One song and your system...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
If you were to have one song....only one song to show off the capabilities of your system, what would that song be?

I'm not looking for reference songs or perhaps your favorite song. Nothing that brings you back to the time when you were a teenager all smitten on the hot brunette that just so happened to be your age at the time that just moved in down the street. I'm not interested in your top shelf, "go to" recordings or something you own that is so rare and unobtainable that you feel it worthy to add to the thread and I'm not looking for a song that has been beaten to absolute death at audio shows worldwide.

I'm looking for that one song that if you had a chance to win 10 Million Dollars to provide the absolute best your rig could do to show its performance capabilities, what would that one song be?

Then, if you care to elaborate on it, why? What about that song makes your rig shine or made you choose that song out of everything else out there?

Tom

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
This is too much pressure, I think I am going to have a nervous breakdown!

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
The album Kremerland. The track called "Meeting with a friend."

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For LP Disc 3 of Witches Brew from Classic Records 45 rpm box series.

For SACD, Gaia from James Taylor's Hourglass SACD

For CD, I can't think of any but Janet Jackson's Velvet Rope and Quincy Jones' Q's Jook Joint are always a lot of fun.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
John Rutter, Pie Jesu, Reference Recordings - Dallas Wind Symphony Orchestra.

Incredibly quiet passages, soaring chorals, solos, orchestral detail, and fantastically deep organ bass...all incredibly well recorded/mastered by Professor Johnson of Reference Recordings. Does it demonstrate every aspect of a system? Have not really given it much thought...but i will say, whether for dealers, audiophiles or everyday folk...all of them have been spellbound by that track more than any other i've played for people in the past.

In fact, after that, the dealer went out and bought the CD just for demonstration purposes.

after an audition, the Velodyne Dealer went out and bought Amos Lee (Blue Note Records)...his first album...which i brought for the audition of his Velodyne DD18+ vs DD18 shootout. The CD showed that even simple acoustic music (Norah Jones does back up so you get the idea)...could have incredible bass which was of a quality that demanded great subs...it helped make the Velodyne demonstration that much more impressive.

dingus

Mar 22, 2013
Graham, WA
probably Steely Dan's title track from the Two Against Nature 5.1 DVD-A.

its got everything. first off its an excellent recording and performance, plus its got a great rhythm, lots of percussion, sax, horns and the fantastic keyboard and guitar work the Dan are known for.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
DCD Song of the Stars- the room turns into a concert hall... your pants actually flap! You'll need 1000 watts of clean SS power with the 101E MKII to make this happen.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I have thought long and hard on this one and I came up with one song that definitely makes my rig shine in the most beautiful of ways. From John Williams, Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra, "Olympic Fanfare". Had a audio buddy over the other week who normally does not ever listen to classical music and after about 4 hours of non-stop listening in the sweet spot, I asked him if was OK to play this particular track. He didn't say a thing throughout the entire performance and I glanced over at his arms and noticed that he looked like a plucked chicken, the goose bumps were so prominent. When it was over he said, and I quote, "Wow, normally I can't stand classical music but that experience made me want to go out and purchase lots of it". He had commented that it had sounded to him like the orchestra was coming out of nowhere in front of him and that there was no congestion of the instruments, even through the busy passages. In addition, he was stunned at how realistically well the chimes sounded while everything was going on and he was particularly impressed with the sound when the tympani was struck.

I didn't think something classical would be my "one song" but this particular one makes my rig sound priceless.

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I had a similar experience Tom.When the writer from Town & Country was here to feature my room he actually got teary eyed when I played A Night on Bear Mountain. The photographer and his assistant were motionless and slack jawed. I said, "Now THAT is why I love classical music!" :D

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
there are so many to choose from......one that comes to mind at the moment....

for 45rpm Lp; disc 2 from the single sided Classic Records re-issue of 'Gounod Faust Ballet Music, Bizet Carmen Suite', 'Helen's Dances, Bacchanalia/Funeral March of the Marionette'.

this is such demanding music dynamically and requires such precision to capture completely and what i've noticed is how every step in system and vinyl playback improvement has made very noticable improvements in this piece. just when i think i have it completely nailed more musical truth gets uncovered. the first section with 'Helen's Dances and Bacchanalia' can be almost painful to listen to at any sort of SPL's. then at a certain point you get past the hash and bombast and it becomes music. you think all the detail and dynamic shading is there, then you hear it 'better' and you realize your reference got advanced. and then advanced again and again as you approach the ideal. the 'March of the Marionette' is a fun and almost comical piece of music, and is familiar to all of us as the theme from Hitchcok's TV show from the 50's and 60's. it's very subtle yet that aspect get's better and better as your system gets better and ultimate dynamics and bass articulation yield more and more musical truth.

if one's vinyl playback and system can sail through this test staying completly natural, getting all the dynamcs and without that 'cringe factor' then good on you.

i've used this disc actively for about 5 years as a reference. with room changes, the Equi=tech, turntable and arm changes, all the Durand tonearm investigations, the speaker changes, speaker alignment and adjustments, amp changes, even the recent fuse upgrades. it's a tough nut to crack but at this point i think i've got it nailed. OTOH i've felt that way before.;)

i'd say that my system in it's current configuration is able to extract quite an amazing amount of dynamc energy while maintaining ultimate ease and musical flow. it's easy to listen to and enjoyable as well as breathtaking. you are physically affected yet musically satisfied.

if you were to carry this disc from system to system it would quickly separate the men from the boys.

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Is this record still available Mike?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks. I just bought it.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
if Peter were coming over id play "keith dont go" :b

i really dont demo my system for anyone, when i want to impress myself i'll reach for the Stravinsky's Petrouchka with Oskar Danon/Royal Phil and recorded by none other than ken Wilkinson. its a long OOP unobtanium vinyl Chesky CR42

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
there are so many to choose from......one that comes to mind at the moment....

for 45rpm Lp; disc 2 from the single sided Classic Records re-issue of 'Gounod Faust Ballet Music, Bizet Carmen Suite', 'Helen's Dances, Bacchanalia/Funeral March of the Marionette'.

it is a sonic spectacular and part of the living stereos recorded in the uk. i had an orginal 1S press i lucked into back in the day and eventually sold it to Chad. next to the ansermet ballet box 'gounod faust' fetched the most money of the RCAs. i have the classic reissue in 33 and its great, the 45 must be heaven.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
it is a sonic spectacular and part of the living stereos recorded in the uk. i had an orginal 1S press i lucked into back in the day and eventually sold it to Chad. next to the ansermet ballet box 'gounod faust' fetched the most money of the RCAs. i have the classic reissue in 33 and its great, the 45 must be heaven.

thanks Rob.

lucky Chad.

i have the Classic 33 as well, but no original pressing.

the 45 is a few levels beyond the very good 33 in pretty much every department in degrees of magnatude; particularly in space, ease, subtlety and dynamics both micro and macro.....it is heavenly and all 4 one-sided discs are forces of nature.

yet the Classic 33 is no sloutch.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i sold my original copy when classic records was just a glimmer in hobson's eye. to be honest, most if not all the reissues are better than the orginals (i feel a fight coming on from the old school protagonists). i have to agree with arthur salvatore on this subject.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i sold my original copy when classic records was just a glimmer in hobson's eye. to be honest, most if not all the reissues are better than the orginals (i feel a fight coming on from the old school protagonists). i have to agree with arthur salvatore on this subject.

i got back into vinyl back in 1994-1995 just when Hobson was coming out with the RCA's and recall reading all about the bruhaha between the re-issue fans and OP fans. i've not had many OP's to compare the Classic re-issues to so i'm not knowledgable about that question.....other than i've yet to prefer an OP to any 45 re-issue of these RCA's. i just love what Hobson did and got all the Classic 33's and then all the 45's.

as a group they are easily my favorite records.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing