My Pinkfaun 2.16 ultra experience

flkin

Mar 7, 2019
Bangkok
There is so much to read, as there are as many different views and opinions. It goes from adding a single Uptone EtherRegan (eR), to chaining a couple of Cisco's (Meraki, 2960 or SG100D) to SoTM's and Bonn's in the wildest configurations.

I’m like a broken record as I keep repeating this so please bear with me. There’s a limit to how good a switch can be. The best sound of a switch is no switch, the sound without LAN. So if it’s possible to hear your system without the LAN cable attached that’s the target sound.

It’s possible if the playback software fully buffers the music prior to playing. Pink Faun’s Euphony software does this. You’ll loose playback controls while the LAN cable is disconnected but you’ll be able to hear the ultimate switch sound - nothing.

Obviously this is not suitable for normal listening but it’s good for seeing how much distortion the LAN is actually adding to your system.

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
I’m like a broken record as I keep repeating this so please bear with me. There’s a limit to how good a switch can be. The best sound of a switch is no switch, the sound without LAN. So if it’s possible to hear your system without the LAN cable attached that’s the target sound.

It’s possible if the playback software fully buffers the music prior to playing. Pink Faun’s Euphony software does this. You’ll loose playback controls while the LAN cable is disconnected but you’ll be able to hear the ultimate switch sound - nothing.

Obviously this is not suitable for normal listening but it’s good for seeing how much distortion the LAN is actually adding to your system.
Got you flkin, and can't agree more.

In critical listening mode, one should get rid of all the unnecessary components that are causing distortion, including the LAN connection.

Still, like in your impressive description of your equipment, adding a streaming set-up is desirable to listen to / discover all sorts of music and just enjoy it. With the relative high end equipment most of us have, we should do justice to it and push the limits a bit to an acceptable level. At least, and I speak for myself, that is the fun part of it ;)

Reactions: flkin

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Got you flkin, and can't agree more.

In critical listening mode, one should get rid of all the unnecessary components that are causing distortion, including the LAN connection.

Still, like in your impressive description of your equipment, adding a streaming set-up is desirable to listen to / discover all sorts of music and just enjoy it. With the relative high end equipment most of us have, we should do justice to it and push the limits a bit to an acceptable level. At least, and I speak for myself, that is the fun part of it ;)
Fikin, what you say make a lot of sense.

We have just finished our late lunch and now sitting in front of my loudspeakers listening to music. I invited my wife who is not an audiophile but has better ears than me to make a trial.

My setup is ER -> Melco N1Z -> ADOT -> S100 PF -> streamer ND555. All cables are RJ45.

We played a piano. I really enjoy this album.

First we listened to as is. Then I took out the RJ45 from the streamer and listened to the buffer. Then in with the RJ45 once more. We repeated it once.

And .. none of us heard any difference in sound. I doubt that my switch setup is perfect so I guess that the limitations are further down in the chain. Nevertheless interesting.

i wish all of you a god end of 2023 and a Happy New Year.

Gunnar

Attachments

• IMG_3225.png
    IMG_3225.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
I did the @flkin test :cool:. And guess what.… Improvement made. Never thought about listening without a LAN cable….

So fiddled around whit a couple of switched just for fun and ended up with three Cisco switches, one CS 2960 connected to my modem downstairs, connected by cat8 to another “modified” CS 2960 in my listening room that is used as a media converter, connected through fiber to a “modified“ Cisco Meraki” (took away the POE switched power supply of both). Coming closer to without any LAN connection…

now hesitating if I will further modify this config with external power supplies or just buy a new Melco 100S/2 or SoTM with a power supply. If the DC is equal, I might further enhance this experimental setup first. And guess a better LAN cable. I “only have a AQ Cinnamon. Any suggestions?

But is was fun :)

IMG_3834.jpeg

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
I did the @flkin test :cool:. And guess what.… Improvement made. Never thought about listening without a LAN cable….

So fiddled around whit a couple of switched just for fun and ended up with three Cisco switches, one CS 2960 connected to my modem downstairs, connected by cat8 to another “modified” CS 2960 in my listening room that is used as a media converter, connected through fiber to a “modified“ Cisco Meraki” (took away the POE switched power supply of both). Coming closer to without any LAN connection…

now hesitating if I will further modify this config with external power supplies or just buy a new Melco 100S/2 or SoTM with a power supply. If the DC is equal, I might further enhance this experimental setup first. And guess a better LAN cable. I “only have a AQ Cinnamon. Any suggestions?

But is was fun :)

View attachment 122948
Hi rdw
I have used the ediscreation silent switch then added the firebox II .. improvement each time .. I like these as they have excellent internal power supplies and it reduces box count.. if you have not looked there is quite a long thread on these that is worth reading as folks have done comparisons whereas I have not.
I use PF lan cable
All a bit spendy but in my case worth it.
Cheers
Phil
Good luck

Reactions: RdW

flkin

Mar 7, 2019
Bangkok
…So fiddled around whit a couple of switched just for fun and ended up with three Cisco switches, one CS 2960 connected to my modem downstairs, connected by cat8 to another “modified” CS 2960 in my listening room that is used as a media converter, connected through fiber to a “modified“ Cisco Meraki” (took away the POE switched power supply of both). Coming closer to without any LAN connection…

A better power supply seems to always lead to better hifi. Removing all commercial switching supplies is always a good idea.

This approach of trial and listening is my preferred approach as I learn what matters more and what doesn’t. One of my most significant jumps in sound quality came from improving the external DC supply to the Pink Faun USB card in the streamer. Far more improvement than working on the switch side.

That said have you considered using a meshed wifi network to bring the data into your hifi room? And then only use LAN from that last meshed node to your streamer?

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
I have the AQ Cinnamon and the AQ Forest. The Forest is now between the Router and the Laser printer. The Cinnamon is not used. I tried them between the streamer and, what I had then, two Cisco 2960 switches but found in my setup that the AQs were not giving a clear sound. Dull. The comparison was made against two Melco Ethernet cables.

What switch to buy? We have more experts than me but I think the quality / performance of the internal clock is really important.

Yes, I agree with better power supplies. Don’t ignore good power cords. At least that’s my experience. I have four Super3 with upgraded inlets and fuses. The Super3 responds positive on good power cords. I started with stock cables. Then upgraded to Vertere RedLines. Nice improvement. Then I read on this forum that changing plugs on the Redlines to higher ends Furutech would further improve. Intention was to buy the Furutechs but the website of the French supplier I normally use didn’t work. They had some problems with payments. i was on my way buying an OePhi Reference power cord and Joakim at OePhi recommended me instead of Furutech to try Viborgs top plugs. So instead of Furutech I bought Viborg. Similar price level. First i got the OePhi power cord. Put it into the Super3 for the ADOT. it replaced a Farad power cord. Was not expecting any change in sound. But yes. A “deeper” sound with an improved soundstage.

Then I did something….. Our electrician cut two of my three RedLines in two. For practical reasons needed them shorter. When done I had four different RedLines just under 1 meter each with Viborg plugs. One per Super3. The OePhi power cord got moved to the streamer. Huge improvement. My conclusion was. A good power supply also needs a good power cord. Was not expecting such an improvement. Since then I have bought two more OePhi Reference power cords For the pre- and the amplifier. They replaced Naim powerlines. Each change improved the sound. I have in back of my mind to give their Reference loudspeaker cables a try. But need 7 meter. We will see.

Streaming. I have compared a couple of tracks (identical recordings and format) between Quboz and my Melco NAS. Impossible to hear any difference. Identical sound.

@flkin …. I read your ”story” . Impressive

chers
Gunnar

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Hi rdw
I have used the ediscreation silent switch then added the firebox II .. improvement each time .. I like these as they have excellent internal power supplies and it reduces box count.. if you have not looked there is quite a long thread on these that is worth reading as folks have done comparisons whereas I have not.
I use PF lan cable
All a bit spendy but in my case worth it.
Cheers
Phil
Good luck
Thanks pjwd for this. I will read about this switch.

Reactions: pjwd

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Wow @Gunnar, that is a reasonable amount of €€€ for a few power cables to external power supplies (they look fantastic , I have to give you that ;)). I’m not sure if I am ready for this… but I take it that they are fantastic cables knowing you a bit now.

I agree that AQ is not the best for digital. I like them for power though. I’m using one of their Niagara 5000’s with Huricane power cord. I have no reason to replace those yet. I’m told to move to the Dragons, but am afraid when I go there, that there is no way back. But maybe, maybe, the oePhi reference can be an alernative, but no distributor in NL…

I am looking at the Pink Faun LAN cable by the way.

And no @flkin , I didn’t try the WiFi suggestion. I will give it a go next weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Wow @Gunnar, that is a reasonable amount of €€€ for a few power cables to external power supplies (they look fantastic , I have to give you that ;)). I’m not sure if I am ready for this… but I take it that they are fantastic cables knowing you a bit now.

I agree that AQ is not the best for digital. I like them for power though. I’m using one of their Niagara 5000’s with Huricane power cord. I have no reason to replace those yet. I’m told to move to the Dragons, but am afraid when I go there, that there is no way back. But maybe, maybe, the oePhi reference can be an alernative, but no distributor in NL…

I am looking at the Pink Faun LAN cable by the way.

And no @flkin , I didn’t try the WiFi suggestion. I will give it a go next weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.
Thanks, power cords ….

Dragons. More than 5000 for a meter. No doubt it’s a more than great cable but 50 Euro per centimetre? I told myself maximum 3000 for a power cord. Even that I think is expensive. My wife thinks it’s stupid but hear the difference .I never take a home demo of something I think is too expensive. Too risky……

OePhi does what, I guess. at least European suppliers do. Return and refund within 30 days. Power cords we living within EU must be careful when buying as we need to be sure the cord has a CE certificate.

The Pink Faun Lan cable is really good for its price.And flexible.

Gunnar

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
I have not tried the PF power cords. I asked them about length and the answer was “we don’t recommend less than 150 cm”. Standard length is 200 cm. In my setup 150 or 200 cm would be too long. A cable of 100 cm is what I need. Cables …… takes place….

i am not the one who one who takes home several cables for trial. I listen to opinions of people I trust and for sure what WBF members recommends.

i have no doubt that the PF power cords are really good. And think they are worth a trial.

i ended up with OePhi through a friends recommendation. He got the opportunity to compare, at that time, their top power cord Immanence against both the Chord Music and the Chord Sarum T. His conclusion was that Music was the best and that it was a question of taste between the Sarum T and Immanence. List price for a Music is 6250. The Sarum 2650 and the OePhi Immanence 1750. All prices in Euro and for 1 meter.

When I was ready to buy I went for OePhi new top, the Reference. Price for one meter 2950 Euro. I guess not on the Music nor AQ Dragon level but half the price. But two cables instead o just one.

Gunnar

Reactions: pjwd

flkin

Mar 7, 2019
Bangkok
I have the Pink Faun Ultra power chord. Using it on my 2.16x streamer upon the recommendation of Jord. It's a tinned copper construct and sounds great with the 2.16x. Other chords I use that works well is the QSA Lanedri Gamma Elevation and Gamma Infinity chords. Both tightened the bass, added thickness and a naturalness to the sound and cleaned up the treble.

Mikeg1

Aug 17, 2020
I had a question for the group. I‘m interested the Pink Faun 2.16 Ultra. I am currently using the BACCH4MAC Roon End Point processor that provides loudspeaker crosstalk and room correction. It's an excellent product and has won the Absolute Sound Product of the Year. The BACCH4MAC requires an Ethernet input so I think since the Pink Faun has two Ethernet ports (one for the input from my Router and Modem and a second for the output to the BACCH4MAC) it should work together. Can someone confirm that PK 2.16 Ultra would work in this configuratio?

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
I had a question for the group. I‘m interested the Pink Faun 2.16 Ultra. I am currently using the BACCH4MAC Roon End Point processor that provides loudspeaker crosstalk and room correction. It's an excellent product and has won the Absolute Sound Product of the Year. The BACCH4MAC requires an Ethernet input so I think since the Pink Faun has two Ethernet ports (one for the input from my Router and Modem and a second for the output to the BACCH4MAC) it should work together. Can someone confirm that PK 2.16 Ultra would work in this configuratio?
I don’t have the answer but recommend you also to send Pink Faun the question. The few times I have asked them questions I have got fast and professional responses.

Gunnar

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
I have used my Pink Faun 2.16 in that manner. I had my Grimm MU1 connected up to the second port and it worked really well.

Reactions: Zappadaddy

Goetzfam

Jun 20, 2023
So I am computer illiterate. Currently I have a Pink Faun Ultra 2.16 running Euphony, outputting via USB to a Mola Mola Tambaqui. Where would I insert the BACCH4MAC in the chain, or should I be looking into the BACCH hardware options?

worldtime

Apr 14, 2021
So I am computer illiterate. Currently I have a Pink Faun Ultra 2.16 running Euphony, outputting via USB to a Mola Mola Tambaqui. Where would I insert the BACCH4MAC in the chain, or should I be looking into the BACCH hardware options?
Bacch is between pinky and your dac. I had it, and it was terrible, worst hifi experience happened to me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing