Note the Date! Genesis Dragons Bon Voyage Party in April!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
View attachment 19894

View attachment 19895

View attachment 19896

Each pair of 12-inch woofers is supplied via Neutrik Speakons from one-channel of the SCAmp. Just the speaker system laid out with all the cables and electronics take up 180 sq.ft. so these speakers are NEVER going to go into a small room.

That's an interesting point. If I remember correctly, one of the surprises that the audio community had, was when HP crammed a pair of Infinity IRS V's into his fairly small room and apparently made them work.
What would be the smallest room that the Dragon's would likely work in?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Steve, Marty and Mobiusman,

It was great to see you all last night. Always great to see Steve, and great to meet Marty and Russ in real skin.

All these cables are like the 'tail' of the Dragon. When the Dragon starts to do its thing, we shall await for the part which Bruce Lee in one of his movies, called: 'Dragon Whips Its Tail'. :D

Jadis, it does take a large tail to make all those 24 woofers move. The cables alone weigh over 100 lbs. And when the Dragon wags its tail then -

It was easy to tell where I was sitting. When the Saint Saen's organ symphony was played on the Studer A810, I crapped in my pants. Seriously, that was a helluva reproduced showpiece.

Thanks, Marty. I'm glad that you liked what these Dragons can do with organ pedal notes. I think that we made the walls bulge ;)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's an interesting point. If I remember correctly, one of the surprises that the audio community had, was when HP crammed a pair of Infinity IRS V's into his fairly small room and apparently made them work.
What would be the smallest room that the Dragon's would likely work in?

As the designer, it is my prerogative not to sell the system if I think that the room is too small. If you don't have at least 1,000 sq.ft. of space, I won't even consider.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I just wanted to express my sincere thanks to Gary and CArol, his sister, for hosting a wonderful party for a bunch of audio nerds and music lovers. It was easy to tell where I was sitting. When the Saint Saen's organ symphony was played on the Studer A810, I crapped in my pants. Seriously, that was a helluva reproduced showpiece. Everyone knows that Gary is very knowledgeable about music and was kind enough to help Amazon and ebay take my money tonight in return for purchasing some pearls he recommended. Thanks again for a wonderful evening.

Marty,

Thank you so much for the present of your two demo discs. Quite a number of your selections are new to me, and I am looking forward to enjoying them!

For those who haven't seen the Dragon let alone hear it, it is a work of art and Gary tells me that it takes 9 months to make the speaker. The number of drivers in this speaker is insane with 56 tweeters and 24 12" woofers and midrange ribbons. Just to fabricate the wings of the speaker takes 1 1/2 weeks. Kudos Gary. Thanks also for great food and music.

Steve, it was great to see you. Thanks for taking the time to come. The wings take 1 1/2 weeks to fabricate and cure...... EACH.... there are 4 wings.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ok, that's good to know. I guess my friends 20'X30' room would not work.

Too small - you need 22' width at least. Also, you should be sitting at least 15' away from the front of the wings. The wings will be at least 12' from the front of the room, which means that you're sitting with your back to the wall. I've seen some pictures of the smaller G1.1 crammed into a room, and I've even listened to one like that, and it's a pitiful sight. Like a wild animal in too small a cage in some zoos.

We set up with the front row of seats 15' away from the speakers, and the wings also 15' in front of the warehouse door (10' from the backdrop). Best seat was 3rd row - 21' away.

Dragon Party.jpg

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Too small - you need 22' width at least. Also, you should be sitting at least 15' away from the front of the wings. The wings will be at least 12' from the front of the room, which means that you're sitting with your back to the wall. I've seen some pictures of the smaller G1.1 crammed into a room, and I've even listened to one like that, and it's a pitiful sight. Like a wild animal in too small a cage in some zoos.

Please allow me to disagree, Gary. Although I am sure a wider room will let it sing even more, I am so arrogant to state that a Genesis 1.1 (although with completely reworked xovers using only silver Duelund caps and materials) can sound so impressive in a room that is (only) 4,5 meters wide that you will be really amazed. Come over and I will demonstrate this to you. I promise you a fully tweaked out Genesis system with about 30 (high quality) tube watts with top notch digital and analog devices.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Please allow me to disagree, Gary. Although I am sure a wider room will let it sing even more, I am so arrogant to state that a Genesis 1.1 (although with completely reworked xovers using only silver Duelund caps and materials) can sound so impressive in a room that is (only) 4,5 meters wide that you will be really amazed. Come over and I will demonstrate this to you. I promise you a fully tweaked out Genesis system with about 30 (high quality) tube watts with top notch digital and analog devices.

Wow! Very interesting indeed - care to share a little more info with detail including actual size of room along with list of components feeding them and a few pics

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Wow! Very interesting indeed - care to share a little more info with detail including actual size of room along with list of components feeding them and a few pics

Hello DEV, I do not want to 'hijack' Gary's thread. You can find a complete description of my system in the threads that I started on the Tripoint emperor and the Tripoint Troy. My room is 4,5 meters wide, 3,5 meters high and 14 meters deep (it is a room en suite, that is two rooms divided by sliding doors). Hope this gives you some idea.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hello DEV, I do not want to 'hijack' Gary's thread. You can find a complete description of my system in the threads that I started on the Tripoint emperor and the Tripoint Troy. My room is 4,5 meters wide, 3,5 meters high and 14 meters deep (it is a room en suite, that is two rooms divided by sliding doors). Hope this gives you some idea.

Having heard the Dragon as well as seeing its enormity that's an experiment I'd like to see as even in Garys huge warehouse they could blow the back end off even at low SPL

DEV

Oct 19, 2011

OK no problem - I recall you use Kondo - can you post a link to where you have pics and description - thx

Hey guys when will the video be posted.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Having heard the Dragon as well as seeing its enormity that's an experiment I'd like to see as even in Garys huge warehouse they could blow the back end off even at low SPL

Well Steve, why not come together with Gary and convince yourself?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
OK no problem - I recall you use Kondo - can you post a link to where you have pics and description - thx

Hey guys when will the video be posted.

Never put pictures on the WBF and I rather not do it. But some members such as Lloyd and Wisnon have visited me and can attest that the system in a 'smallish' room can impress.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Never put pictures on the WBF and I rather not do it. But some members such as Lloyd and Wisnon have visited me and can attest that the system in a 'smallish' room can impress.

For sure...it is a stunning system, with a level of both scale and refinement and effortlessness i have not experienced anywhere else in the world with the possible exception of the mighty Arrakis + dual VTL Siegfried Monos + Clearaudio Statement in Hong Kong. This includes NYC, London, Istanbul, other Hong Kong systems, Boston, SF, Madrid, and a few places in between...

...the set up is truly extreme...

DEV

Oct 19, 2011

Does this pic happen to have any resemblance of the two doors ;)

IMG_5641[1].jpg

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
This is a great thread; but I have to ask... isn't such a speaker worthy of a proper room and not really a warehouse? I can't recall how many times we've said the room is extremely critical...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's a going away party ack. It doubles as a pre-delivery QC inspection. If it is going where I think it's going the room is fully treated and is around 100sqm in size. The room was actually a tad to large for the speakers that precede the incoming Dragons. Ivy's, X2 S2s and the big McIs.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
For sure...it is a stunning system, with a level of both scale and refinement and effortlessness i have not experienced anywhere else in the world with the possible exception of the mighty Arrakis + dual VTL Siegfried Monos + Clearaudio Statement in Hong Kong. This includes NYC, London, Istanbul, other Hong Kong systems, Boston, SF, Madrid, and a few places in between...

...the set up is truly extreme...

Thanks for your kind words, Lloyd. The system has evolved considerably since you visited me ... inserted inter alia the Trinity combo for digital playback, a complete new Taralabs cable loom (including their top of the line ic's and loudspeakercables) and last but not least: the mighty Tripoint emperor with (at the moment) four Thor se's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing