My system (me being Lee) in SW London. UK.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Few changes I made to my system during 2012.

Gryphon Diablo amplifier - replaced Luxman L590.

Thales Simplicity Tonearm - replaced Graham Phantom.

Ortofon A90 replaced Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua

Tron Seven GT Phono Amp - replaced standard Seven.

Latest PSU for my TW Acustic Raven AC record player.

USB-DCC 24/192 S/PDIF converter for my Lindemann 820 SACD player.

JPS Labs Superconductor V speaker cable replaced Transparent.

Cyrus DAB 8.0 replaced Harmon Kardon tuner.

Grand Prix Audio Monaco amp stand with carbon fibre platform added for Diablo.

Will take some pictures over the Xmas break.

:)

Cool, Simplicity...congrats. That's a lot of changes! I know the Gryphon sound well, as many here know...congrats. Be interested to know what your observations are about Gryphon Diabloe vs Luxman L590 it replaced. I have heard the Tron preamp in HK last year...good stuff and well regarded by those who know it better than I.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Congrats on the Diablo! - I am too a Gryphon fan and had quite a few in the past, the Diablo is on my list but hard to grab one used here.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Peter,

I owned the SME30 with SME V and still consider it a great turntable. It had a stability and majesty that most other turntables lack - in some aspects you have less vinyl and more music with the SME30. I would happily live with it, but I was offered a Forsell Airforce one for a fraction of the price I could sell the SME and could not resist. The Forsell is an excellent sounding turntable, but it is much more complicated to operate - several air pumps and surge tanks, and a very unreliable motor!

An SME 30/2 or 30/12 is high on my turntable wish list, but my Forsell Air Reference will keep my going for now! (I've owned it since new.)

simplicity

Jun 2, 2012
SW London, UK.
I will come back on the Diablo v Luxman.

It's complicated; where the Luxman really gelled with my Peak Consults, I don't get the same synergy with the Diablo. I feel the Diablo is a better amplifier, but it just doesn't pair too well with the speakers. So either I consider a change in speaker OR revert back to the Luxman (which I still have).

I will be doing some A/B listening over the next week or so to come to a definitive conclusion here.

The Luxman is all about solidity with a touch of warmth. The Diablo is detail and massive soundstage but definitely on the bright side.

Yin and yang. Both have positives and negatives.

You get more of the whole picture with the Diablo, but the Luxman is more listenable...........

More listening time needed.

However, the Diablo is a bit up front and clearly requires a bit more careful system matching than the Luxman,

simplicity

Jun 2, 2012
SW London, UK.
Pictures will follow once my Wilson Benesch Torus arrives (3-4 weeks). This will replace the B&W PV1, which is leaving me tonight.

The Torus and its amplifier is a significant step up form the PV1. As with any subwoofer (WB don't call it this on account of no woofers) or Infrasonic Generator, integration is king. With the PV1 I found that to integrate it had to run where the Peak Consults stopped, whereas with the Torus (I had one on loan for a few weeks to dem), it can be set up to come in higher up and can blend in seamlessly and become part of the "speaker" rather than an add on to the bottom end.

Anyway - I will document my system properly once the Torus is in. Watch this space :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

It's complicated; where the Luxman really gelled with my Peak Consults, I don't get the same synergy with the Diablo. I feel the Diablo is a better amplifier, but it just doesn't pair too well with the speakers. So either I consider a change in speaker OR revert back to the Luxman (which I still have).

I will be doing some A/B listening over the next week or so to come to a definitive conclusion here.

The Luxman is all about solidity with a touch of warmth. The Diablo is detail and massive soundstage but definitely on the bright side.

You get more of the whole picture with the Diablo, but the Luxman is more listenable...........

However, the Diablo is a bit up front and clearly requires a bit more careful system matching than the Luxman,

That says good things on the Luxman!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Interesting and good observations to read for future reference...thanks for posting. have you tried Vitus? Isnt there a pretty well-regarded combination of Peak Consults, Vitus and Stahl-tek Digital? I think those 3 manufacturers often show together, and the little i have read about it and a few recorded snips all were intriguing/positive. Vitus in general is also a big manufacturer of Class A amplification...like Gryphon and Luxman. In fact, I think their integrated is Class A, whereas I do know that the Diablo is. Not sure about Luxman. Look forward to reading more when the pictures are up! Enjoy.

simplicity

Jun 2, 2012
SW London, UK.
The Luxman has now sold - so I guess that says which amp I preferred over time. I changed some cables, put an SPU Royal N on in place of the A90 and all has clicked into place :)
The Torus still hasn't arrived - but when it does, a full review and pic profile will follow. Lee

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
The Torus has finally landed, so I will take some pix over the weekend and post here :)

Must be a VERY long weekend still no new pics. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Torus has finally landed, so I will take some pix over the weekend and post here :)

congrats! heard great things about it! look forward to initial impressions!

simplicity

Jun 2, 2012
SW London, UK.
Update.

Ortofon Royal SPU gone and replaced with brand new Koetsu Urushi Sky Blue.

Another cartridge about to be ordered to go with the A90 and Urushi.

Mulling over a Thales TTT to replace/addition to the Raven.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Lee/Simplicity, great moniker for such a "complicated" hobby!
I moved last yr from a Michell Orbe/SME V/Transfiguration Orpheus/Tom Evans Groove Plus SRX, which had served me faithfully to...well, I did consider the SME 20/V and TW AC3/Graham after hearing them, but decided on...the biggest bang for buck in the high end tt mkt, the direct rim drive Trans Fi Audio Salvation tt/ Terminator T3pro air bearing linear tracking arm, topped off with a Soundsmith Straingauge SG200 cart.
I really was impressed with the TW, and had great respect for the SME 20...and good memories of my Orbe, BUT my tt/arm/cart really gives me something I feel is missing with these choices. But if I hadn't come across my current choice, I would have begged/borrowed/stolen to afford the TW or 20.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It looks like my post has killed this thread, not my intention! How's the Torus coming along, Lee?

simplicity

Jun 2, 2012
SW London, UK.
February 2014 updates.

Various bits gone - deleted form inventory.

Additions: -

TW Raven 10.5 tonearm. In addition to the Thales Simplicity.
Ikeda 9TT cartridge. Keeping A90 / Urushi.
Also got HRS ADH S/Steel weight.
Tron Seven GT Preamp. Gryphon Diablo now used purely as a power amp. Seven GT phono remains.
Second WB Torus added.

Quite a bit to digest and to comment on.
More to follow and i promise more pix once i can get some commentary together!

Last edited:

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
very interesting system. would be very interested in your input in regards to using a preamp with the Diablo and the amp stand that you're using.
best regards

wrong

Jun 21, 2014
Denmark
Hi Lee.
Interresting system.
If I understand your inputs right, the Peak Consult remained in your system due to cable changing?

I am also a peak Consult owner and a tron seven RIAA owner.

I am courious to see some Pictures of your system. Speaker placement, rack, decoupling ect. ect.

Best regards
Wrong:cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing