New Diablo 333

New beautiful piece of equipment from Gryphon was presented in Munich by Mr. Rune Skov few days ago, Diablo 333.
One of the best sound on the show.
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-22 at 04.26.55(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-22 at 04.26.55.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-22 at 04.26.55(2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-22 at 04.26.55(3).jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunra and hogen
That is one serious integrated amp! I'm sure it is one killer piece of gear.

That is one serious integrated amp! I'm sure it is one killer piece of gear.
I think it will be a worthy successor to Diablo 300, new preamp section, Toshiba output transistors are the same as in Apex, one pair more than in 300 per channel, new DAC with newest ESS Sabre chipset, also new MC/MM phono module.
According to Rune Skov, the goal was not a just increase of the raw power, but the possibility of control, to have authority to run almost any speaker you can find on the market.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunra and hogen
Wow, that’s a serious piece of kit.

Price? Weight? Power? Class A?

Last edited:
Looks like a fantastic bit of kit and has really moved the DIablo on, although it's quite a bit more expensive now. I wonder if a fully loaded 333 will take sales away from the Essence?

… anyone hear it yet? Seriously interested in this for my Sascha DAWs… also how it compares to Essence pre/power… cheers,

Hi skinnyfla,

Diablo 333 could be listened in Munich last year, for me it was top 5 sound on show, regardless of that experience it is difficult to give a serious observation because the fair conditions do not allow it.
Member CJmooney had experience listening to Diablo 333 under 'controlled conditions' and shared it on the forum in another thread:

GRYPHON UNVEILS DIABLO 333 AT TWO DEALER EVENTS

Last edited:
Reactions: CJmooney
I have at 333 at home at the moment with about 20 hours on it and I have my 300 to compare.

Does anyone know if or how long the break in period is?

My initial listening tells me that the 333 has thunderous tight bass. It extracts more detail than the 300 and it has a wider and deeper soundstage. But.. it lacks the warmth of the 300 in the midrange and treble but this could be down to being new. So a string quartet isn't as enjoyable to listen to when compared to the 300. It is definitely trickle down technology from Apex rather than an upgraded 300. And it is heavy although has more or less the same dimensions as the 300. It hardly warms up either. The 300 is gets hotter. It also has a 20amp IEC (UK) instead of the normal three pin IEC we are used to which is also a pain. But the operation of thing is nicer and they have done away with the stupid 300 remote control which didn't in my case work properly.

I have the amp for a few more days. I expected to be blown away but have not been (yet). Some tracks are great but others leave me wondering - is this worth the upgrade over the 300. Will add a few more hours and see if it changes.

And one more thing. Gryphon have replaced the rubber feet with metal cones which are sharpened at the end so you either risk serious injury to yourself trying to lift and manoeuvre the thing or you risk gouging your rack or amp stand etc. And it willbe a disaster for sound quality. If it was possible I would replace these in a heartbeat.

Reactions: GSOphile and Hasse
I have at 333 at home at the moment with about 20 hours on it and I have my 300 to compare.

Does anyone know if or how long the break in period is?

My initial listening tells me that the 333 has thunderous tight bass. It extracts more detail than the 300 and it has a wider and deeper soundstage. But.. it lacks the warmth of the 300 in the midrange and treble but this could be down to being new. So a string quartet isn't as enjoyable to listen to when compared to the 300. It is definitely trickle down technology from Apex rather than an upgraded 300. And it is heavy although has more or less the same dimensions as the 300. It hardly warms up either. The 300 is gets hotter. It also has a 20amp IEC (UK) instead of the normal three pin IEC we are used to which is also a pain. But the operation of thing is nicer and they have done away with the stupid 300 remote control which didn't in my case work properly.

I have the amp for a few more days. I expected to be blown away but have not been (yet). Some tracks are great but others leave me wondering - is this worth the upgrade over the 300. Will add a few more hours and see if it changes.
Thanks, I have not had the chance to compare the 300 and 333 side by side yet. I’ve been afraid that the 333 could be a bit too controlled and less warm than the 300. I think my D300 has all the control my Magnepans need and more analytical/less warm would be a downgrade for my system
Looking forward to your further thoughts but newer is not always better

Reactions: skinnyfla
As a former Diablo 300 owner, I would be surprised if Gryphon has brought out a significantly more expensive successor unit that does not sound better after adequate break-in. If this is a dealer demo, I would expect the dealer to address the break-in exposure without additional charge.

Reactions: Laurusri
I can't really believe that the 333 will deliver a quantum leap in soundquality vs. the 300. My intention to replace my 300 would go to a significant upgrade, i.e. essence combination or similar.

I can't really believe that the 333 will deliver a quantum leap in soundquality vs. the 300. My intention to replace my 300 would go to a significant upgrade, i.e. essence combination or similar.
I would go directly to the Antileon to get a significant upgrade. Some people actually prefer the D300 over the Essence combo. Different sound character but not necessarily better.

Reactions: wackerd
Interesting comments redwick, please do post up more when you've had it for a few more days. I'd really like to hear the 333 as it seems to get positive press from what I've heard. I would expect the 333 to be a significant jump from the 300, as it should given the large price increase.

I had a 300, then changed to an Essence pre/power, then to a Pandora pre/Essence power, then to a Pandora pre/Mephisto power combination. For me, the sweet spot of cost vs value is the Essence combo (although I am already planning a Commander), and it would be interesting to read views of anyone who has an Essence pre/power and a 333 to listen to back-to-back.

Gryphon must be using more efficient technology, as the Apex runs a lot cooler than the Mephisto (and presumably the Essence and Antileon).

What Power will the Commander deive, Mephisto or Essence ?

Interesting comments redwick, please do post up more when you've had it for a few more days. I'd really like to hear the 333 as it seems to get positive press from what I've heard. I would expect the 333 to be a significant jump from the 300, as it should given the large price increase.

I had a 300, then changed to an Essence pre/power, then to a Pandora pre/Essence power, then to a Pandora pre/Mephisto power combination. For me, the sweet spot of cost vs value is the Essence combo (although I am already planning a Commander), and it would be interesting to read views of anyone who has an Essence pre/power and a 333 to listen to back-to-back.

Gryphon must be using more efficient technology, as the Apex runs a lot cooler than the Mephisto (and presumably the Essence and Antileon).
Please let us know if you upgrade to the Commander and what your observations are. You and I both have the Pandora/Mephisto. From speaking with Rune Skov and few others, done incrementally Apex/Commander. The Commander will make a bigger impact vs Pandora/Apex. I tried the Essence pre with the Mephisto, the Pandora is a much better combination...

I am astounded as to how many people leave the Mephisto in High Bias. If listening below 46 (pandora) medium bias is giving you all the Class A you need. Good if your cold. I used to use the Green Bias cable. This will show you where each bias changes. Medium/High...

Reactions: Corinthian

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing