Note the Date! Genesis Dragons Bon Voyage Party in April!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Here are some of the recordings played - in no particular order.

This one is of significance because Marty asked me what would show off the bass ability of the Dragons so I pulled up Saint-Saens 3rd Symphony - the Organ Symphony. The Maestoso opens with a full C major chord on the organ and knocks your socks off. After about a minute of it, I realized that I had a tape copy of exactly the same DSD file which I preferred. It sounded more fleshed-out, more full-bodied, and gave up a bit of clarity and resolution for stupendous dynamics. One of the mysteries of life......

Munch Organ Symphony.jpg

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The fun music usually gets quite an airing at these Dragon parties because it's what many of the members of the local audio society don't get at home - dynamically unlimited "you are there" reproduction of rock.

The original UK-pressed 45rpm super single of Money for Nothing. However, the better side is the B-side with a fantastic "Live" version of Love over Gold. One commented to me after sitting through this track - "Wow. I never thought that I would have had the chance to listen to Dire Straits live."

Money for Nothing.jpg

This was probably the most compressed of any of the albums I played that night, but I love the live version of Dani California in this rare boxset.

Stadium Arcadium.jpg

Another UK pressing - the important thing to find is the Island ZTT logo on the bottom right corner of the sleeve. This is the version to get with the uncompressed Sex-mix. There are other UK pressings of different mixes, and even New York mixes, Ibiza mixes, etc. that just aren't as good.

Relax.jpg

Another album with thousands of copies out there, but rare to find a good one. In this case, it is the original transparent purple vinyl that is the real thing. I played Smoke on the Water 'live'. This is the "Made in Japan" track, but I have never been able to find a pressing of Made in Japan that even comes close to the version on this particular disc. The band I was in when I was in high school played Smoke on the Water as one of our repertoire, so this song holds particular meaning for me.

Purple Singles.jpg

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Thank you VERY much!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing