Newport Show

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
The Arrakis needs to be bi-amplified, but the Altair can only be driven by one amplifier as far as I know. One other major differance between the two speakers would be that the Altair would need a high Power amplifier to drive its entire array of drivers but the Arrakis could possible be driven with a high power amplifeir for the bass and a low power sweeter sounding amp for the top. So you would probably have more amplifier options with the Arrakis?

My thoughts would be the Tube Research Labs Platinum Golden Triode 800 for the Arrakis bass and the LAMM ML3 or the new Zanden Chouku (both low powered SET triodes) for the top end of the Arrakis. The LAMM and the Zanden amps would probably be out of the question for the Altair?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Arrakis needs to be bi-amplified, but the Altair can only be driven by one amplifier as far as I know. One other major differance between the two speakers would be that the Altair would need a high Power amplifier to drive its entire array of drivers but the Arrakis could possible be driven with a high power amplifeir for the bass and a low power sweeter sounding amp for the top. So you would probably have more amplifier options with the Arrakis?

My thoughts would be the Tube Research Labs Platinum Golden Triode 800 for the Arrakis bass and the LAMM ML3 or the new Zanden Chouku (both low powered SET triodes) for the top end of the Arrakis. The LAMM and the Zanden amps would probably be out of the question for the Altair?

I am following this thread carefully. I have been told the Magico Q7 and SF Aida both sound spectacular with Zanden monos. So, you might be able to drive the Altairs with Zanden 9600 monos. The simple specs are similar for al 3 speakers (i think)...4 ohms and low to mid 90s efficiency. But that is where the similarities may end. Still, you might make it work with Zanden monos. For me, I would keep my gryphon particularly as Andy Payor uses Gryphon electronics a lot throughout their in-house systems.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I am following this thread carefully. I have been told the Magico Q7 and SF Aida both sound spectacular with Zanden monos. So, you might be able to drive the Altairs with Zanden 9600 monos. The simple specs are similar for al 3 speakers (i think)...4 ohms and low to mid 90s efficiency. But that is where the similarities may end. Still, you might make it work with Zanden monos. For me, I would keep my gryphon particularly as Andy Payor uses Gryphon electronics a lot throughout their in-house systems.

Eric Pheils just wrote to me that he doesn't recomend the Zanden Chouku for the Q7.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing