Outernet, Internet for areas without Internet

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That was a great read. Thanks for posting it. Space developments are picking way up.

Push data comes and goes. I remember pointcast in the early days of the Internet. I can see being on a boat away from shore and still receiving the latest news and such. Free access really makes it. Hope they get the full deployment for everyone to have this type of access (would have to address multiple languages which they don't mention).

WDB

Feb 15, 2012
They have plans to make content available in many languages, right now they are still in testing phase and have mostly been broadcasting in English but lately they have been sending some stuff in Arabic to get info into Syria. They are up on two Satellites right now. To get the stream right now you need a ku band satellite dish but the Lantern will work without a dish. I am old enough to remember a time when you didn't have all the worlds knowledge availabe to you at a moments notice, it is a shame that so much of the world still doesn't have internet access.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
This is a great project and I wish it all the best !

So much of the world is missing out on our huge knowledge repositories not just because of limited access, but also due to language barriers. I hope the efforts at translation increase the depth and breadth of what's truly valuable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing