Omni Gon The Final Phonostage

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
A few details - the easy stuff ..:

Phono specs for OmniGon s/n 10 (ALF's):
RIAA accuracy (20 Hz to 20 kHz): better than +/- 0.1 dB.
Phono linear phase derivation (DLP) 20 Hz to 20 kHz phono MM: less than + 0.2°
Phono linear phase derivation (DLP) 20 Hz to 20 kHz phono MC (3-6 Ohms): less than + 1.5 °
Frequency response Phono MC1: -3 dB at 0.4 Hz and 210 kHz
Phono Overload MM: 400 mV
Phono Overload MC 1: 38 mV
Phono MM IMD RIAA de-emp. 20 Hz to 20 kHz: less than 0.019%
Phono MM THD RIAA de-emp. 20 Hz to 20 kHz: less than 0.02%
Phono MC1 IMD RIAA de-emp. 20 Hz to 20 kHz: less than 0.03%
Phono MC1 THD RIAA de-emp. 20 Hz to 20 kHz: less than 0.03%
Channel separation Phono: 92 dB
Output impedance: 120 Ohms
Tube complement: VT229 (2x), VT231 (2x), E80cc (4x), CV135 (4x)

And .... Lundahl cokes only inside power supply .... Syntax' pictures do only show the part of the iceberg which is above water line ...

Good morning,

signal/noise is part of the easy stuff.

To make us happy please show us some pictures from under the water line,

Regards,

Reinhard

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I guess, it's not a quote, just my remark. Maybe I don't understand your question?

Oh, no big deal at all; you said that $33,500 was a good deal for the well 'calibrated' people.

And then later on you made an allusion to the German Mafia, isn't it? Lol :D

I simply found it funny in my own way that's all. Totally innocent and pleasurable to read.

Saturntube

Industry Expert
Feb 8, 2011
Austin Texas
www.SadurniAcoustics.com
Most important, does it have a "Soul"....ijijijiiji

It will sound like crap unless you use 40k cables!

Kidding aside, it looks just wonderful I guess it will be very hard to come by on Agon again.... Overkill is always good!

Do you have some mroe details about the preamp, Does it use a SUT? all tubes?

DDB

Mar 28, 2012
And I won't hold it against the unit that it has cathode follower output stages (120 ohm output impedance)

However, how about signal to noise....not going to be as impresssive as a whole slew of phono stages out there, but I will grant you that noise is not bad as long as it is low enough to be non-intrusive.

Got Noise?

Tom

It is not a cathode follower output stage ....:cool:

The signal to noise depends on the tubes - 82 to 88 dB/1 V output / unweighted.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
soul...

[/B]

Kidding aside, it looks just wonderful I guess it will be very hard to come by on Agon again.... Overkill is always good!

I believe that your question is, "does it have a Soul?

Well, it is a full-function preamplifier and to anthropomorphize its characteristics here is simply an artifact of this audio virus. However, those tubes do put off a some heat, not much, and can bring forth a little light when it is dark, the mains are clean, and the air is clear...bringing a little life into the container.

I do believe that the Omni Gon does that better than the other full-function preamplifiers that I have had as a conduit feeding the audio chain in my room.

Last edited:

DDB

Mar 28, 2012

All tubes - all triode - up to 4 pairs SUT.
The one mentioned and offered by ALF does feature 4 different MC inputs (each which it's own SUT) and 1 MM phono input.
An unique passive RIAA phono EQ.
All hard wired point-to-point.
Each tubes has it's own tube heater supply.

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side

Well, that is indeed a interesting question (beside from those who want some technical info for their own education) ;)

Hm, all I can say, it makes audiophile life definitely really interesting...

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
(beside from those who want some technical info for their own education) ;)

It would be better to educate the guys building that amp how to handle a solder iron or keep the cases closed.

Others can be educated in counting rectifier tubes,

Regards,
Reinhard

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Others can be educated in counting rectifier tubes,
Regards,
Reinhard

You are Jonny English, right?
Always close like a Shadow but when your moment is coming, you press always - for 100% - the wrong button.
(And there are so many...)

;)

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
In the thread opening we find "full symmetrical" and on the amplifier faceplate "full differential balanced".
But there is not a single balanced interface. Only RCA´s and even the XLR´s are only connected pin 2.
One XLR pair is not connected at all.
Can someone explain that? Please only answers with electronic skill.

Reinhard

CSL

Apr 22, 2012
DDB or Daniel or Dietrick or his other alias -- sucks you in and then de-frauds you

I prepaid for an Omnigon in 2011 and was given excuse after excuse for non-delivery. I was silly and believed them. When it was finally delivered, i found that many others around have had delays of up to 2 years after they have paid him, and that many people never get their money back.

I also paid 8,000 for his 8x8 amps with the written promise that upon audition, if not liked, could return for full refund. He delivered them in december 2012. i listen a couple of days and rejected them just as Syntax , i later found out, had done. Daniel, alias lots of names, took the amps and has never paid me the money....... And this is only part of the story. I cancelled other things like a silver coil and instead took a copper coil in a xover he was building for me. +5000$ but he will not give me back my money. reason? None. He just ignores my mail and phone calls. .....The story is endless of his defrauding people.

Since my experience i am connecting with many others with the same experience. I am filing charges with the District attorney of fraud and international wiretape fraud which is a felony in my state.

The story is endless of his deception and fraud. beware.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
An overpriced Heath Kit ? That sux. "full differential balanced" with RCA's ???...that's a new one. Sorry for your troubles CSL. Syntax praises The OmyGodigon as the best thing since sliced bread...all other's need not apply.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
I prepaid for an Omnigon in 2011 and was given excuse after excuse for non-delivery. I was silly and believed them. When it was finally delivered, i found that many others around have had delays of up to 2 years after they have paid him, and that many people never get their money back.

I also paid 8,000 for his 8x8 amps with the written promise that upon audition, if not liked, could return for full refund
He delivered them in december 2012. i listen a couple of days and rejected them just as Syntax , i later found out, had done. Daniel, alias lots of names, took the amps and has never paid me the money....... And this is only part of the story. I cancelled other things like a silver coil and instead took a copper coil in a xover he was building for me. +5000$ but he will not give me back my money. reason? None. He just ignores my mail and phone calls. .....The story is endless of his defrauding people.
Since my experience i am connecting with many others with the same experience. I am filing charges with the District attorney of fraud and international wiretape fraud which is a felony in my state.

I have had some private emails regarding mine and Mr. L's situation; I want to be patently
clear that Syntax is in NO way connected with our business dealings with Axinia Schaefer or Dietrich "Dertonarm" Brakemeier.

Syntax is a friend and a fellow audiophile that has a driven passion for finding what is possible in our hobby and sharing his solutions with his postings.

Kind Regards,
Alan
aka ALF and Unoear

DEV

Oct 19, 2011

I also paid 8,000 for his 8x8 amps with the written promise that upon audition, if not liked, could return for full refund. He delivered them in december 2012. i listen a couple of days and rejected them just as Syntax , i later found out, had done. Daniel, alias lots of names, took the amps and has never paid me the money....... And this is only part of the story. I cancelled other things like a silver coil and instead took a copper coil in a xover he was building for me. +5000$ but he will not give me back my money. reason? None. He just ignores my mail and phone calls. .....The story is endless of his defrauding people.

Sorry to read such, reading your statement above you might want to edit when you wrote "he delivered them in december 2012" did you mean 2011 because it's currently April 2012 so that date isn't making sense.

Can you clarify exactly how much out of pocket you are because reading it appears $8,000.00 for the amps but then makes referrence to + $5,000.00 for a coil etc.

What country are you located in?

DDB these are some VERY serious accusations, you really need to comment and provide your side.

CSL

Apr 22, 2012
in my post not saying syntax connected, only that he returned the 8x8 just as i did.

for DEV post below......17,000 for prepayment on Apolyt, silver coil in xover cancelled and he instead used copper coils but never repaid the $,
and various other things.

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
México city. rauliruegas@hotmail.com
Great S/N as well!

Tom

Dear Tomelex: Any phono stage can " shine " at 1mv and where is not refered to any know standards. Things could be different and with real meaning if that spec was refered example: MC stage refered to 0.5mv. and according the standard/norm/rule: EIA/CEA-490-A , IMHO that s/n specs means almost nothing as almost all the other specs on that item.

Btw, how can any one that is proudly of his design to write that spec on the RIAA accuracy?: " better than 0.1db ". Why better and not the right value the precise one? because the measurement tools that he use it can't do it? why then?

In the other side, as important is the precise RIAA deviation value/measure as important is to know wich is the RIAA deviation for each channel and if that is maintened under any cirmcustances and through the time.

I can go on with all those specs but is useless when there is no references on standards and on each single channel.

A different subject could be that the manufacturer came here and show us a chart/diagram of those two channels RIAA frequency response measured through an Audio Precision System Two device inside a standard reference. Because numbers are only that if not related to standard references.

Do you want to know a true differential, zero feedback, direct coupled and no SUTs ( that always degrade the signal ) tube phono stage with IMHO more real engennering and nothing to " hide " ?:

http://www.atma-sphere.com/Products/#MP-1 http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/atmasphere_mp1iii.htm

IMHO not all what shines is always gold!. Well, Syntax said is gold ?????

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing