Nagra 300i, what are your thoughts?

Music2move

Nov 20, 2015
My dealer, Ne Plus Ultra in Austin, just upgraded my Nagra HD amps to the latest rev, think it's called HD amp 2020. It's a software upgrade, changing the protection circuit. Have to take off the side panel, insert a micro SD card, and ~20 seconds later it's upgraded.

Warmer and richer tonal palette...across the board from the highs to mids to lows. At the same time it's more transparent and resolute. Everything takes a step forward...

Hello jfrech,

Read your post with great interest. Fortunately, I have been enjoying Nagra HD Amps for 18 months, with Classic Preamp, HD DAC, Classic PSU ( 3 outlets ) , all purchased from authorised dealers in Australia, linked together by Siltech Royal Signature Princess and Crown Princess 35y Anniversary XLRs, sources are EMM Labs XDS1 version3 ( upgraded ) , and Antipodes DX gen 3 streaming....all up a lovely pure , natural aural pleasure each time.

Curious to know what you feel that the HD Amp 2020 upgrade would bring to the mix, how much cost and effort involved (soon to approach my dealer in Australia). PM me away from forum if you prefer. Have read your posts for years with interest and appreciation...

Thx for any comments, M2m

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi M2m,

Wow, great set up ! The HD 2020 update becomes more resolute, a warmer tone (read more tube like) and better textures. Nothing steps back. It's one of those things once heard, you have no need to ever AB.

It's a software update with 1 ribbon cable change internally (x2 obviously). Takes about 10 minutes per amp. If you've never seen the inside of these amps its fun to look.

I suspect the are raising the Class A bias point and removing a protection circuit. But that is a just a guess. The ribbon cable looks the same, but on close inspection on one end they have snipped off 2 of the contacts. So they are removing something this ribbon cable previously (partially) controlled.

I don't remember the exact cost, I'm thinking $600 USD per amp. I think it's mostly to help the dealer for time and labor.

Good luck !!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing