Number of components to audition??

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Phelonious Ponk;204446[B said:
]Speakers -- I don't care how good the room person is, unless you like a really dead room (and I don't think they sound very good), I think you need to try to find a speaker thats off-axis response very closely resembles its on-axis response, so reflected sound is at least in the same ball park as direct sound. I'm not sure exactly how you do that, given that most manufacturers don't publish such measurements and almost no reviewers pay any attention to off-axis response. Beyond that, buy what you like; speakers are the right place to choose your color because they're going to be colored no matter what you choose.

I completely agree.

Amps? There are more than a couple of people here who will disagree with this, but I'm of the opinion that if two amps with more than sufficient power for the load sound signigicantly different, one of them is Wrong; capital W. Assuming that amps in the high ranges you're talking about are, at least, going to do an adequate job of driving the speakers, the differences between them should be small enough that I don't know how you can make a call between them without having them in your system where you can readily switch back and forth between them and closelly compare them in context. Personally I'd pick my speakers, then look at the universe of amps of robust build quality with way more headroom than I need, buy the least expensive of the lot, and put the rest of the money into new music.
Tim

Of course! How can two different sounding components both be "right?"

The better the components are, as they approach "perfection," the more they should sound THE SAME.

If the $10k amp sounds like the $50k amp, get the $10k model and $40k in music.

After all, the music is what you bought the system for.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Decide on a budget, then decide on speakers. Choose an amp that seems to work well, if it doesn't then amps are relatively easy to swap out and good ones tend to hold their value (especially if you bought used or well-discounted in the first place). With the rate at which source components are improving and changing today (e.g. DSD DACs) it doesn't make much sense to me to try to lock in a choice there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing