New speaker choice

beach2mountain

Jul 5, 2021
Travis welcome to the forum, looking at your list no doubt i would choose the Audionet Humboldt witth the Haley 2.2 i have heard this combo it doesn't get any better than this.
This is the integrated i wanted to purchase in the first place with a pair of Borresen 03s but budget wise it was too much for me this time around therefore i settled with a Diablo 300 + Thiel CS 3.7s combo and i'm still very happy with this rig.
Best of luck.
Thank you for the kind welcome and feedback...I've been in touch with Bill at GTT Audio and am hoping to get out there to hear the Humboldt paired with the Haileys. Best, Travis

beach2mountain

Jul 5, 2021
Did you consider keeping the McIntosh gear and spending the money on Sonja 2.2s or 2.3s. The Haileys are great speakers but the Sonja are on another level. Did you get to compare/audition the Sonjas?

What kind of music are you prioritizing?
Thanks Chuck...I didn't listen to the Sonja 2is but did listen to the Sonja XVis...insane set up, but they were way outside my price range and space constraints. In the discussions I had with YG and the reviews I had read, it seemed like the Hailey's were in the sweet spot of the YG line (and felt the extra $ could be better applied to improving my source components).

We listen to most genres of music except for classical...Americana, reggae, alternative, folk, classic rock, funk, etc..

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Hi guys, i'm starting all over again from scratch, my Thiel CS 3.7s are up for sale and i already have a potential buyer, therefore am searching for my futur end game speaker.
If i stay cone speakers my favorite choice today is Borresen Acoustics but i have 2 other alternatives : the Bayz Audio omnidirectional and the Alsyvox planar.
I will choose the electronics later on depending on speaker type.
Any experience ?
Look at Bache Audio 002AB:
-full range (22hz to 40 khz) with built in Class D amp powered subwoofer
-96db efficient
-wideband driver covering 500hz-8000hz so no crossover in the midrange
-legendary Japan made Fostex FT96-EX2 supertweeter

see: https://bacheaudio.com/portfolios/bache-audio-002ab/

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Thanks Chuck...I didn't listen to the Sonja 2is but did listen to the Sonja XVis...insane set up, but they were way outside my price range and space constraints. In the discussions I had with YG and the reviews I had read, it seemed like the Hailey's were in the sweet spot of the YG line (and felt the extra $ could be better applied to improving my source components).

We listen to most genres of music except for classical...Americana, reggae, alternative, folk, classic rock, funk, etc..
Based on my experience owning XVs for over three years, I would spend the money on Sonja 2is. The big Mac will have drive them easily. The top module of the XVi is the same as the 2is. The Sonja 2is are closer to the XVis than to the Haileys. IMO it is an easy decision. If you are going to upgrade amps, I suggest adding Boulder to your list.

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
Howdy...I'm a newbie lurker on WBF and wanted to jump right in on my 1st post...

After a visit to Arvada and a half-day spent in the YG listening room, I just ordered a pair of Hailey 2.2s with the upgraded Nordost wiring. Now I'm looking to upgrade our components. I'm considering the following amps/pre-amps/integrateds...

Audionet Humbolt
Ayre KX-R / MX-R Monos
Luxman C900u / M900u
Gryphon Diablo 300

Does anyone have experience with any of the above with the Hailey 2.2s? If so...thoughts?

Many thanks!

Travis

PS - My current set up includes B&W 802D3s, a REL #25 sub, McIntosh C2700/MC462, VPI Prime Signature, Aurender ACS 100, and Denali 6000s.
Yuu ve liked the sound of YG Haileys better than your BW 802D3? In what way may I ask? Have your listened to the flagship 800D3 with amplification& source chain that did not include any Mcinotsh gear? Just curious... Thanks

Last edited:

beach2mountain

Jul 5, 2021
Yuu ve liked the sound of YG Haileys better than your BW 802D3? In what way may I ask? Have your listened to the flagship 800D3 with amplification& source chain that did not include any Mcinotsh gear? Just curious... Thanks
For me, the 802s have a very thin and beam-y sound in our rather large room. It wasn't until we added the No 25 that we got a fuller sound and felt the room was "loaded" properly. Even with the fuller sound, the 802s do not have good off axis sound and are fatiguing to me...I jump song to song instead of listening to albums. They are incredibly detailed, but it feels like that's at the expense of being musical.

I did not do a side by side with the same sources, but felt like the Hailey sound was much fuller with better voicing to the speaker (beautiful mids, detailed but natural highs, and all very coherent and musical). In the end, I felt like the YGs could be a speaker to grow with my system instead of being a limiting factor (as I felt w both the B&Ws and McIntosh gear).

Reactions: Barry2013

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
ha I am obviously biased, but I agree, the Hailey's seem to have limitless headroom/speaker to build system around. The better the source, the better the components and cables, the better they continue to sound. Clarifying by 'better' not more expensive but those that are synergistic with YG and within those lines. Of course I imagine the Sonja 2.2is and up would offer similar if not greater headroom. Congrats beach2mountain. Keep us posted as you try different pairings.

Reactions: beach2mountain

Ozan K

Dec 16, 2020
ha I am obviously biased, but I agree, the Hailey's seem to have limitless headroom/speaker to build system around. The better the source, the better the components and cables, the better they continue to sound. Clarifying by 'better' not more expensive but those that are synergistic with YG and within those lines. Of course I imagine the Sonja 2.2is and up would offer similar if not greater headroom. Congrats beach2mountain. Keep us posted as you try different pairings.
I agree, they change character with any change in upstream components, to a degree that it is really astonishing

Reactions: ctydwn

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
For me, the 802s have a very thin and beam-y sound in our rather large room. It wasn't until we added the No 25 that we got a fuller sound and felt the room was "loaded" properly. Even with the fuller sound, the 802s do not have good off axis sound and are fatiguing to me...I jump song to song instead of listening to albums. They are incredibly detailed, but it feels like that's at the expense of being musical.

I did not do a side by side with the same sources, but felt like the Hailey sound was much fuller with better voicing to the speaker (beautiful mids, detailed but natural highs, and all very coherent and musical). In the end, I felt like the YGs could be a speaker to grow with my system instead of being a limiting factor (as I felt w both the B&Ws and McIntosh gear).
B&W tend to be shown with Mac amps,or Classe amps, which in my opinion do not reveal their true, tremendous potential.... Properly set up with some softer to neutral cables (cardas golden cross or Clear Beyond or similar ) the 802D3 and 800D3 that I ve heard, sounded simply amazing, Having said that , you are not the first who describes the D3 series thusly, and that is so unfair for them to get such reputation, mostly I think the associated gear and the set up is at fault. When me and my "golden eared" audiophile friend went to the Best Buy in Paramus, NJ to listen to 800D3 when they came out in the USA, the set up was so so , much to be desired .... At a different Best Buy location on Long Island , NY, the initial set up by B&W rep of your 802D3 sounded just jaw droppingly good, strangely enough with Mac amps, but none of those exhibited the piercing sound that you ve described. Few month later the Best Buy's Magnolia personell moved those 802D3 around within the same room, and they sounded quite mediocre and bland. I have not heard the new Hayles per se, but I ve listened to the various models YG in general over the years, and with the Nordost cables used the results could lead to even worse piercing sound, act 2, as Nordost cables tend to suck the soul out of music IMHO.... You know what you doing, but If I were you and funds are not a factor, i d try to listen to 800D3 with Symphonic LIne monoblock amps, either the Rg-4, or Kraft 300 stereo or Kraft 300 Monos, or Pilium amplifiers if feasible... Again, the combo of Symph LIne and 800D3 is just as good as almost pretty much anything in dynamic speaker world, at sane prices, and I don't use these words lightly.with none of the issues of beaming or dryness that you ve mentioned. The 800D3 also sound amazing with powerfull EL-34 based tube amps, easily on par with any 100 grand speakers from any brand. Also, this may be a moot point but the new D4 series are coming out in September....

There is a member here bonzo75, he also has had great experience with the combo, has written about his experience on his blog ... Should you stick with the Hayles, the Symphonic LIne, or Pilium amps would be a great match with YG as well... The above is just IMO naturally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozan K and bonzo75

Ozan K

Dec 16, 2020
B&W tend to be shown with Mac amps,or Classe amps, which in my opinion do not reveal their true, tremendous potential.... Properly set up with some softer to neutral cables (cardas golden cross or Clear Beyond or similar ) the 802D3 and 800D3 that I ve heard, sounded simply amazing, Having said that , you are not the first who describes the D3 series thusly, and that is so unfair for them to get such reputation, mostly I think the associated gear and the set up is at fault. When me and my "golden eared" audiophile friend went to the Best Buy in Paramus, NJ to listen to 800D3 when they came out in the USA, the set up was so so , much to be desired .... At a different Best Buy location on Long Island , NY, the initial set up by B&W rep of your 802D3 sounded just jaw droppingly good, strangely enough with Mac amps, but none of those exhibited the piercing sound that you ve described. Few month later the Best Buy's Magnolia personell moved those 802D3 around within the same room, and they sounded quite mediocre and bland. I have not heard the new Hayles per se, but I ve listened to the various models YG in general over the years, and with the Nordost cables used the results could lead to even worse piercing sound, act 2, as Nordost cables tend to suck the soul out of music IMHO.... You know what you doing, but If I were you and funds are not a factor, i d try to listen to 800D3 with Symphonic LIne monoblock amps, either the Rg-4, or Kraft 300 stereo or Kraft 300 Monos, or Pilium amplifiers if feasible... Again, the combo of Symph LIne and 800D3 is just as good as almost pretty much anything in dynamic speaker world, at sane prices, and I don't use these words lightly.with none of the issues of beaming or dryness that you ve mentioned. The 800D3 also sound amazing with powerfull EL-34 based tube amps, easily on par with any 100 grand speakers from any brand. Also, this may be a moot point but the new D4 series are coming out in September....

There is a member here bonzo75, he also has had great experience with the combo, has written about his experience on his blog ... Should you stick with the Hayles, the Symphonic LIne, or Pilium amps would be a great match with YG as well... The above is just IMO naturally.
I had similar experience with a set of B&W 802D (older d version, not diamond)

It was a speaker I tried 15 years ago with high expectations at a dealer and was highly disappointed and bought a Wilson Sophia 1 instead.

3 years ago, I moved to a multi floor house and needed a second system for my study. I came across a second hand 802d at a different seller and enjoyed it much with different amplication and bought it.

I used it everyday for the next 18 months with Pass Int 250 and was very happy with them to a degree I thought it was one of the best speakers I ever owned.

When I got the Hailey 2.2, I used them together for some time and there were times that I did not see much difference btw two with a Constellation amplifier then.

It was a great speaker no matter how you slice it

I am sure that the new version is even better.

The summary for me is they sing if careful match is made with right partners.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The D3 series is quite good, it is full bodied with nice midbass weight and integration. Both B&W and YG are good, but different. YG disappear more like elecrostats when set up properly. B&W are weighty. Their own subs are good and well integrated with the floorstanders. If someone heard them thin, it was probably the Mac amp

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
The D3 series is quite good, it is full bodied with nice midbass weight and integration. Both B&W and YG are good, but different. YG disappear more like elecrostats when set up properly. B&W are weighty. Their own subs are good and well integrated with the floorstanders. If someone heard them thin, it was probably the Mac amp
The new B&W D4 series have been presented to selective group of journos via an invite-only YOUTUBE event couple of days ago, I wonder if anyone is willing to spill the beans, or knows any details & willing to share? :)

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
The new B&W D4 series have been presented to selective group of journos via an invite-only YOUTUBE event couple of days ago, I wonder if anyone is willing to spill the beans, or knows any details & willing to share? :)
Per another website, there was a closed YouTube D4 presentation to invited journalists who are not permitted to share any information until September 1st.

Ozan K

Dec 16, 2020
Hi guys,
I am planning to go for a change in one of my speakers just for the sake of trying different brands.

The alternatives that are "available"

- Graham 5/8
- Tad Evolution 1
- Tidal Contriva Diacera SE
- Raidho D3 V2
- Focal Stella Utopia EM
- Wilson Alexia 2
- Diesis Audio Caput Mundi

I know they are very different from one each other and dont have much in common but would love to hear your take on this.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
What's your room demensions? What type and power of amps, etc.

Out that group I've only heard the Radio which I didn't care for personally. I also heard the Wilson Alexia 2 which are exceptional in the right room with the proper electronics (I heard them with Audio Research)...

Edited for spelling

Hi guys,
I am planning to go for a change in one of my speakers just for the sake of trying different brands.

- Graham 5/8
- Tad Evolution 1
- Radio D3 V2
- Focal Stella Utopia EM
- Wilson Alexia 2

I know they are very different from one each other and dont have much in common but would love to hear your take on this.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Hi guys,

- Graham 5/8
- Tad Evolution 1
- Radio D3 V2
- Focal Stella Utopia EM
- Wilson Alexia 2

Thanks in advance.
I don't know where you live but if you get the chance to listen to the Divin Marquis I don't think you will be disappointed. If you live in the US come visit

Reactions: moby2004

Ozan K

Dec 16, 2020
What's your room demensions? What type and power of amps, etc.

Out that group I've only heard the Radio which I didn't care for personally. I also heard the Wilson Alexia 2 which are exceptional in the right room with the proper electronics (I heard them with Audio Research)...

Edited for spelling
Room around 30 sq meters
Amplification : I will change it according to the speaker, so no limitation there

Thanks

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys,

- Graham 5/8
- Tad Evolution 1
- Raidho D3 V2
- Focal Stella Utopia EM
- Wilson Alexia 2
- Diesis Audio Caput Mundi

Thanks in advance.
I would put Borresen 03s instead of the Raidho D3s in your shortlist.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing