One Amigo Visits South East Asia and Hears Some Amazing Systems

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
To summarize..... each system I heard was different and outstanding in its own special way. The Philippines is filled with music lovers who have outstanding systems. The above 5 were very special for me to not only hear but to kindle new friendships with all of the people I met there. It was a visit that I will never forget

Thank you to Jack, Philip, Sam. Jerry and Jim. I will never forget your friendship and hospitality

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
Steve--wow, it is evident that this was an extraordinary trip, and thank you for posting the inspiring photos. Starting at the top, were you able to hear the Goldmund Eidos Reference Blue (looks like this was at the HK show)? And if so, what were your impressions of that system?

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
Sam

It was an absolute delight to have met you. Your system is world class and sounded majestic to my ears. I have always loved electrostats and to have heard the stacked Quad 57's was for me an unforgettable experience.

You have every reason to be proud. One can see that you are an ardent audiophile and have been for many years. Unlike the rest of us you continue to own and use everything you have ever bought and to have them so pristine is quite an accomplishment

Sam also took Phil and I for another amazing Chinese food lunch to a local restaurant where once again the food was simply wonderful. A soup that I had never had before was to die for along with a large grouper as well as IIRC a lobster roll

I continue to love all of the food that I sampled over that week and Sam knew the local proprietor so the food was extra special. After lunch we headed back to Sam's for a short listen and that is when he played the Amicis album. I believe it was either track 4 or track 5 of the second album that I thought was so good that I ordered both albums. Sam had wanted us to stay longer but I had thought I was meeting my wife back at Jack's only to find that she and Margie were out shopping and didn't return until much later. I should have known better Sam but there will be a next time I am sure

Thanks you for such a wonderful few hours of music and food. It was great to have finally met you

One of the more interesting digital rigs I have seen--47 Labs CD transport into Berkeley DAC. The combination of minimalism in the transport and straightforward, no-compromise, pro-audio-style design in the Berkeley is intriguing. And FM Acoustics preamp into Lamm monos powering stacked Quads? Fascinating combination of different approaches to gear design - I'm having trouble imagining how this would sound.

Steve Williams

One of the more interesting digital rigs I have seen--47 Labs CD transport into Berkeley DAC. The combination of minimalism in the transport and straightforward, no-compromise, pro-audio-style design in the Berkeley is intriguing. And FM Acoustics preamp into Lamm monos powering stacked Quads? Fascinating combination of different approaches to gear design - I'm having trouble imagining how this would sound.
Sam's system is world class and sounds wonderful

Those speakers looked brand new as did all of his gear. He keeps them in impeccable condition

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Magnificent! That is truly an astounding experience! Looking forward to reading more. Regarding Jim's system, is the VS a 6-piece speaker? 4 towers and 2 subs?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Thank you for sharing Steve. I'm impressed at a 9 hours listening session!

Well, safe to say I'd probably enjoy a trip to the Philippines.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Thank you for documenting your travels and these wonderful systems, Steve. It's intriguing to see what other people do in designing their audio systems when 'the sky's the limit'. It sounds like you had a terrific trip.

Steve Williams

Magnificent! That is truly an astounding experience! Looking forward to reading more. Regarding Jim's system, is the VS a 6-piece speaker? 4 towers and 2 subs?

Well the speaker itself is 4 towers but it also has 2 ginormous crossovers sitting behind each speaker and they are enormous

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Thanks for taking the time to fill us in on this part of your trip. Some amazing systems there.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well the speaker itself is 4 towers but it also has 2 ginormous crossovers sitting behind each speaker and they are enormous

My GOODNESS, they ARE huge! I thought those were subwoofers!

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Thanks Steve for the great pictures, not just of my system but all the local systems you had a chance to listen to. Just to clarify, both speakers aren't really brand new, the d3 close to two years but because of it's biting tweeter, I grabbed a good deal on the Aida and ended up with both which was not my intention. However, resale value for raidho's are, to say the least, depressing, if one can even find a buyer and instead of being low balled I did some mods which I discussed in another thread to attenuate the brightness to my liking. As for the planes, I'm sure many members are saying those are all gonna vibrate but that's better than my wife's voice resonating daily "I've got no more shelves and table tops in our room to place my things!

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Steve for the comprehensive chronicles of your trip. It's a great effort in words and pictures and I love going through every word of it. We here in the Philippines have been traditionally known for our hospitality, way back when Manila hosted the Miss Universe Pageant in the mid 70s, wherein lots of of beauty contestants stayed on after the contest was over. :D We certainly enjoyed being with you and Cathy as much as you did with us. :)

Steve Williams

Thanks Phil

Speaking for both Cathy and I, we were both truly humbled by the way everyone was not only so kind to us but also welcomed us into their homes without hesitation. What I loved was the closeness of everyone. You guys have known one another for most of your lives and have stayed close. Family is also paramount and treated with great respect in the Philippines. Those are two very wonderful virtues IMO and you all have everything to be proud of. For that I salute you. Jack knows my feelings on those issues as well Philip

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Speaking of Miss Universe....You've got one in Cathy Steve! :)

Steve Williams

BTW I forgot to mention another item in Jim's amazing room. I saw it but never got to hear it. I think I have a picture of it with all of Jim's arms and cartridges. He had yet another very limited Koetsu cartridge called the Moss Agate ( not sure if 2 words or one). Only 12 ever made and I think Jack told me the stone cones from a different part of the same stone of which the Jasper is made

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing