OS X Mountain Lion

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have been using this now for the past week and for the $20 to purchase it is well worth the upgrade. More integration via the cloud with notices, calendars and messaging. You can now send messages via your imac. It also includes voice messaging

Here is a brief summary from the Apple site

http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I am VERY concerned about my stuff being in the cloud and its security, the ownership being completely mine and the charges that will be made to keep things in the cloud.

For as long as I am able, I plan on avoiding the cloud.

Steve Williams

I am VERY concerned about my stuff being in the cloud and its security, the ownership being completely mine and the charges that will be made to keep things in the cloud.

For as long as I am able, I plan on avoiding the cloud.

wow Gary

I have never heard anyone with the same feelings about storing to the cloud. Have there been any reported security issues.

IMO the cloud is the future, here now

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
If you choose a cloud service, make sure you choose one which won't lock you in. Choosing iCloud means you will be locked in to Apple for all eternity. It is much wiser to choose Dropbox or Google Drive. At least these services guarantee you cross platform support.

Just yesterday a friend was lamenting that he wanted to move to Android but all his music was on iTunes. I told him: sucks to be you. Don't cement yourself to proprietary platforms.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
From a good friend:

Silence from Apple. I bought a new MacBook Pro with OSX Lion and a free upgrade to Mountain Lion from MacMall along with a bunch of other stuff. The hard drive died a few days later after I had spent hours setting it up. The Genius Bar at the Apple Store replaced the hard drive in about 10 minutes. Thank you, perfect, though I now had hours of set up to redo. Then they loaded Mountain Lion on the blank hard drive. There is no iLife on the Mountain Lion. No more iPhoto, no more iMovie, etc. I contacted Apple and asked to have back what I purchased. Everyone was very friendly and said they would get back to me. Silence.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
wow Gary

I have never heard anyone with the same feelings about storing to the cloud. Have there been any reported security issues.

IMO the cloud is the future, here now

I have spoken with numerous people--mature adults, NOT kids--that have expressed the same concerns. It is too new to have many people aware of the crimes and hacks that may have been done to their files in the cloud.

In speaking with one of my colleagues, he said that his office is among the most secure because he doesn't use a computer for his records. They are all on paper.

Steve Williams

I can't disagree with what Keith says. Makes perfect sense.However I've just never had a problem with a Mac but have had countless headaches with PC's

As far as kids are concerned some of the smartest billionaires are computer geek kids. I know a lot of mature adults and can say not all are as intelligent as some of the kids. :)

Most will say the future is cloud technology but no doubt the concept will ever improve.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I can't disagree with what Keith says. Makes perfect sense.However I've just never had a problem with a Mac but have had countless headaches with PC's

As far as kids are concerned some of the smartest billionaires are computer geek kids. I know a lot of mature adults and can say not all are as intelligent as some of the kids. :)

Most will say the future is cloud technology but no doubt the concept will ever improve.

I was speaking with my 22 yo daughter today about the cloud. She said the cloud is the future and her generation has grown up with it, the advantages, the disadvantages and the hacks. Everyone is susceptible, and she doesn't feel like being the rebel left behind because she doesn't use the cloud, so she uses it.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
In an Australian paper today: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...ow-hacker-wiped-mats-life-20120806-23orv.html

Once the hacker gained access to Honan's iCloud account, he or she was able to reset his password, before sending the confirmation email to the trash. Since Honan's Gmail is linked to his .mac email address, the hacker was also able to reset his Gmail password by sending a password recovery email to his .mac address. Minutes later, the hacker used iCloud to wipe Honan's iPhone, iPad and Macbook Air remotely. Since the hacker had access to his email accounts, it was effortless to access Honan's other online accounts such as Twitter.

So this guy exploited a single point of failure (managed to compromise his email account), then wiped his cloud, remote wiped his iPhone, iPad, and Macbook - then wiped everything else. Could this happen to you? Won't happen to me - I have some data on cloud services, but everything else is stored locally on my PC at home. The only way for someone to wipe all my data is to burn down my house AND wipe the stuff on my cloud at the same time.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
In an Australian paper today: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...ow-hacker-wiped-mats-life-20120806-23orv.html

So this guy exploited a single point of failure (managed to compromise his email account), then wiped his cloud, remote wiped his iPhone, iPad, and Macbook - then wiped everything else. Could this happen to you? Won't happen to me - I have some data on cloud services, but everything else is stored locally on my PC at home. The only way for someone to wipe all my data is to burn down my house AND wipe the stuff on my cloud at the same time.

That's my mindset, too. I worry a lot about this sort of thing.

Steve Williams

All great and valid points Keith. Only thing I have on the cloud are photos, music and similar. The rest I have in a safe in my house

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Steve Wozniak predicts 'horrible problems' with cloud computing

STEVE Wozniak, who co-founded Apple with the late Steve Jobs, has predicted "horrible problems" in the coming years as cloud-based computing takes hold.
Mr Wozniak, 61, was the star turn at the penultimate performance in Washington of "The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs," monologist Mike Daisey's controversial two-hour expose of Apple's labour conditions in China.
In a post-performance dialogue with Mr Daisey and audience members, Mr Wozniak held forth on topics as varied as public education (he once did a stint as a school teacher) and reality TV (having appeared on Dancing with the Stars).
But the engineering wizard behind the progenitor of today's personal computer, the Apple II, was most outspoken on the shift away from hard disks towards uploading data into remote servers, known as cloud computing.
"I really worry about everything going to the cloud," he said. "I think it's going to be horrendous. I think there are going to be a lot of horrible problems in the next five years."
He added: "With the cloud, you don't own anything. You already signed it away" through the legalistic terms of service with a cloud provider that computer users must agree to.
"I want to feel that I own things," Mr Wozniak said. "A lot of people feel, 'Oh, everything is really on my computer,' but I say the more we transfer everything onto the web, onto the cloud, the less we're going to have control over it."
Prior to Saturday at the Woolly Mammoth theatre in Washington, Mr Daisey and Mr Wozniak had met once before, in California after a performance of "The Agony and the Ecstasy" in its original version in February 2011.
Mr Wozniak was moved to tears, but a year later Mr Daisey came under fire when it emerged that sections of his one-man show dealing with the Foxconn plant in China where iPhones and iPads are assembled had been fabricated.
Public radio show "This American Life," which had broadcast portions of "The Agony and the Ecstasy," went so far as to issue a retraction. Mr Daisey meanwhile reworked his script, albeit without toning down his powerful delivery.
On the minimalist stage on Saturday, seated on plain wooden chairs, Mr Daisey and Mr Wozniak came across as a geek version of Tweedledum and Tweedledee in their baggy black clothes and matching beer bellies.
The bearded, fast-talking Mr Wozniak sported running shoes and a massive wrist watch. In the theatre lobby, for Saturday only, one of the very first Apple I computers ever built - assembled in Jobs' garage - was on display.
"Everything I designed was purely out of my head, never out of a book," recalled Mr Wozniak, who quit Apple in 1987 after 12 years, taught fifth-graders, hit the lecture circuit and gave away some of his fortune to good causes.
Many in the audience echoed Mr Daisey's concern about Foxconn's work force, but Mr Wozniak said he expected labour conditions in China to evolve as the nation grows richer. He also commended Apple for its oversight of its factories.
"We know we [citizens and consumers] have a voice. We can speak [about labour conditions], but we can't act like, oh, Foxconn is bad or Apple is bad," he said.
Mr Daisey begged to differ: "I hear what you're saying about that fact that everyone goes through an evolution, but it's not as if the evolution was natural in the sense that we are the ones who brought the jobs there."
While Apple designs its products in the United States, all its manufacturing takes place in China - a sore point in an election year in which unemployment and a long-term exodus of manufacturing jobs overseas have been campaign issues.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing