My new 2160

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Exciting!!! Please let us know when it's in!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Exciting!!! Please let us know when it's in!
Lloyd it was up and running within seconds of being wrestled from its crate ?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
.with apologies for crap photography..

Attachments

• 20230415_223920.jpg
    20230415_223920.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 20230415_223847.jpg
    20230415_223847.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 20230415_223809.jpg
    20230415_223809.jpg
    734 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: gds7368 and tsaett

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gavin, it looks like you've got a camp bed next to the Boulder. I've heard of guys living and sleeping their hobby, but that's ridiculous! Lol.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
So a quick recap, plus first impressions.

We ended up with three lifters instead of four- final man arrived as i was powering her up.
My plan to take multiple pics of box moving from van into living was somewhat hampered by the fact i was doing the moving. Then as the boys were drinking their coffees i had her up and running. Then followed a few hours of chat; hadnt had that many visitors to chez gav since Christmas, all with tunes playing politely in the background. Once they had all left, it was on with my chores and then out with the dogs for a few hours. I didn't leave it running for fear of an outbreak of cats on amp. Also, when running in new engines, my engineer tells me its the heat cycles as much as the run time that helps break things in, so i was ok with powering it down for a couple of hours.

So back with dogs, got them all fed as i played a loosener: Pete Tong and the Heritage Orchestra play Ibiza classics. Lots of dance tunes reimagined via orchestra. It's pleasant, undemanding, perfect for warming things up
As i finished up and sat down, my favourite track was beginning 'Sing it Back'.
So what am i hearing?
Space, depth, and nuance in the bass. Whereas pre Boulder the bass arrived as a thick, congealed slab, now its the delicate sound of thunder. The soundstage is incredible, a real sense of depth, with voices and instruments existing within their own spaces, all perfectly scaled to my room. I was immediately out of 'running in' mode and into 'the best sound I've ever experienced'.
So time to get serious. I pulled out a true heavyweight contender, Peter Gabriel's Passion, the soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ, remastered to 45rpm on triple vinyl.
I was transfixed.
So many things to describe, where to begin?
So imagine you're in your living room, and you light a fire in your fireplace or burner.
You know how the orientation of your room, of your whole house, seems to change?
There's now a focal point to your space, a performance in the centre that completely changes how a space looks and feels. Now, instead of music being fired at you, it arises, emanates, exists and breathes as a three dimensional entity, a presence that changes an empty room into a performance space...and again, i come back to this sense of a performance perfectly scaled to my room.

Back to Passion. The sense of things rolling towards you like a storm, then overwheming you with violence- i can think of no better description for what we call slam and extension.
Oh my goodness

So to sum up my first impressions?
Diminishing returns, as a concept in hifi, is bunk.
There are certain components that allow you to transcend the experience of just sitting in your room listening to music. They change the space you are existing in, it becomes both bigger and more intimate. It's a feeling i get when indulging in party- related substances, now my system achieves this effect when I'm sober as a judge:
I no longer have a living room; i have my own performance space. And all the performers are having their best day.

I leapt out of bed this morning....?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

We ended up with three lifters instead of four- final man arrived as i was powering her up.
My plan to take multiple pics of box moving from van into living was somewhat hampered by the fact i was doing the moving. Then as the boys were drinking their coffees i had her up and running. Then followed a few hours of chat; hadnt had that many visitors to chez gav since Christmas, all with tunes playing politely in the background. Once they had all left, it was on with my chores and then out with the dogs for a few hours. I didn't leave it running for fear of an outbreak of cats on amp. Also, when running in new engines, my engineer tells me its the heat cycles as much as the run time that helps break things in, so i was ok with powering it down for a couple of hours.

So back with dogs, got them all fed as i played a loosener: Pete Tong and the Heritage Orchestra play Ibiza classics. Lots of dance tunes reimagined via orchestra. It's pleasant, undemanding, perfect for warming things up
So what am i hearing?
Space, depth, and nuance in the bass. Whereas pre Boulder the bass arrived as a thick, congealed slab, now its the delicate sound of thunder. The soundstage is incredible, a real sense of depth, with voices and instruments existing within their own spaces, all perfectly scaled to my room. I was immediately out of 'running in' mode and into 'the best sound I've ever experienced'.
So time to get serious. I pulled out a true heavyweight contender, Peter Gabriel's Passion, the soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ, remastered to 45rpm on triple vinyl.
I was transfixed.
So imagine you're in your living room, and you light a fire in your fireplace or burner.
You know how the orientation of your room, of your whole house, seems to change?
There's now a focal point to your space, a performance in the centre that completely changes how a space looks and feels. Now, instead of music being fired at you, it arises, emanates, exists and breathes as a three dimensional entity, a presence that changes an empty room into a performance space...and again, i come back to this sense of a performance perfectly scaled to my room.

Back to Passion. The sense of things rolling towards you like a storm, then overwheming you with violence- i can think of no better description for what we call slam and extension.
Oh my goodness

There are certain components that allow you to transcend the experience of just sitting in your room listening to music. They change the space you are existing in, it becomes both bigger and more intimate. It's a feeling i get when indulging in party- related substances, now my system achieves this effect when I'm sober as a judge:
I no longer have a living room; i have my own performance space. And all the performers are having their best day.

Hmm, Boulder Morning Glory lol.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Well congrats again and hope you and the cats enjoy them for many years!

George

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

So what am i hearing?
I was transfixed.

Oh my goodness

Fantastic...what a great read. Enjoy!!! You have surely taken your time and really invested time and money to build up a system that is very special, very very focused in its character and qualities. Congrats.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
aiming to capture both the excitement of the moment of delivery,
including the logo on the side of the van to give a namecheck to Struan and the boys at Hifi Corner Edinburgh, who stepped in to do the install without making a penny from the deal.
Plus i wanted to capture a hint of my place, the mossy weathered stone, and the way my wee cottage nestles into the surrounding forest and hillside.
Here's how that went:

Attachments

• 20230415_123559.jpg
    20230415_123559.jpg
    669.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Reactions: R S

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
30 hours in, and I've reached the swearing stage. As in, this is fucking astonishing

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, infinitely baffled!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Sorry chaps, i do have to apologise for not posting more. Because that requires diverting my attention from where it is demanded, the performers in my room. It feels rude to be typing even this. Jamie from Sleaford Mods is about to pour a pint on my head for being on my tablet

I only want to do one thing right now. Baths are going unused, meals uneaten, because that would involve tearing myself away. From something that is annihilating my expectations of what is possible my system.
I've been given a lens, no thats not right, a portal,
through which i can view all the music that matters to me. I dont play them, theyre all playing somewhere, I'm just transported to that location

And you know what i love about power amps?
They just frickin work. No setup required. Place on level solid well ventilated spot. Plug in, connect, stand back. Keep the cats off No anxiety 'bout whether youve optimised it. Absolutely spiffing

Ok, pull yourself together gav, post something useful
After about 30 hours the central image has snapped into focus. Spatially I'm witnessing music like never before. I've never experienced such a depth of soundstage, with performances existing in their own, ample space within.
The only place im feeling theres more to come is we haven't quite yet hit the richness of tone i associate with Boulder.
Just the idea that there really is more to come makes me giddy
Oh shit Jason's come over and he's stood over me, im being flecked with spit as he bellows into the mic. He's doing it to make a point. Everyone's looking.....

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I thought:

- your cat has been at your amp again
- you dropped your amp on your foot
- you saw your power bill

But seriously, congratulations! I would love to have an amp like that!
Do it brother.
Find a way. You won't regret it

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Apologies for radio silence. Got a sick doggie, so keeping things restful for the time being

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
:eek: I hope your dog will be okay!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing