New York Audio Show 2013 looks like a bust!

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Good Friday morning Listens2tubes,

You would think audio show presenters would have gone all out to show their wares to include reel to reel stuff. I've heard from some presenters that there is difficulty shipping Ampex, Studer and other high end tape decks to show sites and expecting them to arrive in one piece. This may be why some are hesitant to deal with console tape recorders. On the other hand I am sure there are some portable tape decks that can do an outstanding job of playing tapes. So, no excuse is the way I see it.

jazzbo

Last edited:

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Not a bust!
I will be there spinning tapes on my UHA deck.
Yes the NYC Show is expensive and there are some strange expenses with this show, (call me crazy) but if people don't hear it why would they be interested in getting into tape?
I have established a great shipping system for traveling to the shows I am doing all over the USA and Canada, (just returned from the Montreal Show). I ship in a Pelican Crate with a custom 3/4" plywood brace that bolts into the rack mount ears that will protect the deck, even against a Teamster with a Kielbasa sandwitch in one hand draggin my deck in the other.

I will be in the ADAMS Room with MBL, I'll have a Phase11 deck and lots of tapes.
MBL is planning something new and agressive, believe it or not a 7.1 surround sound set up with a new Sony 4K projector and a 96" screen for concert videos and whatnot.
The plan is that every hour we do a program that will feature surround sound presentations and then a 2 channel Master Tape copy playback session.

NYC show:
1.) Last year at the NYC show the MBL room was very popular with a long line outside the room most of the show, I assume it will be well attended this year too.
2.) This year the room will consist of the MBL 111F speakers and the new entry level MBL Corona gear and also the surround sound + video gear.
3.) This different kind of show for MBL (surround sound & video, not 2 channel) may attract some new faces to the room, (?).
4.) New people listening to tape is a good thing! It could bring a new type of client to tape, (?). Or at least a new level of awareness to the sound that tape can offer.

Just trying to think outside the box and do whatever I can to promote R2R tape as a viable source component, (and of course get more music on tape).
If you go to the show please stop by and say hi!

Last edited:

Listens2tubes

Dec 9, 2010
New Jersey
www.Listens2tubes.com
My hat is off to you Greg. I will be frequenting your room for sure. Bruce do you mean you will be playing tapes too? And speaking of portable machines I think a Stellavox would be King. If you get my drift.

Feeling optimistic.

Neal

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Good Saturday morning Bruce,
Actually, I was commenting on "Listens2Tubes statement. Please forgive me if I gave the wrong impression. I wish I were still living in Baltimore, Maryland. I would have made arrangements to make that show. Not much happening here in Georgia unfortunately especially where the tape medium is concerned. Thank you Bruce for the correction.

jazz

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing