Odd problem! Any experts?

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Hi all, this is one for the experts. Not sure if there are any on here but can’t hurt to ask…

I have v140 monoblocks with a Ref 6 pre. I have a bizarre issue and wondered if you’d seen it before. I hope my explanation will make sense. I’m in the uk and have had this amp looked at twice now, by the main arc repairer in the uk and another hifi shop who are well respected.

One of the monoblocks is really noisy whilst playing music and when not. It is whining and cracking very loudly at a constant volume. This happens when the preamp is on and not muted. It happens when cold and warm. If the pre is muted it doesn’t make any noise at all. If I switch preamp channels around it always happens only on the same monoblock. I have changed all valves over between monos and same problem with that amp. Amp is biasing correctly. Preamp has new valves in. So now onto the odd behaviour, this is only happening when in conjunction with my ref 6. I have another old pre and there is no noise with this. So it seems to be a combined issue.

I hope that makes sense! It’s as if the ref 6 is passing noise down and only one amp can’t deal with it.

Any thoughts?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hmm ,
Have you tried just using one monoblock and switching between the left and right Ref6 outputs? Try to isolate the problem....
Otherwise it could be a bad capacitor,resistor In the signal.path
Just a guess
Good luck

Last edited:

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Turned out to be a single component with solder failing in one power amp and was easily fixed. Also the main valve had failed in the preamp.

Reactions: Mikem53 and MPS

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Glad your problem was identified and resolved. Both amps and line stage are excellent

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing