New tape pre-amp king!!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce,

congrats!

i heard it at RMAF. is it any different than that one?

thanks,

The one at RMAF was darn good if it was the one I heard in Nick's room.

This is actually an updated version with better specs. Hence the Mk II designation.... Myles told me Nick is proud of the measurements!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
What type of EQ in there, passive or active ? and how about the output coupling, cap or transformer?
tony ma

Sorry Tony.... that one went over my head.. The EQ is switchable NAB/IEC. Each EQ has it's own 12AT7 tube for ea. channel

Don't know about caps, transformers or coupling... I know it's fully differential if that means anything.

Ki and Myles could probably tell you more about it than I can. All I care about is what it sounds like.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
From the manual:

Design :
The Doshi Tape preamplifier has incorporated design techniques and uses a combination
of solid state and tube circuits where they provide best results. The Pre-preamplifier is the
first stage of the unit and incorporates an ultra low noise preamplifier chip. This device
features near theoretical levels of noise and provides approximately 30db of gain before
the EQ sections to follow.
The eq sections use one 12AT7 tube for NAB and one for IEC eq per channel, Each dual
triode providing a gain section and a low impedance follower section to drive the passive
eq section from a extremely low impedance. The result of this topology is a powerful and
dynamic sounding eq section. The 3rd 12AT7 for each channel forms the top half of a
hybrid tube that provides gain post eq and phase splitting to drive the 12BH7/ECC99
which is used as a line driver. The result is a balanced output with extremely low output
impedance and good balance. The loading limitation for this stage is dictated by the size
of the output coupling capacitors and care should be taken to limit loading to 10k ohms or
greater, otherwise the low frequency cutoff will start to rise above 5hz and have the
potential to cause phase issues in the audible range (muddy bass, etc).

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Thanks Bruce, I got it, it is a passive EQ and a cap output but it is not a all tube with a IC input stage, noise should be low with IC input but it will has a feed back in there so it is not a 0 feed back
tony ma

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
This is what he told me:

In order to do this I have had to utilize a new preamplifier from Analog Devices that has differential inputs and close to the theoretical limits of voltage noise. This preamplifier section feeds dual eq circuits (NAB and IEC) using one 12AT7 each. These sections have follower outputs to drive the Eq with very low output impedance thus preserving dynamics and high end response. The output of the eq section feeds a long tail pair input/follower output combination created with one 12AT7 and 12BH7 per channel. This creates a balanced output with very low output impedance (approx 130 ohms) so you can drive a mixing desk with as low as a 5k input impedance.

I have been testing this circuit for the last week and am extremely pleased with the results. It can be improved with respect to balance in the long tail pair section by using a -30v supply and increasing the tail resistor value. I have ordered the parts from digikey and will have them tomorrow.

The sound of the unit is not solidstate or tube, it is extremely linear and dynamic with a touch of liquidity in the midband. There is no feedback from input to output and it has approx 58db of gain.

jdza

May 3, 2010
No they don't.... I use my Fluke meter for calibration.

Congratualations. That looks very special!

To avoid the inaccuracy at higher frequencies with digital multimeters I use two seperate audio sections of an A80 VU connected to a simple power supply. I had them calibrated .It is easy to connect to the tape machines output,relatively compact and accurate and not in circuit when not in use. Simply switch them to "Record". They are cheap on Ebay and elsewhere.

studer-vu-001.jpg

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
The sound of the unit is not solidstate or tube, it is extremely linear and dynamic with a touch of liquidity in the midband. There is no feedback from input to output and it has approx 58db of gain.[/I][/QUOTE]

It should say no feed back from output back to input because in the input IC is using feed back to control the gain so it is not ( no feed back from input to output)
tony ma

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area

Nice find.

Even if it's not the one Nick's had implemented in his new preamp, it's got to be the new generation super preamp chip!

A quick glance at the datasheet, this little thing can have max gain of 70dB on its own with single external resistor.

Few months ago, I visited a local forum member (you know who you are...) and saw his single chip DIY phono preamp... I think the secrete is out. ;)

The only concern (as a closet case EE who had not practiced his engineering in 20+ years...) on possible improper implementation of the chip is its wide bandwidth capabilities up to 1Mhz... If the circuit went into oscillation for some unknown reason, it could do some serious damages to one's tweeters driving the amps wild...

Ki

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
[/QUOTE]
It should say no feed back from output back to input because in the input IC is using feed back to control the gain so it is not ( no feed back from input to output)
tony ma[/QUOTE]

Few years back, Rich Brown and Kara Chaffee visited me with her then prototype tape head tube preamp. Trying the preamp out on Studer head with ~200mH inductance which is lower than classic Ampex heads but higher than A80VU head (~10mH), my take was the preamp just didn't have enough gain for an average audiophile system. She went back and tried many different options to add front end gain without incurring huge cost, ended up using an opamp to achieve her goal.

The reality is that other than spending tons of money as Tony had done with his custom silver winding transformers ;), modern opamps do make sense, IMHO. Although it isn't SOTA part compared to what's available today, Studer had implemented tape head preamp in a very small circuit board mounted right next to the repro head as a part of the headstack in A820, A812, and A810 (maybe others) using single NE5532 opamp before sending more manageable signals to EQ stage in the Repro Amp cards in the audio rack.

Ki

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
We can actually experiment for ourselves instead of guessing on my part but based on my experience, it is better to use an outboard analog AC millivoltmeter like this one:

http://www.tequipment.net/LeaderLMV-181A.asp in 2 channel version.

Although I have not tried the Fluke 115 multimeter, some of the issues of using digital meters for VU meter calibration or as a substitute are with frequency response in AC millivolt mode. It is very accurate up to about 1Khz but when you kick it up to ~16Khz and beyond, it could be way off or not respond at all in some models from overseas. Most of the analog AC millivoltmeters respond up to 1 Mhz with +/-1 to 3% accuracy.

Ki

Ki,

Don't you need a meter that reads true RMS?
Thanks.

- Sam

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Ki
Even a copper wound step up transformer still much better than a IC, never fail in compare at MC cart RIAA phono stage, same thing happen in tape head circuit too, different in transparency and emotion
tony ma

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Ki
Even a copper wound step up transformer still much better than a IC, never fail in compare at MC cart RIAA phono stage, same thing happen in tape head circuit too, different in transparency and emotion
tony ma

Agree, Tony. However, I believe it's a matter of high cost decision for manufacturers and preferred choice for hobby people like us to use the step up transformers. Most of the old Ampex tape head preamps had step up transformers at the front end. Ki

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Yes, Sam.

The model I listed and its 2CH version are both RMS millivolt meters.

Ki

Thanks, Ki.

Just picked-up a well-optioned HP 35665A DSA for fun.
Thought you might appreciate it ;)

Oh! Also, met Harry -- very gregarious...thanks for putting us in touch! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing