One song and your system...

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I also prefer the LPs, (any day before the CDs). Also, the Hobson LP reissues from years ago, (I think there were six of them) are really good. I have the whole Living Presence catalog ripped and it's just OK. My vote is for the LPs. I'm with DaveyF on this one.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Frantz, you are absolutely entitled to your opinion....However, IMO, the Mercury CD's are but a pale shadow of their vinyl counterparts. A clear case of YMMV:cool:

I'll give the cd's one advantage over the LP's. They are devoid of any tics, surface noise ect. Other than that, they don't deliver the music like the Classic record reissues.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Also, digital playback is under continuous evolution - and this is particularly notorious in the SOTA and unhappily very expensive systems, such as the DCS's and Metronome's. The few times I listened to these units in appropriate systems, I was really impressed with the quantity of extra information and realism they can deliver over the more affordable players. Although there is still a few aspects where IMHO vinyl scores better, good digital, even in CD format, has shown to be much better than we could have assumed ten years ago.

One aspect if critical in digital - system synergy and room matching. SOTA digital playback seems to need much more optimization than analog playback.

BTW, I do not own a Vivaldi or a Kalista. But they are in my dream list ...
+1...I have found the difference between great players...Wadia s7i, Esoteric X-01SE, Krell 505...and the Metronome Kalista Ref/C2A to be tremendous. An ease and effortlessness of detail that is remarkable and levels above. I will also include Scarlatti and Stahl-Tek in that rarified category, though there aspects which did not quite do it for me for these two...personal taste really. As many will note, I have a soft spot for Zanden and having now gotten to know its latest spec 4-box, I can say that (for me and also carefully set up with NOS tubes and a lot of HRS isolation...makes a huge difference as Microstrip suggests), I continue to be amazed by its ability to play my music collection. I have gotten to know about a dozen or so owners, and all of them still own their Zanden 5-7 years later....that's a long a time in digital. Only 2 of them have additional digital...one also has DCS Scarlatti and Metronome Kalista Ref, and the other Wadia 9 series I believe.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing