New Cartridge Accessory from Lloyd Walker

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just what we need...more snakeoil. Please!

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Just what we need...more snakeoil. Please!

Well, in order for it to be snake oil it would have to do nothing. If that is correct, this one is not snake oil.

Whether or not it will work to each person's system to satisfaction is a different story. In my system, adding or removing it is clearly audible.

Dre

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Well, in order for it to be snake oil it would have to do nothing. If that is correct, this one is not snake oil.

Whether or not it will work to each person's system to satisfaction is a different story. In my system, adding or removing it is clearly audible.

Dre

Sorry, but I'm really skeptical about these kinds of tweaks. Glad to hear you feel it makes a difference in your system, as that is all that really matters.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Sorry, but I'm really skeptical about these kinds of tweaks. Glad to hear you feel it makes a difference in your system, as that is all that really matters.

Understood. If you knew me better, you would know I don't go for tweaks untested. I'm more of a prove it type with less hype. I like fundamental straightforward changes.

If I hadn't observed the audible differences first hand on 4 very good cartridges I have in-house right now, I would have been skeptical myself. Without hesitation, I can say it is very audible and far from snake-oil.

As stated above, it's up to the individual to judge how it fits within the context of his/her system though.

Dre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Dre

Also remember the ZYX Omega cartridges? :)

ZYX_Omega_2.jpg

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'm guessing it probably does do something. I bought his Talisman shortly after it came out, and yes, several of us could hear a difference in its use. I just became indifferent to using it at a certain point. It's the kind of 'accessory' that makes sense when you have got everything wrung out as far as it can be, and you are now looking for that last iota. Or, so I assume.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
What, exactly, is it supposed to do?

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Hi Dre, Can you describe the differences you hear in your system using the crystal? Is it a positive change or just a different sound?

gamve

Feb 9, 2013
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
This is not a wearing part. That being the case the supplier should be offering free home trials or money back guarantees, should they not?
It is obvious that it will make a difference. The crystal must have some mass. In the additional information it says mass 1LBS, better get a new conterweight :)

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
This is not a wearing part. That being the case the supplier should be offering free home trials or money back guarantees, should they not?
It is obvious that it will make a difference. The crystal must have some mass. In the additional information it says mass 1LBS, better get a new conterweight :)

Kind of depends on what kind of adhesive they supply to attach it. Can it be removed and reattached easily?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I suspect that's shipping weight, box, etc. included. :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I wonder what cartridge manufacturers think and if using it will void any warranties?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I wonder what cartridge manufacturers think and if using it will void any warranties?

What kind of damage could Lloyd's tweak do? Other than someone not reading the instructions where resetting your VTF is *emphasized*.

BTW, there's also HFT dot for cartridges too.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
my Sapphire cartridge plate for my Durand Telos tonearm is a winner. Sapphire simply has lower resonance than any metal head shell.

OTOH a piece of Sapphire glued to the head shell or cartridge might be a different thing.....or it could dampen resonance without deadening the sound. anything done to the head shell will have an effect of some sort based on the degree of resolution in your system.

i own a number of Lloyd's tweaks and they all work in the context of my system. a couple are back in my cabinet currently but most are still relevant. if Lloyd says this does a good thing it likely does.

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
What kind of damage could Lloyd's tweak do? Other than someone not reading the instructions where resetting your VTF is *emphasized*.

BTW, there's also HFT dot for cartridges too.

If you attach the gizmo directly to the cartridge, I can see some cartridge companies wincing. You are adding mass to a cartridge that was never intended to be there by the manufacturer. I think my question is valid.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Hi Dre, Can you describe the differences you hear in your system using the crystal? Is it a positive change or just a different sound?

Hi Sean,

It's both, depending on where you put the device. That's why he provides the removable substance before attaching semi-permanently with glue.

I'm actually in the middle "characterizing" a different cartridge on my other table. When I do this procedure, there is a period of time I stay away from the other setup so I only use the one. Right now I'm in the middle of that. I'll try to break my cycle in a day or two to do a quick recheck. Most of the improvements mentioned on the website in terms of what you can hear are achievable if you can find the best placement for the device. The best way to think of it is like adding another step to your setup procedure.

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012

What warranty would that be? Is your XV1-s still under warranty?

Besides, The location I placed the device after much testing, was directly on the front of the headshell pointing forward. If you are skittish about it, just use the removable adhesive instead or until you know you want to put it somewhere else permanently.

If you want to hear the thing, just come down and visit, I'll put it on and off for you. :)
a little over 2 hours drive and you're done
Dre

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing