One for the Good Guys!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Awesome story! I'm so glad they caught that no good bastard. He probably won't do much time though.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Don't you wonder where they were planning on selling this stuff? Audiogon?

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
they got lucky the local police cooperated.

I was a victim of identity theft a few years ago. I got a call from Capital One confirming a purchase in Toronto muffler shop for a $3500 item. I told them it was not mine, and after a few exchange of info, we established the transaction was fraudulent. We agreed to close my account. Two days later, I got another call from Capital One again, somebody claiming to be me called their office, give them heck and reopened another account under my name, and charged another $10k. I did a lot of search and for some reason I was able to establish the address of the perpetrators. I called the local police station (Toronto), gave them all the information I have and requested them to check out this person, in this address..I was told that they get hundreds of calls like this everyday and they don't have the resources to respond and pursue any of them.

We did not have to pay for anything (totalling $16,000) but it took us more than a year to straighten our credit rating.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Great story but my guess would be they got out on Bond, left the area, changed their names and are doing another version of the same scam elsewhere.

25 years in prison would be a reasonable sentence!!!

There are lots of people who don't do 25 years for murder.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You see it, hear it, and read about it every day. The range of penalties dished out across the U.S. for committing the same crime are staggering. There is no such thing as equal justice. As for O.J., of course he was never convicted of murder. They had to finally get him on some petty thug charge.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
:)Hello Forum Members,

Down here in Georgia where I've been for the past year, there is a program on TV I've grown fond of. It's called "American Greed". It is amazing what people will do to get over on others. Of course one of the things that stand out is, many of those who get ripped off has to do with their own greed, or not paying attention to the ole axiom, "if its too good to be true it usually is". I learned that lesson the hard way. Several years ago I purchased "McIntosh 500 watt power amp" for a low ($1500) price. The owner said he was going over seas and did now want to take it because of the additional weight and the fact it did not match the voltage/amps in the area where he was going. The kicker was, he was leaving the next day so I had to act quickly. Bottom line, I did get the amp, lugged it back home and hooked it into my stereo system. Smoke began to billow out. After unplugging everything and pulling the cover off the amp, I found a mess on the inside. Checking with several tech shops I was told it would cost more than the $1500 I paid to bring this amp up to playing weight. My loss the sellers gain. He was gone in a flash and the police could not find him (sign).

On the other hand there are those of us who is just looking to buy that special piece of audio equipment and willing to pay a fair price for it. But, on the other end (seller/rip off artist) who is looking to get rid of some junk (lipstick on a pig) and it's almost like they see us coming. There are those people who have no qualms about taking advantage of others while looking us straight in the eye. I purchased an Ampex reel to reel tape deck that was supposed to be 2 track/15ips capable. The guy shipped the machine from California to Baltimore Maryland in a cardboard box with bubble wrap and peanuts. Not only was the machine in several pieces when it arrived, it was not what we had agreed on regarding specifications. I could never get back in touch with the guy. The playing field is not as level as it ought to be but I won't stop trying to get that gold nugget. There are honest folk out there. I just have to find them. Forgive me for being a bit long winded.

jazzbo

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You see it, hear it, and read about it every day. The range of penalties dished out across the U.S. for committing the same crime are staggering. There is no such thing as equal justice. As for O.J., of course he was never convicted of murder. They had to finally get him on some petty thug charge.

Well it was like Paris Hilton doing 30 days for DUI and Phil Spector and OJ getting off for murder.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Well it was like Paris Hilton doing 30 days for DUI and Phil Spector and OJ getting off for murder.

There are two effects going on here: One is the effect that having money will buy you a different outcome in the judicial system vs. a person relying on a public defender and the second is that you could commit the exact same crime in 50 different states and receive 50 different sentences even if you had a public defender in all 50 cases.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing