NASA space launch used tube in audio

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
5876 is a space age tube in used at MERCURY launch, today NOS price is about $30, quality over the price so much, I try to post this to the tube forum here, but I found out most of the readers reply just replacing tubes to their gear for difference and there no market amp using this tube before, so still in DIY is better, may be not too many DIY amp builders in this site and I did post this to diy.com and got some positive reply.there are two type of DIYERS , one is beside with fun in build but mainly for pay less, they use same value numbers of components to the market made amp design and that is the main in that .com, sometime they can have good result by lucky, but sound quality is count on component's quality, so the other type of DIYERS doesn't mind to pay more for better level, sometime just one out put transformer cost more than the whole system in the market, still amp is only one part of the system if looking for the best need others to support otherwise you don't know how good it can be so I try to post in here. Not all old NOS component must be better than today's make, today's cap and transformer has much better quality than the old time made with new material but tube is different story, especially those made for military industrial and high tech use, and now no more jobs for them in their field but it is over quality for audio, so if you can convert it to use in audio, you will have a super quality parts with small cost, here the circuit in using this tube to drive a 809(NOS$30) transmitting tube to have 8 watts in SE out put, the most simple and less parts amp design but you can challenge any high price 300B amp in the market made but with good quality transformers

Attachments

• Picture 019..jpg
    Picture 019..jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 980
  • Picture 014..jpg
    Picture 014..jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,684
  • Picture 010..jpg
    Picture 010..jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 899
  • Picture 021..jpg
    Picture 021..jpg
    75 KB · Views: 897
  • Picture 017..jpg
    Picture 017..jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 920

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
First I've ever heard about much less seen a "Pencil" tube. Thanks Tony.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
First I've ever heard about much less seen a "Pencil" tube. Thanks Tony.
Hi Jack
You are right they call pencil type, because it is very high gain and less noise I put it to my PHONO stage as well, even you can build a less 1 watt amp just by it alone , the only problem is there are no sockets for sale I use a big fuse holder for socket, it works, expensive NOS 12AX7 or E88CC can compare to this one after you try you will have the answer
tony ma

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What is the connection on top of the 807 for? I see it on some transmitter tubes like the 805 pentode. I noticed the 5876 connects directly to them. Also I noticed only 2 pins?

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
What is the connection on top of the 807 for? I see it on some transmitter tubes like the 805 pentode. I noticed the 5876 connects directly to them. Also I noticed only 2 pins?

That is 809 is a triode 805 also is a triode too, 807 is pentode, and real triode always sound better than pentode but less power or efficiency. the top connector is the plate connection connect to the out put transformer, two pins you saw is the heater pin of 5876, the fuse holder hold one side of the plate the other side hold the cathode, in the middle round plate is the grid, got interest to build one of this ?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have no build talent but for fun I have my friend build stuff for me. Currently he is making me a Single Ended Parallel amps using 2a3 power tubes and AudioNote OPTs. Can this work in place of 6SN7 for driver applications? You said they are strong enough as power tubes. Possible?

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I have no build talent but for fun I have my friend build stuff for me. Currently he is making me a Single Ended Parallel amps using 2a3 power tubes and AudioNote OPTs. Can this work in place of 6SN7 for driver applications? You said they are strong enough as power tubes. Possible?

2a3 is a negative bias tube can very easy to drive, 6SN7 with gain of 8 but 5876's gain is over 30, so it can drive a positive bias transmitting tube like 809 826 808 812A to have more than 8 watts out in single single end, parallel 2a3 will have same size out put power but single 809 much cheaper than 2 NOS 2a3 and after you have tasted the positive bias transmitting tube's sound, I am sure you will not go back again ask your friend build one for you, the inter stage transformer can use Audio note's line stage out-put 5K to 600 ohm just make sure current is opposite between pri and sec.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Interesting! Is the schematic above complete?

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Interesting! Is the schematic above complete?

need power supply design, easy job, separate it to other case with tube rectifier( 5V4G or 5U4, 5R4, 5AR4) and choke(10H) in put to get best result, two LM317 adjustable regulator IC for bias voltage supply to adjust 809's current, 6.3V DC voltage supplies for 809 and 5876. you can make one High Voltage power supply for the whole amp, or two for stereo, the best is two for pair 809 and two for pair 5876 too, in doing this way and with all silver audio transformers it will become top of the world in this out put class

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Can you share power supply schematics? :)

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Can you share power supply schematics? :)

No problem, but what is your city voltage ? it needs fine turning, I most use Hammond power transformers they rate in 115V , but in Canada is 120V, that means 0.5% higher in the sec voltage, this is the different between DIY's make and market make,we try to do the best, I try to design a power supply which can be fine turn for you, post later

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
230v 60Hz Tony. Thanks in advance :)

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I still need more information , can you get power transformer at 230v ? by who make ? or custom make ? I can design with Hammond's product no. 274X +193C choke for one channel or additional 272X + 156G choke for 5876 only, but they are 115V, you need a step down transformer from the wall, and I also need to know the DC resistance of the out put transformer also the inter stage too, talking about those audio transformers Audio note from UK can be use form their catalog 10K to 600 ohm 30ma for inter stage and 3.5K 100ma for out put, if you looking for silver they also have but in very high price, I always do custom make from Electric print audio in Las vegas you can E mail and ask JACK over there to make those for you in cooper or silver, and tell him about from Tony Ma, he will give you good price

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing