NY Times Article on Art of Listening

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Interesting article. My dogs and cats 'talk' to me constantly and I understand what they are trying to convey. What really makes them mad is when they are talking to me, they know I 'get it,' but I won't do what they are asking me to do. I love it when they gang up on me when it's time for their walk. I have three dogs, and sometimes they will send an emissary to give me 'the look.' If that doesn't work, all three of them will come in the room and arrange themselves in a triangle and they will all just stare at me. You would have to be daft if you didn't understand the messages they are conveying.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I have one dog who won't shut up. If I don't comply with her immediate needs, she gets louder and louder until I do. (as in 130db)
Abigail can be quite annoying at times. Let me FedEx her to you. Then, you'll have four! :D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have one dog who won't shut up. If I don't comply with her immediate needs, she gets louder and louder until I do. (as in 130db)
Abigail can be quite annoying at times.
Let me FedEx her to you. Then, you'll have four! :D

Well, she is a female after all. What kind of dog is Abigail?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Well, she is a female after all. What kind of dog is Abigail?

I was afraid you'd ask that. She's a stocky little black one with a crooked tail. My wife tends to attract strays, me included, I suppose. :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
No matter where I live, we tend to attract stray cats and dogs. They just show up at our door. Even my neighbor's dog is trying to defect to our house. She is very unhappy at her present home and knows she has it made in the shade when she escapes and runs over to our house. One of these days I will get some video footage of her knocking on our front door when she escapes. She literally beats on the storm door with her front paws to announce her presence. We always let her in and she plays with my three dogs and has a good time until her owner shows up to take her home. I think he gets kind of embarrassed about it, but it's not my fault his dog escapes and runs over to my house.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
NY Times said:
(...) Listen to your significant other’s voice — not only to the words, which after a few years may repeat, but to the sounds under them, the emotions carried in the harmonics. (...)

Myles,

Should we consider this as an endorsement of the theories that consider that detailed spectral harmonic distortion analysis is the correct tool to look for amplifier differences? ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

Should we consider this as an endorsement of the theories that consider that detailed spectral harmonic distortion analysis is the correct tool to look for amplifier differences? ;)

I think it's like anything in life be it audio or medicine. One measurement/test can't tell you the whole story because things are seldom black and white :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing