Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A wonderful report by Lee! Congratulations to Oliver and Elliot!

Reactions: MJB and Elliot G.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thanks for responding so fast. I am sorry for being vague. I am concerned about both airborne and physical vibrations since it is an air bearing and had real problems with my Rockport Sirius tonearm on both fronts.

The side walls and adjacent rooms and asymmetrical ceiling soffits make my listening space very problematic, but I have the luxury of locating the source components and the preamplifiers in an adjacent room separated from the listening room. The area where the components will be located is protected by a 4 foot dividing wall.

Also I will be able to close an acoustic curtain over the opening between the listening room and the adjacent equipment room. So I think very little acoustic vibration from the speakers will find its way to the turntable.

Also the speakers in the listening room and the front-end components in the adjacent equipment room all are sitting ultimately on concrete slab. And the turntable will be resting on David’s Nothing Stand, the weight of which could unsettle an Aegis Cruiser. So I think physical vibrations are unlikely to be an issue.

My set-up will have plenty of potential problems, but I breathe a sigh of relief with regard to vibration issues.

Was the Rockport turntable and tonearm in the line of fire of your speakers?

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
The side walls and adjacent rooms and asymmetrical ceiling soffits make my listening space very problematic, but I have the luxury of locating the source components and the preamplifiers in an adjacent room separated from the listening room. The area where the components will be located is protected by a 4 foot dividing wall.

Also I will be able to close an acoustic curtain over the opening between the listening room and the adjacent equipment room. So I think very little acoustic vibration from the speakers will find its way to the turntable.

Also the speakers in the listening room and the front-end components in the adjacent equipment room all are sitting ultimately on concrete slab. And the turntable will be resting on David’s Nothing Stand, the weight of which could unsettle an Aegis Cruiser. So I think physical vibrations are unlikely to be an issue.

My set-up will have plenty of potential problems, but I breathe a sigh of relief with regard to vibration issues.

Was the Rockport turntable and tonearm in the line of fire of your speakers?

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
The Rockport was not in the line of the speakers because it was behind the speakers. But it was close to JL F-113's which were likely much of the problem. I had the floor reinforced in key areas with 6x6 verticals to ground and 6x6 joists. When I turned off the JL's things got better but still had limitations in volume, which a Vibraplane helped somewhat, Buying a heavy (275 #) turntable (Triangle Arts Ref SE without suspension made it usable with the JL's. I only had the Rockport arm, not the TT.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing