Netflix defends itself in wake of Steven Spielberg's proposed Oscars ban

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
1- he's a bit stuck in the past, isn't he?
2- who cares about The Oscars anyhow?
3- is he pushing next for only movies filmed on 70mm being permissible LOL?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
1- he's a bit stuck in the past, isn't he?
2- who cares about The Oscars anyhow?
3- is he pushing next for only movies filmed on 70mm being permissible LOL?

Don't remember the last time he made a good movie either

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
"Duel" makes a good argument as being close to his best film.

I'm sure he'd have loved an Oscar for it despite it being shown first as a tv movie.

Steve Williams

You guys crack me up. Spielberg is imho one of the most innovative directors the industry has ever seem

Is he living in the past? If so then the rules need to be changed. Roma was shown for a few nights in a few theaters around the country. In order to qualify. His point is that if you’re streaming for TV then you have a movie made for TV. I can’t disagree

Reactions: jeff1225

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
kinda funny since Spielberg was basically the reason Green Book got made

i think the Academy quietly voted for its opinion on Netflix, which spent millions trying to buy a Best Picture statue and go around the industry. They could have played more by the rules and chose not to. reminds me of Tesla and dealerships.

Amazon almost won a few years ago for Manchester by the Sea, but it was a proper theatrical release.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve, I'll always love the guy for Duel>Jaws>CEOTTK>Indy Trilogy. Not so much for Indy 4 LOL.

He's fighting a losing battle here re Netflix.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I always felt sorry for The Last Seduction. If any movie deserved Best Actress etc, this was it.

Unfortunately it was inadvertently shown on cable tv 48 hrs before a cinema run, and thus exempted itself.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
What do you guys think of Spielberg's proposal

If so Roma would not have been nominated or won the Oscar for Best Foreign film

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture...teven-spielberg-s-proposed-oscars-ban-n978846

This Fall (October), the film 'The Irishman' from Marty Scorsese will be released on Netflix.
Netflix paid $130 million for it by the way.

Now, if Steven Spielberg ('Ready Player One'), one of my favorite filmmakers in the cinema history, and one large voice in AMPAS (Academy voters in Hollywood), among 8,000 other voters from the movie industry, says that films like Roma, The Irishman, ...shouldn't be nominated for the Oscars, even if those films abide by the rules of AMPAS, he is one voice and one voice only, regardless of how big is his voice unless that voice can convince the Academy voters, the majority, to accept his proposition.

I agree with what Marc said above, pretty much he said it all in only few words...post #2.

I know that in Hollywood movie theaters are their bread and butter and that Streaming services like Netflix is enemy public numbero uno for gentlemen like Mr. Steven Spielberg.
I would also love to hear from Oliver Stone, Marty Scorsese, Alfonso Cuarón, Guillermo del Toro, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Robert Duvall, Quentin Tarantino, ...all the other 8,000 voters from the Academy on their own take from this.

Me personally I believe in democracy, justice, equality, expansion, higher knowledge, better advancement, sharing of culture, solidifying peace, opening hearts to love and friendship among the various diversifications, ...all that jazz from Mexico, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Canada, USA, Poland, Holland, Germany, France, Netflix, Hollywood and the Oscars under a universal cinema roof here in America...USA.
But, I am only a super minuscule voice outside the confines of the Academy voters...brief I count for less than nothing, minus zero, and I'm only Canadian...not viewed very well right now by the Americans, the Chinese (Huawei), Saudi Arabia (Chrystia Freeland), Canadians themselves because of Venezuela and Cuba and Alberta and Quebec and SNC-Lavalin (Justin Trudeau). Still, cinema is big in Canada too and we have some terrific film directors (Denis Villeneuve) and actors and natural decor sets (British Columbia).

I have zero issue with 'Green Book' Best Picture, and even less with 'Roma' Best Foreign Language Film. ...Same for all the other Oscar winners in all the twenty-four categories, including Best Song. If Steven Spielberg has an issue it is his right. I respect that right to have an opinion that others might agree with or not. It's the voice of all people that counts, worth fighting for.

I think Mr. Steven Spielberg I understand 100% very very clearly his view. I respect that view.
What is the Academy thinks of it, all the people who have the power of veto?
I go with the overall harmony of all.

Movies are one part of our culture (music another, paintings one more, architecture, gardens, parks, forests, cities, etc.) and our culture comprises the riches and the poor. Not everyone can afford a movie theater in the land their ancestors died for, they are living on, their towns, villages.
If Mr. Steven Spielberg wants to make the Oscars an exclusivity for the theaters only, English language only, whatever pleases him, he's free on this land of the brave and the free to tweet his opinion to the universal cinema culture of the American continent, to the entire world, including Sunset Boulevard.

I could ask the same question back to you Steve?

As much as I love Steven Spielberg I love even more Alfonso Cuarón right now, and his own take in this all cinema affair in Hollywood @ the Oscars (AMPAS).
Netflix is a disease for the unfortunate few, and a liberation for the fortunate handsome few too.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
The consumer has spoken and they like streaming. Spielberg is completely out of touch if he thinks the consumer is going to care if a movie is not "Oscar" worthy if it's on Netflix.

But let us not forget Schindler's List, one of the greatest films ever made (according to Scorsese.)

Steve Williams

The consumer has spoken and they like streaming. Spielberg is completely out of touch if he thinks the consumer is going to care if a movie is not "Oscar" worthy if it's on Netflix.

But let us not forget Schindler's List, one of the greatest films ever made (according to Scorsese.)

as was Saving Private Ryan which lost out to Shakespeare in Love which was marketed better by the Weinstein Brothers

Reactions: jeff1225

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I've always thought that means of distributing art as a discriminator of quality was a contrived artifice anyway. The end user certainly no longer sees such arbitrary distinctions as important. As an example, I thought that "OJ Made in America" was the best movie of 2016, even though it was a documentary, distributed via ESPN. The vast number of categories for awards seems artificial in order to increase the number of people winning awards. Hollywood should align its alleged values with the awards it bestows. I would start by eliminating separate awards for actors and actresses.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I would start by eliminating separate awards for actors and actresses.

Great thought, they are all actors, no need for the word actress at all really.

Reactions: NorthStar

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Ked is a vinyl man. ...Zerostargeneral and Jimmy Page (Ked Zeppelin).
Movies are not his mojo. ;):D ...Just kedding K.

* Did you see Green Book?

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
as was Saving Private Ryan which lost out to Shakespeare in Love which was marketed better by the Weinstein Brothers
That was a great year for film. I am guessing the the votes were divided among "Saving Private Ryan", "Thin Red Line", "Life Is Beautiful" and "war era" films. "Shakespeare in Love" was an excellent feel good move that was well done. I would have had no issue with any of those winning.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing