Need recommendations for a loudspeaker...

flm09

May 1, 2020
Hey everyone!
Can someone give me suggestions for a high efficiency speaker that my Cayin 300b integrated can do it justice? Right now i am using the Klipsch Heresy IV. Can I do better? I would go $6k max for a budget.

Thanks!
Thanks!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm a twelve years and counting owner of Zu spkrs, and they do so many things right. A good choice of models btwn $1k to $4.5k.
Omen Dirty Weekend is a true bargain at $1k, and the Soul Supremes at $4.5k get a real taste of upper echelon Zu DNA.
Great company to deal with as well.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Wait for a second hand pair of Pureaudioproject horns... either in trio or quintet. These are potentially a step above the ordinary expectations that great speakers at this price point can usually pose.

Options to upgrade the parts in the crossover put the sq available from these speakers much much above what might be expected at this price point. The pap horns (as I have them modded) now can play in the league of the Magnepans 20.7s sonically and even out step them musically.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
You might check out "Living Voice" loudspeakers. High efficiency speakers. nicely built and various price points depending on if you want an external crossover etc. The Border Patrol amps (which are also 300B amps) are paired with these so your 300B's should have no issues.

flm09

May 1, 2020
I am liking these recommendations! You guys think a JBL 4429 is too hard to drive in med size room with 8 watts?

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
91 dB at 6 ohms -- I would look for a different speaker. 99 dB and a flat impedance which was mentioned by others too. You may get away with 96 dB, depending on how you listen. Consider Daedalus (I have no financial affiliation with Lou).

flm09

May 1, 2020
91 dB at 6 ohms -- I would look for a different speaker. 99 dB and a flat impedance which was mentioned by others too. You may get away with 96 dB, depending on how you listen. Consider Daedalus (I have no financial affiliation with Lou).

Ok thanks Ketcham!:)

Last edited:

flm09

May 1, 2020
I'm seriously looking into the Daedalus Athena V2 but can they be had for $5k?

flm09

May 1, 2020
I will most likely look at Living voice R25A or Avatar R3? Anyone here own Living voice speakers?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Those are interesting speakers but my real budget is only $4k!
I can sell you at 4K$.

The more important thing is whether you like it at your home or not.

It cost lot of money through shipping (400$ at least).

Thus if you can pick it up, then it is easier to audition it.

Last edited:

flm09

May 1, 2020
Let me look into more! I simple crossover and simple design. Yours seem more suited for solid state high power.

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
daedalus crossover.jpg

Daedalus crossovers are fundamentally the same for his entire speaker line. Now uses in focused areas Duelund caps. Call Lou or PM me about the speakers. He will know one or two models that best fit your room. Lou also has demo/showpieces that are a great deal. I usually do not buy speakers used but I would Daedalus.

I settled on Daedalus after extensive research. Yes, there are other amazing companies out there. I am always focused on quality, performance and value -- Daedalus is an amazing deal for what you get.

I recommend Lou's speakers to customers worldwide. Shipping overseas is actually very easy and amazing cheap when placed on skids and sent freight. The small and mid-sized easily can be shipped by air.

Reactions: Mikem53

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Along with Spatial I’d look at Pi speakers.

Lou is a great guy but I’m not a fan of the midrange under any circumstance so far...

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
I will most likely look at Living voice R25A or Avatar R3? Anyone here own Living voice speakers?

A few guys I know have or have had various Avatar's and love them. I've heard them in various setups, the best driven by a Dartzeel intergrated.

There's something about their bass that has never worked for me, they've never satisfied. They seem to me to verge on the lightweight/polite. That said what they do they do well so they may work for you.

flm09

May 1, 2020
View attachment 65799

Daedalus crossovers are fundamentally the same for his entire speaker line. Now uses in focused areas Duelund caps. Call Lou or PM me about the speakers. He will know one or two models that best fit your room. Lou also has demo/showpieces that are a great deal. I usually do not buy speakers used but I would Daedalus.

I settled on Daedalus after extensive research. Yes, there are other amazing companies out there. I am always focused on quality, performance and value -- Daedalus is an amazing deal for what you get.

I recommend Lou's speakers to customers worldwide. Shipping overseas is actually very easy and amazing cheap when placed on skids and sent freight. The small and mid-sized easily can be shipped by air.
Damn that's the biggest crossover I have seen!
I was interested in the Athena v2. I don't mind demo but I dont want any scratches or dings or I won't be able to focus on the music. I'm OCD that way. I'm from BC Canada.

flm09

May 1, 2020
A few guys I know have or have had various Avatar's and love them. I've heard them in various setups, the best driven by a Dartzeel intergrated.

There's something about their bass that has never worked for me, they've never satisfied. They seem to me to verge on the lightweight/polite. That said what they do they do well so they may work for you.

Yes I'm more into mids and highs so it could work!

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Damn that's the biggest crossover I have seen!

My guess is that Lou is paralleling a whole lot of small, same-value capacitors to arrive at the value the circuit calls for, rather than just using a single correct-value capacitor, or using a big cap bypassed with a very small one.

Imo using many small same-value capacitors is an excellent technique, but as you can see it does take up a lot of real estate.

Duke

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing