NHB-18NS preamp with Burmester 911 amps?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Does anyone have experience with this combo? Thanks!

Output impedance for the NHB-18NS: 50 ohms for BNC, < 100 ohms for RCA, 600 ohms for XLR

Burmester 911mk3 input impedance: 22.9kOhms Unbalanced, 1.88kOhms Balanced

Last edited:

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
The 911 input impedance remains a mystery.

Burmester manual: 1.88 kOhm (balanced), 22.9 kOhm (unbalanced)
i-fidelity.net measurement: 12 kOhm (connection type not specified)
My personal measurement: 2.05 kOhm (balanced), 1.01 kOhm (unbalanced)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
The 911 input impedance remains a mystery.

Burmester manual: 1.88 kOhm (balanced), 22.9 kOhm (unbalanced)
i-fidelity.net measurement: 12 kOhm (connection type not specified)
My personal measurement: 2.05 kOhm (balanced), 1.01 kOhm (unbalanced)

This is one personal pet peeve of mine and Burmester, their lack of published credible information. Just look at the internal fuse misinformation.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
The Swedish magazine Hifi&Musik measure the balanced input impedance to 1,5k.

And the output power to: 8/4/2/1ohm 195/344/545/723watts.

18NS connected to 911 using the unbalanced input should be no problem, also no problem if the 911 unbalanced input impedance is 12k.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Well, a few others on this forum run ARC and concert fidelity preamps into the 911 balanced without issues, so the 1:10 impedance rule may not be the determining factor after all.

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Dear Joe,

I thought that from very long time!:)

Sorry for the frankness of opinion!

That you are confused or I am confused :p I'm kidding, Don't be sorry, I appreciate your frankness dearly.

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
That you are confused or I am confused :p I'm kidding, Don't be sorry, I appreciate your frankness dearly.

You're confused ;) ;)...

What you need in your systems is a top digital source because you've already in your hands reference amps (burmester and dartzeel).

Of course this is my opinion.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You're confused ;) ;)...

What you need in your systems is a top digital source because you've already in your hands reference amps (burmester and dartzeel).

Of course this is my opinion.

Rocco: have you heard the Audio Logic DAC? Jerry Ozment, now deceased, was a damn good digital designer and flew under the radar to most people.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Rocco: have you heard the Audio Logic DAC? Jerry Ozment, now deceased, was a damn good digital designer and flew under the radar to most people.

Myles,

Not very many people know how good my Audio Logic dac sounds. I've had that dac 9 years and it was upgraded by Jerry once to the 24MXL. Can anyone name a piece of year they have been using that long, especially digital?

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Myles,

Not very many people know how good my Audio Logic dac sounds. I've had that dac 9 years and it was upgraded by Jerry once to the 24MXL. Can anyone name a piece of year they have been using that long, especially digital?

Joe,
I had mine (Audio Space) for about 10 years if I remember correctly. I had it modified extensively by changing all the capacitors to blackgates and by replacing all the wiring to a much higher grade one. The connectors were also all upgraded. To this day, it still serves me well.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Thf99,

Excellent. Sometimes us "audiophiles" do hold onto great gear, despite out best efforts. :)

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I had a highly modded Conrad Johnson Premier 9 dac designed by Jerry. To this day I am sorry I sold it. May he R.I.P.

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy

Sorry no experience with that dac.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing