New Western Electric WE91E 300B Integrated with over 20 Watts Per Channel !!...

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I listened in Munich in 2019.
Looks was very nice and also sound i liked.I dont remember which speaker and with source,but was a good sound,but is difficult to give a judgement in this condition

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I would LOVE to hear this 300B amp with the all new Diptyque Audio Reference Loudspeakers !
You can listen to these new Diptyque Audio speakers at Munich Show 2022 !

Here's a new Western Electric WE91E 300B REVIEW....:eek:
This WE91E 300B is Much Better than I thought it would be !...WOW

Last edited:

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
I've not had the opportunity to hear this amp, but in my opinion it is a beautiful piece of kit.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I heard it in Munich this May, I can not say that I’m impressed. The Stereophile review revealed that it’s output power is not 20 watts at 8 ohms.

“With our usual definition of clipping—when the THD+noise reaches 1%—and with both channels driven, I measured a clipping power of just 1.8Wpc into 8 ohms (2.55dBW, fig.4). At 3% THD+N, I measured 9.23Wpc (9.65dBW), and at 10%, 12.8Wpc (11dBW). Slightly more power was available into 4 ohms (fig.5): 4.8Wpc (3.8dBW) at 1% THD+N; 10Wpc (7dBW) at 3% THD+N; and 14Wpc (8.45dBW) at 10% THD+N.”

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
I heard it in Munich this May, I can not say that I’m impressed. The Stereophile review revealed that it’s output power is not 20 watts at 8 ohms.

“With our usual definition of clipping—when the THD+noise reaches 1%—and with both channels driven, I measured a clipping power of just 1.8Wpc into 8 ohms (2.55dBW, fig.4). At 3% THD+N, I measured 9.23Wpc (9.65dBW), and at 10%, 12.8Wpc (11dBW). Slightly more power was available into 4 ohms (fig.5): 4.8Wpc (3.8dBW) at 1% THD+N; 10Wpc (7dBW) at 3% THD+N; and 14Wpc (8.45dBW) at 10% THD+N.”
And yet Stereophile reviewer Ken Micallef wrote this after listing the numerous recordings he had listened to.

“The 91E reached more of its potential with “the Fleetwood DeVille loudspeakers. The SET treble truly shone in its clarity and detail. The amplifier's coherence and neutral demeanor were more evident, too. Despite the O/96s' higher specified frequency response, the 91E drove more detail through the DeVille's compression-driver tweeter than through the O/96's 1" silk-dome tweeter. But both speakers sounded fantastic with the 91E: clean, clear, and palpable.”
“Sounded fantastic “ He said.

I believe him. Compatible speakers with a good quality audio system. These zero NFB SET amplifiers generally measure poorly and yet many listeners contrarily report they sound marvelous.
Charles

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
And yet Stereophile reviewer Ken Micallef wrote this after listing the numerous recordings he had listened to.

“The 91E reached more of its potential with “the Fleetwood DeVille loudspeakers. The SET treble truly shone in its clarity and detail. The amplifier's coherence and neutral demeanor were more evident, too. Despite the O/96s' higher specified frequency response, the 91E drove more detail through the DeVille's compression-driver tweeter than through the O/96's 1" silk-dome tweeter. But both speakers sounded fantastic with the 91E: clean, clear, and palpable.”
“Sounded fantastic “ He said.

I believe him. Compatible speakers with a good quality audio system. These zero NFB SET amplifiers generally measure poorly and yet many listeners contrarily report they sound marvelous.
Charles
I read that review when it’s first came out but I didn’t buy. It’s another all positive review. It’s nice to read though.

I do agree with you on SET amplifiers. They sound marvelous if they’re properly made regardless of how they measure on the test bench. I have suspicions whether this one is properly made or not. It has a Bluetooth input for example. Even if it does not directly impart performance or does not effect other inputs’ signal integrity, how seriously do you consider it as a pure, properly made SET amplifier and with a $15000 price tag?

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@mtemur
“. It has a Bluetooth input for example. Even if it does not directly impart performance or does not effect other inputs’ signal integrity, how seriously do you consider it as a pure, properly made SET amplifier and with a $15000 price tag?”

I see your point, I’m more drawn to the minimalist/purist approach to audio components. I just assume that they have targeted a certain market sector perhaps.

I was cautioned about SET amplifier measurements when I decided to give them a try. 13 years later I’m happy as can be with 300b SET. Absolutely no regrets. Most natural engaging sound I’ve heard.
Charles

Reactions: mtemur

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
These $100K Western Electric Loudspeakers Really Sound Amazing ! :):eek: Music starts at 4:26
They should be on the market soon

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
All new $80K Western Electric Loudspeakers one of the Best-Of-Show winners at Munich 2023 Show !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing