this superb product as well as others........

regards,
Vin
XA30.5 happy owner

Welcome to the forum Vin!

You have a great amp in the XA30.5

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Sounds nice! Good luck with the 911s...i would think they should move quickly given their tremendous reputation. And since you've already got XP30...you're in good shape them to go XS!

Thanks Lloyd :)

Vinw

Apr 24, 2011
Joe, thanks! Great information and enjoyed reading your posts with your first hand experience on a variety of top audio pieces.:)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joe, thanks! Great information and enjoyed reading your posts with your first hand experience on a variety of top audio pieces.:)

Thanks Vin,

My XA100.5's are breaking in nicely and sound wonderful.

jfkbike

Jan 13, 2011
Florida
Long time fan of Mr. Pass. Currently only using a Pass XP-15 but my old Threshold FET9 pre-amp and SA-4e amp are still doing great sounding service for one of my employees.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Not an owner, but trying out the xp-20 with the X350.5.

Enjoying it a lot and certainly different in its presentation to my cj gear.

Driving my Maxx3's. What difference in sound and bass control would the xa100.5's be vs the x350.5. PS, I have a 26x22 room and do play it loud quite a bit. Does the xa100.5 have enough power to control the maxx3's?

PS, one small whinge. The mute on the remote is in an extremely un ergonomic position. It should be swapped with the display button.

Cheers

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...trying out the xp-20 with the X350.5.

Driving my Maxx3's. Cheers.

Interesting change or potential change for you!! Very cool. How are the 2 sets (pass v CJ) different? There is the match in the middle of course...GAT and Pass. As you know, i run CJ GAT with Gryphon Colosseum and love it. Yes, i have rCA-xlr which is likely not perfect...but i love it nevertheless and have no desire to even look elsewhere.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Not an owner, but trying out the xp-20 with the X350.5.

Driving my Maxx3's. What difference in sound and bass control would the xa100.5's be vs the x350.5. PS, I have a 26x22 room and do play it loud quite a bit. Does the xa100.5 have enough power to control the maxx3's?

PS, one small whinge. The mute on the remote is in an extremely un ergonomic position. It should be swapped with the display button.

Cheers

Hi Shane,

Wow! I am glad to see you branch out. I have an XP-30 with an XA100.5's now. The XA100.5 is in the process of being sold and replaced with either the XA160.5 or XA200.5

The XA100.5 is probably the most tube-like amp in their line up. The bass on the XA100.5 is softer than the other XA amps. The XA350.5 is tighter and faster being from the X.5 series of amps. The XA amps are sweeter than their counterparts.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Shane,

Wow! I am glad to see you branch out. I have an XP-30 with an XA100.5's now. The XA100.5 is in the process of being sold and replaced with either the XA160.5 or XA200.5

The XA100.5 is probably the most tube-like amp in their line up. The bass on the XA100.5 is softer than the other XA amps. The XA350.5 is tighter and faster being from the X.5 series of amps. The XA amps are sweeter than their counterparts.

Thanks for that Joe. I don't really need a tube like ss amp when I have the real thing :)

The xp-20 and x350.5 is sounding pretty sweet at the moment.

Do you leave the amps on all the time, or just when time to listen.

It will be interesting what difference you hear going from the 100.5's up the tree.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing