Oracle Paris Mk V turntable.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just received a call from my new (to me) local Calgary dealer and the TT is ready to be picked up. Hopefully I can get there today.

It seems the left channel on the old tonearm was dead, so I suspect that is why I was getting the hum with both a cartridge installed or not.

I'll be in absolute heaven if in a few hours I can listen to some vinyl again after 6 months! :D

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Just received a call from my new (to me) local Calgary dealer and the TT is ready to be picked up. Hopefully I can get there today.

It seems the left channel on the old tonearm was dead, so I suspect that is why I was getting the hum with both a cartridge installed or not.

I'll be in absolute heaven if in a few hours I can listen to some vinyl again after 6 months! :D

Fingers firmly crossed for you John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks Barry!

Well...I'm back to spinning! Got a bit of a scare as I wasn't getting any sound from the left channel. Checked my CDP and no problems, so I figured it must be the phono cables I was using. I switched them out for a different pair and voila....I'm in business.

So, thanks to Jacques Riendeau at Oracle for the great support and sending me a replacement tonearm, and for my new dealer to set it up and install the new cartridge. My dealer listened to it this morning and really liked the combination of the Paris and the Sonata.

Guess what I'll be doing tonight?:D

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Guess what I'll be doing tonight?:D

Composing a list of top 10 dacs? :p

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Haha! I love Captain Obvious! :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I took a few quick shots to show the turntable. This is really the first time I've used my new DSLR, so forgive the quality. I need some software as well to play with the images and have them turn out better.

Oracle Paris 3.JPG Oracle Paris 4.JPG

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, That's a super looking set up you have. The carbon fiber Oracle arm must sound great! Love the way it integrates the headshell as one piece with the arm tube....Wish more arms would do this.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hooray! now we're talking! Or let me "spinning"...
Looks fantastic, hey Johnny does your Oracle have a dust cover?
Cheers and enjoy, RJ

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, That's a super looking set up you have. The carbon fiber Oracle arm must sound great! Love the way it integrates the headshell as one piece with the arm tube....Wish more arms would do this.
Davey - The Oracle/Grado combo has taken performance to a whole other level, and I couldn't be happier.

Hooray! now we're talking! Or let me "spinning"...
Looks fantastic, hey Johnny does your Oracle have a dust cover?
Cheers and enjoy, RJ
RJ - It does, and I'll be installing it later today.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012

much like the titanium Alphason HR100/Xenon ...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The E.A.T. Flat uses the same idea.

EAT Flat TT.jpg

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
There have been a few other tonearms with the same idea. I believe this is technically beneficial as there is no break between headshell and arm tube, resulting in no possible signal loss due to the junction. Plus, the rigidity is guaranteed with this design. I guess it is more challenging from a manufacturing perspective and therefore possibly more costly to implement.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The only thing I would have preferred was for the armlift to be curved, so I could lift it with one finger and have better control. Now I have to pinch it with 2 fingers and move it onto the LP. The arm is very light, so I'm not comfortable letting it ride on just the top of my finger.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The only thing I would have preferred was for the armlift to be curved, so I could lift it with one finger and have better control. Now I have to pinch it with 2 fingers and move it onto the LP. The arm is very light, so I'm not comfortable letting it ride on just the top of my finger.

John, I can see how that would be an inconvenience...a curved armlift would be a lot better. Probably very difficult to manufacture from carbon though.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ah, the E.A.T. E-Flat. Seems oddly familiar to me. :p

I wonder why! :p You've had yours for a while now, how are you adjusting to the straight tonearm lift? I'm starting to get used to mine.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I wonder why! :p You've had yours for a while now, how are you adjusting to the straight tonearm lift? I'm starting to get used to mine.

The arm required a bit of rethinking on my part. The E-Flat arm sort of sticks to its mount via a magnet. To engage the arm I have to manually lift it off and away from the magnet and then engage the cue lever. This is necessary because the cue itself can't disengage the arm from the magnet on its own. I guess it was a trade off that EAT had to employ due to the fact that the arm is flat as a board. A conventional latch type mechanism that is found on most tube type arms just wouldn't work on this arm.

The cue lever on my arm is very close to the back of the arm and it doesn't give you much room to maneuver, but with a bit of practice, the whole operation takes on a second nature quality, so no worries really.

You'll get used to your own arms quirks and in no time you won't even be thinking about it.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012

Me neither, hence my adjustable DIY armlift ...

IMG_20150525_115957.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing