New PS Audio Directstream DAC

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
That would be an interesting shootout. Both the PD and DS are based on similar design principles if I understand correctly. I suspect the new firmware takes it easily into 5 figure top dog territory. From what I recall, it runs circles around the EMM Labs DAC2X (I owned one). I am personally most interested in a comparison against the Berkeley Reference.

the last time I had the pre-production version of this dac in my room we did not do a comparison with the PD; he had it there only to hear it in my system. the time before which had been a few months prior we did briefly compare it and I preferred the PD. however; that was quite early in the process of combining his dac and the PS Audio output circuit......so hard to draw any conclusions. my PD is now over 8 years old and on it's 25th or so software release. it's been an amazing product to still be relevant. in fact; I don't know of any other digital product which can say that. being a discrete software based dac does give it staying power compared to chip based products. Andreas clearly knew where things were going. the PS Audio Directstream DAC has a similar software advantage in staying power. they do have some fundamental differences in how they process as far as I know.

Ted and Andreas have common deep roots on the software side of digital audio design and worked together back in the day. these things are not accidents.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Maybe it's time to upgrade my Mk2. I have always appreciated ps audio's firmware and hardware upgrades over the past 5 years.

Wait...what? You have a DAC?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I just ordered one, along with a Shunyata USB cable. Now to find out if it betters my Auralic Vega. If not then back it goes.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I just ordered one, along with a Shunyata USB cable. Now to find out if it betters my Auralic Vega. If not then back it goes.

Please do report your findings. We would expect the alleged price performance leader in the $5-$8K bracket to beat this (any) $3,500 DAC, but audio is and will always remain voodoo, so everything is possible.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Please do report your findings. We would expect the alleged price performance leader in the $5-$8K bracket to beat this (any) $3,500 DAC, but audio is and will always remain voodoo, so everything is possible.

What is the "alleged price performance leader in the $5-$8K bracket " ?

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
That would be the DirectStream. Of course, owners of other fine DACs in this segment will beg to differ.

I'm sure they will.

My listening to date tells me that the Lampizator DSD DAC sounds better than the Direct Stream. Even so, the Direct Stream is a nice DAC.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm sure they will.

My listening to date tells me that the Lampizator DSD DAC sounds better than the Direct Stream. Even so, the Direct Stream is a nice DAC.

I had a hunch this DAC would come up. Appears to be a second condidate for the prize, with a loyal following. Never heard it. I will say the DS with new firmware is (to my ears) essentially a new, higher grade DAC. I don't make these type of outrageous sounding claims lightly.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I had a hunch this DAC would come up. Appears to be a second condidate for the prize, with a loyal following. Never heard it. I will say the DS with new firmware is (to my ears) essentially a new, higher grade DAC. I don't make these type of outrageous sounding claims lightly.

I heard them both and the DS had the old firmware. The DS was not in the same zip code even with L4 DSD. I do not make that claim lightly at all. I expected it to be closer.

I am also reliably informed that though improved, it cannot touch Big7 DSD.

You need to hear it to understand. The follwong is loyal for a reason. Lukasz stroked the sweetspot.

Find a way to get a listen.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I heard them both and the DS had the old firmware. The DS was not in the same zip code even with L4 DSD. I do not make that claim lightly at all. I expected it to be closer.

I am also reliably informed that though improved, it cannot touch Big7 DSD.

You need to hear it to understand. The follwong is loyal for a reason. Lukasz stroked the sweetspot.

Find a way to get a listen.

The lampizator big 7 is in the next price segment up. No doubt it is a phenomenal DAC and I'd love to hear it. I'm hugely sketical of bold claims about massive differences between high grade DACs. I did a 4 way shootout between NAD M51, Mytek, DirectStream and MSB SIgnature. I found them to be shockingly close. I will say, with the new FW, the DS bests the $30K MSB Signature Plus.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The lampizator big 7 is in the next price segment up. No doubt it is a phenomenal DAC and I'd love to hear it. I'm hugely sketical of bold claims about massive differences between high grade DACs. I did a 4 way shootout between NAD M51, Mytek, DirectStream and MSB SIgnature. I found them to be shockingly close. I will say, with the new FW, the DS bests the $30K MSB Signature Plus.

I have both the B7 and before the DSD only Lampi. Lampi DSD likely will have more jump factor. Check it out and let me know what you think, if you get a chance.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have both the B7 and before the DSD only Lampi. Lampi DSD likely will have more jump factor. Check it out and let me know what you think, if you get a chance.

I have been more tempted to check out the Berkeley Reference, but so far been able to resist the temptation. The new Firmware has further tempered the urge.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
No limit to what you can try. If I can hear any of these, I jump at it.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm sure they will.

+1 for the Lampizator, followed closely by the Playback Designs MPD-3

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I can get my msb close to the lampi woth tube rolling and in some views he lampi is better. But I cannit get how he DS is in the same league as a msb. I still own both and going from one to the other is not good for me. As the msb is just too Above the DS. But going back and forth between the lampi and msb it's a good up. In fact the only way the msb wins every time is low level details. It appears here is just more music at low level then any dac. I shave ever heard. Now maybe it's my headphones or speakers that reviel this as some setups cannot. But in soft or hard or just overwhelming realism they both are marvels and the DS is nice but too polite and looses my attention. Unless I just keep playing it day after day as I am now doing beta testing for B2. Now going from msb and lampi is pure mood and desire. As for MyTek now that dac I just never learned to like it sits ona shelf

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The new Stereophile shows a few new measurements with the latest firmware. The 50hz sinewave looks better, but it's still pretty ugly. JA didn't publish the new frequency response plot.

I am usually a huge sceptic of people reporting dramatic changes (improvements) after making a small change or tweak (fuses, firmware, vibration control, etc.), but today I am here to report that the new firmware (1.2.3) of the PS Audio directstream to me transforms is to a different caliber DAC (next model up in the lineup at twice the price in traditional product lines). How it stacks up now against the big boys (to me it was pretty close to my MSB Signature when it just came out - working from faint memory, I would have to say/infere it is better now). The PS Audio team has really worked some magic with this new firmware.....

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
As measurments do not always equate to good or bad sound I can say to brain it's he best yet. As both edorr and I both have msb stacks to compare to. For both of us the PIKE software is very nice. It's slightly Brite if neutral is fine in the right setup. Most other firmwares from is audio were Warner. This new one is refreshing to me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing