New Weiss DAC 501 / 502

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
DAC 501/502 Review

me and my friends have compared Weiss Engineering to many dacs (dCS, Accuphase, Gryphon, Aqua, CEC , ...)
in a transparent system no dac even come close to Weiss in it's price range .
wiess is the best if you want rightness, clarity, transparency , purity, neutral Tone

I think weiss is perfect in it's price range

Daniel Weiss is a professional designer and he is between 5 top professional digital designers in the world.

if you think dCS or MSB made expensive DAC then check the 200kg Weiss Maya.

View attachment 98078

What the heck is that? Seems Weiss builds a lot very specific for Asia market ;-) never seen it here in Europe? Please, Amir tell us more :cool: Thanks a lot!

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Thank you

Excuse me for off topic : the problem is magazines are not friends of audiophiles and in my idea magazines just think about their benefits.

for example i have listened to Skogrand rahmaninov speaker cable (3000$) and this cable easily outperform more expensive speaker cables even at $15000.
If you read magazine you never seen this.
Another example is CEC TL0 3.0 transport , this transport is far better than all expensive transports in this market and only wadax ($150000) may come close (i am not sure) but if you read magazines you never realize the truth about how great is CEC.

I believe Weiss DAC in it's price range (like CEC TL0 and Skogrand cables) is far better than other brands but you see dCS , MSB , Aqua and ... are more promoted by magazines.

The only trusted way is listening and comparing dacs in a transparent system. In non-optimised non-transparent systems you may prefer a wrong dac to weiss

Last edited:

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I have been using a Weiss 501 for almost two years now. It sits in my secondary system as a Roon Endpoint. Whereas it is hard to beat at its price point, I recently made a direct comparison in my main system against two more expensive DACs: the Thrax Maximinus MK2S and a full Merging Technologies NADAC Stack (NADAC Player, Power and Clock). I still have my TAD D600 player as a good reference point.

Both the Thrax and the NADAC were better than the Weiss 501. We are talking about DACs are that several times more expensive than the Weiss 501 BTW.

I also compared the different connections. I tested the USB and AES EBU connections with an Aurender N20 server. I used an Esprit Aura USB cable and a Wireworld Platinum AES EBU cable. The differences were not that huge with a preference for the AES/EBU connection when playing high resolution PCM files. I also tested the ethernet connection with the Weiss as a Roon Endpoint and the NADAC Player as the Roon Core. The latter was way better than with the Aurender N20 server.

I am not considering upgrading the 501 to the new 4 channels specs until some more feedback from users and some assurance that the parts are readily available for the upgrade.

Reactions: Amir

saidentary

Aug 8, 2022
How does one audition a Thrax Maximinus MK2S or NADAC stack? So far most of the high end brands I’ve checked have required you either buy unit Or pay a restocking fee of up to 20%—IF they’re willing to let you trial their unit at all.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
I have been using a Weiss 501 for almost two years now. It sits in my secondary system as a Roon Endpoint. Whereas it is hard to beat at its price point, I recently made a direct comparison in my main system against two more expensive DACs: the Thrax Maximinus MK2S and a full Merging Technologies NADAC Stack (NADAC Player, Power and Clock). I still have my TAD D600 player as a good reference point.

Both the Thrax and the NADAC were better than the Weiss 501. We are talking about DACs are that several times more expensive than the Weiss 501 BTW.

I also compared the different connections. I tested the USB and AES EBU connections with an Aurender N20 server. I used an Esprit Aura USB cable and a Wireworld Platinum AES EBU cable. The differences were not that huge with a preference for the AES/EBU connection when playing high resolution PCM files. I also tested the ethernet connection with the Weiss as a Roon Endpoint and the NADAC Player as the Roon Core. The latter was way better than with the Aurender N20 server.

I am not considering upgrading the 501 to the new 4 channels specs until some more feedback from users and some assurance that the parts are readily available for the upgrade.
Wondering if you can provide any insight on TAD D600 vs other DACs mentioned? Thanks

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Wondering if you can provide any insight on TAD D600 vs other DACs mentioned? Thanks

You can find some more info on this thread https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/my-little-barn.26426/page-4#post-820779

I have about 2000 CDs and several hundreds of SACDs. Though I am currently ripping all my CDs, this will take me ages hence the TAD is still the perfect source for listening to my CDs and SACDs. I am not ripping the SACDs and the TAD is a great SACD player.

As a stand alone DAC, the TAD D600 has its limitations as it only has AES/EBU and SPDIF digital inputs so no USB and Ethernet inputs.

The TAD D600 is still one of the best integrated players but I am mainly buying and streaming high resolution files which are often better than red book PCM files.

Reactions: kimurastanley

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
I have listened to three dCS elgar , scarlatti and Vivldi and I think TAD D600 is better.
you may have alittle more solid/forward/accurate presentation by dCS Vivaldi but TAD D600 is more Natural , more dynamic and better music presentation in your TAD System. TAD D600 is as transparent as dCS vivldi but in a natural way.

only Wadax Transport/DAC (over $200k) could beat TAD D600.

both DACs (TAD D600 and Wadax) have huge power Supply , Wadax use 1000VA and TAD use 600VA.
I am not audio designer and i do not know big psu is better or not but what i feel is PSU is very important to digital design.

Last edited:
Reactions: gerihifi

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
I have listened to three dCS elgar , scarlatti and Vivldi and I think TAD D600 is better.
you may have alittle more solid/forward/accurate presentation by dCS Vivaldi but TAD D600 is more Natural , more dynamic and better music presentation in your TAD System.

only Wadax Transport/DAC (over $200k) could beat TAD D600.

both DACs (TAD D600 and Wadax) have huge power Supply , Wadax use 1000VA and TAD use 600VA.
I am not audio designer and i do not know big psu is better or not but what i feel is PSU is very important to digital design.
I am waiting for the replacement model and hopefully TAD will equip with a USB input

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
DAC501-4ch UPGRADE - finally received and first hours burned in…

Upgrade costs
: CHF 1.820 + your country-import-tax (Germany: + €400) - valid for Oct 2022
Upgrade duration: 1-2 days
Modifications: replacing pcb with new DAC Chip ESS9038 PRO

Nothing obvious if you open it, because output/dsp section is covered and I don’t wanna scratch something, but serial number of the WPCB board changed ;)
20221010_100308_neu.jpg

Difference you see on the web interface:

web-interface2.png

First impressions: (8h active)

Output level I use with Rotel Michi X5: 0 dB
Output: Cardas XLR AES/EBU
Input/Source: Lumin Mini U2 + Ferrum Hypsos, Cardas SPDIF, Qobuz
Reference song (before/after upgrade):
  • Fink, Trouble’s what you’re in Live (Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet)
  • JFDR, Gravity + My Work (New Dreams)
  • Ane Brun, Words (It all starts with one)
:eek: WOW - I didn’t expect too much audible difference in the beginning! :eek:
It is so damn, neutral & clarity!
Fink’s guitar clapping: like you sit next to him
JFDR voice: filling up room, wide soundstage, guitar strings even closer as before
Ane: like sitting in a live concert, separation left/right/center ...crystal clear

Overall impression: no doubts it will even improve over next weeks!
Also see how filter (de-esser & vinyl) have improved as well…

Worthwhile upgrading - comparing price and what you get?
  • For me it was more to have the latest Sigma-Delta for the next 5+ years
  • Getting that much out of it?
    • Not sure, it’s an individual decision & of course how much impact it has in your chain
20221010_124009.jpg

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
I have on hand a DAC502 Mk2 burning in since the last week of September. I don't have a Mk1 for a direct comparison although I have listened using various genres; classical, soundtracks, choral, electronica, vocals, pop and my usual demo playlist.

General impression:

- it's the same Weiss sound but improved all round. It's a bigger sound, slightly smoother, with better harmonic detail and microdynamics.
- clarity and separation between music lines are now easier to follow. It was good before and better now. One can chose to focus on the sound as a whole or pick out different music lines / singers.
- there is more denseness to notes. By this, it's not that the sound is warmer, but that the outlines of notes / images in the soundstage which used to sound ethereal previously have now more body / solidity. A more 3D effect, perhaps, to individual images within the soundscape.
- the soundstage, which used to be a bit small, is now bigger, with more depth and a better rendering of height.
- improvements in bass extension and articulation are obvious. The bass is not more prominent or louder per se but just goes deeper, without sounding bloated or loosing control.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amir and gerihifi

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
I have on hand a DAC502 Mk2 burning in since the last week of September. I don't have a Mk1 for a direct comparison although I have listened using various genres, classical, soundtracks, choral, electronica, vocals and pop and my usual demo playlist.

General impression:

- it's the same Weiss sound but improved all round. It's a bigger sound, slightly smoother, with better harmonic detail and microdynamics.
- clarity and separation between music lines are now easier to follow. It was good before and better now. One can chose to focus on the sound as a whole or pick out different music lines / singers.
- there is more denseness to notes. By this, it's not that the sound is warmer, but that the outline of notes / images in the soundstage which used to sound ethereal previously has now more body / solidity. A more 3D effect, perhaps, to individual images within the soundscape.
- the soundstage, which used to be a bit small, is now bigger, with more depth and better rendering of height.
- improvements in bass extension and articulation are immediately obvious. The bass is not more prominent or louder per se but just goes deeper, without sounding bloated or loosing control.
Great observations, thanks for sharing!
Output gain to 0db made in my case (Rotel Michi X5 AES/EBU) a big difference, default setting was -30db

Did you hear audible difference after 50h+?

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
I would say give it at least 100+ hours. Some of the above observations are obvious from the start, esp, bass extension and articulation. The rest develop over time.

I am hoping that the body / denseness to notes will develop into a slightly more warm sound with harmonic complexity.

For the Mk 1, the analog output level was set at 0 db. I only used -30 dB when experimenting with going direct, without a preamp.

With the Mk 2, I have not experimented with the analog output level settings.

Reactions: gerihifi

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
Latest, very positive, review from High Fidelity Poland, with the "Gold Fingeprint" - top award - for the Mk2 version.

There appears to be additional damping / tweaks applied to the internal components.

Last edited:

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
After 1 month now, I can say: upgrade absolutely worthwhile and this DAC will stay and never exchanged!

Last edited:

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Weiss DAC is The best money can buy

I told before no DAC even at double price of Weiss could give better sound

Reactions: ddk

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
Latest, very positive, review from High Fidelity Poland, with the "Gold Fingeprint" - top award - for the Mk2 version.

There appears to be additional damping / tweaks applied to the internal components.
Really good article and nice deep-dive about the components inside!

501mk2 a piece of equipment already disappeared in my listening room...no more 10€k SigmaDelta DAC chasing for me!

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
....no more 10€k SigmaDelta DAC chasing for me!
A special version of the 501Mk2 would be nice, without the DSP stuff and at least 3k less :cool:

Matt

Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Agree,
in this context I am just wondering why the Weiss have such small power supplies.

Matt

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
They were at the show. I kept seeing their poster, but I could not find the room.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Agree,
in this context I am just wondering why the Weiss have such small power supplies.

Matt
Check Weiss Maya DAC
It is 200kg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing