Never Forget Our Ears-An Essay About Attentiveness

Hipper

Jun 12, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
I often listen in a darkened room and/or with my eyes closed. I find with eyes open I too often tend to concentrate more on the detail and how the whole system sounds whereas in the dark or with eyes closed particularly, that's when I get more immersed in the music.

My listening until the last few years has concentrated on a good quality headphone system. Mostly because I live in a flat (apartment) but also because I thought the music sounded best that way. About six years or so ago I decided to look again at speakers and was able to create a semi dedicated listening room. I'm impressed with what I can do and like the greater freedom of not wearing cans but I still don't feel I've got it right. I noticed this particularly the other day when I had a session on headphones using a more modest set up and, with eyes closed, it was a wonderful experience. Singers seemed to be singing FOR ME. Little harmonies were introduced. Subtle instrument play added, all just for MY pleasure.

I've never had such an intimate experience with speakers - at least not yet. Is it possible?

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
I often listen in a darkened room and/or with my eyes closed. I find with eyes open I too often tend to concentrate more on the detail and how the whole system sounds whereas in the dark or with eyes closed particularly, that's when I get more immersed in the music.

My listening until the last few years has concentrated on a good quality headphone system. Mostly because I live in a flat (apartment) but also because I thought the music sounded best that way. About six years or so ago I decided to look again at speakers and was able to create a semi dedicated listening room. I'm impressed with what I can do and like the greater freedom of not wearing cans but I still don't feel I've got it right. I noticed this particularly the other day when I had a session on headphones using a more modest set up and, with eyes closed, it was a wonderful experience. Singers seemed to be singing FOR ME. Little harmonies were introduced. Subtle instrument play added, all just for MY pleasure.

I've never had such an intimate experience with speakers - at least not yet. Is it possible?

HI Hipper,
Oh yes, I think such an intimate experience is possible with speakers. Witness the folks on this forum who, I think, usually use speakers. Ultimately, it is a very personal thing. Generally, there is nothing wrong with either approach.

In my repair shop, I used quality headphones for critical listening often. But at home, I never use headphones. I am comfortable with either. Headphones, with respect to Attentiveness, are very effective because of the isolation from the environment they provide. I find it makes entering the meditative state easier and distractions are fewer. And there is no doubt that great headphones and great amplification can give great sound. All this is good.

However, I do prefer speakers because I have great speakers, a good system, and a good room. I think the addition of room acoustics makes for a more realistic experience. The room is of critical importance. But, that's just me.

As for eyes open verses eyes closed, I have a very different experience from yours. With eyes open, I can't get into anything resembling the meditative state which completely defeats the Attentiveness program. With eyes closed, and the Attentiveness program clicked in, I can shift between critical equipment listening and full emergence in the musical experience. It's an act of will controlling the portion of the experience you pay attention to. If you practice, I believe you will find the same thing. However, problems with the sound will tend to draw me to the critical listening mode. This makes it difficult to enjoy the music with less than a first class system. But, I can do it if the problems are not too severe. It's just a little more work.

It is a truth that there are many different sounding systems that are excellent. While these systems may not reflect the choices I would make, it doesn't detract from their excellence. Here, the Attentiveness program is especially useful. In this case, Attentiveness can be programmed to enjoy the differences and the great sound. It is fun to do this and a challenge. I love to hear great sound no matter how it is achieved.

If I'm listening to music on a transistor or car radio, I just forget the whole exercise and just listen in a general sort of way. In this case I'm always multitasking so Attentiveness becomes academic.

Sparky

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing