Nagra HD Dac

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
It would be great if Nagra, a company famous for its professional audio recorders, could design - together with Andreas Koch - a new 2X DSD recorder.

And a DSD 128 Workstation to go with it.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
That's a job for Gus Skinas and his team :cool:

I'm not sure that the Super Audio Center has the time, money and desire to take on Pyramix in the DSD-128 and above DSD Workstation market. We will see if there are other companies out there that do.

Hiro

Apr 17, 2013
I'm not sure that the Super Audio Center has the time, money and desire to take on Pyramix in the DSD-128 and above DSD Workstation market. We will see if there are other companies out there that do.

From what I heard, the Sonoma DAW, on which the SA Center has relied for several years for their projects, is basically DSD128 ready, and all that needs to be modded in it (or replaced) is some TriMedia driver.

Anyway, we are probably straying from the subject of the thread too much. I don't think that Nagra has ever produced mixing consoles, but they are sure known for their recorders, and it would be nice to see them collaborate with Andreas Koch again on a DSD 5.6MHz capable machine.

Last edited:

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
From what I heard, the Sonoma DAW, on which the SA Center has relied for several years for their projects, is basically DSD128 ready, and all that needs to be modded in it (or replaced) is some TriMedia driver.

But anyway, we are probably straying from the subject of the thread too much. I don't think that Nagra has ever produced mixing consoles. But they are sure known for their recorders, and it would be nice to see them collaborate with Andreas Koch again on a DSD 5.6MHz capable machine.

That's my understanding as well. The real question is will Nagra or anyone else have the time or money to take on Pyramix in the DSD Workstation market. They have a very big lead - and DSD 11.2 Mhz features already. Could be tough to catch at this point.

Hiro

Apr 17, 2013
That's my understanding as well. The real question is will Nagra or anyone else have the time or money to take on Pyramix in the DSD Workstation market. They have a very big lead - and DSD 11.2 Mhz features already. Could be tough to catch at this point.

Not sure if their lead is that big at all. If they enabled SDM-wide mixing for DSD projects, that would be a different story, of course......

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
What apparently makes the Nagra DAC so special is the all Nagra power supplies and analog output section which many say is unprecedented in a DAC design. Very curious to hear against my CH Precision C1/X1. At RMAF Nagra will use Stenheim speakers which I heard and are excellent indeed - wish I was going!!

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
What apparently makes the Nagra DAC so special is the all Nagra power supplies and analog output section which many say is unprecedented in a DAC design. Very curious to hear against my CH Precision C1/X1. At RMAF Nagra will use Stenheim speakers which I heard and are excellent indeed - wish I was going!!

Sure: the D-A conversion engine licensed from Andreas Koch is unlikely to be radically different from those used in the current generation PD and EMM DACs. But the tube-driven output stage, hand-wound transformers and dual external power supplies for the digital and analog sections are all likely to have a significant impact on the sonic performance.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Mhhh...

Lampizator/VAD/Allnic, etc all have vastly overspecified power supplies. I have been to CH HQ twice and had a private demo there. They also take great pride in their power supplies (you should see the 45 pound torrid used in the M1 amp…I attache it here) and the showroom was stacked with 3 models of Stenheim.
The Lampi Big7 has 20 PSUs inside, as Lukasz is fanatical about power supply.

So, I must be missing something here, so tell me what special Nagara does with supplies. That must be interesting if true…. P1020092.jpg P1020094.jpg

Last edited:

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Mhhh...

Lampizator/VAD/Allnic, etc all have vastly overspecified power supplies. I have been to CH HQ twice and had a private demo there. They also take great pride in their power supplies (you should see the 45 pound torrid used in the M1 amp…I attache it here) and the showroom was stacked with 3 models of Stenheim.
The Lampi Big7 has 20 PSUs inside, as Lukasz is fanatical about power supply.

So, I must be missing something here, so tell me what special Nagara does with supplies. That must be interesting if true….

The Nagra has 25 internal power supplies, but the difference is that the power supplies for the digital and analog sections are completely independent, down to two separate power cords (unless one chooses to use their multiple supply unit). And while there are certainly a lot of amps with bigger transformers, I am not sure what is the point of the comparison.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Sounds good. I will have to investigate as that is interesting. i wonder how the grounding scheme is given separated PSUs?

The amp pictures were just to show that CH takes power supply VERY seriously.... for all their components.

Last edited:

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
The amp pictures were just to show that CH takes power supply VERY seriously.... for all their components.

Agreed: they make great gear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing