My massive gamble - acuhorn R2R dac with switchable DHT tube output

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
I couldn't resist any longer, so I decided to take a gamble and try this very interesting looking dac from polish outfit acuhorn.

Very interesting design using a simple SET output with Soekris R2R board. Power supply very unusual.

I will be trying a new pair of WE300B and a pair of 45 Ken Rad to start.

Screenshot_20220414-212558.png

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
extremely pleased with the unit. I've been switching between NOS National Type 45 ST tubes and some WE300B replica and the sound is extremely natural, with a wide soundstage and very good instrument separation.

I believe the vicor power supply is playing a big part in the unit's performance, offering the Soekris R2R board a clear power supply, but also offering a very pure and stable DC filament source for the DHT tubes.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
This is a very interesting DAC!

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
a soekris board with tube stage are great sounding dacs, like lampizator atlantic, i have a lot experience with that;)
in the end i change to SSB 01 Bufferstage the best of both worlds transistor and tubes.
clear buy recommendation from me:)
soekris.jpg

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Just bought a pair is mint NOS 01A tubes to try on the 300B, 5v heater setting.

With 3 different heater settings I can roll pretty much all DHT tubes just like a Lampizator.

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Currently using almost century old 112A triodes in the Acuhorn. I wasn't expecting much from these in comparison to my €1000 Emissions labs 45 Mesh Globes but they are just as gorgeous sounding.

Who says you need a Lampizator to roll the wide array of wonderful triodes out there !

PXL_20220909_140553147.jpg

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Oldie goldie for peanuts

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Oldie goldie for peanuts
Honestly I am totally shocked how good these tubes are. I paid $70 for the pair!? Totally silent in operation and oozing in timbre with my magnepan 20.1 ribbon tweeters and my atma-sphere MA-1 OTLs.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Honestly I am totally shocked how good these tubes are. I paid $70 for the pair!? Totally silent in operation and oozing in timbre with my magnepan 20.1 ribbon tweeters and my atma-sphere MA-1 OTLs.
;)

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
How is the Acuhorn going? Long term impressions?

Last edited:

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Hi

Still enjoying the Acuhorn and in fact I've had the owner rewire the unit for me using a mix of Mundorf silver/gold and Dueland pure silver. I've setttled on EML 45 mesh globes although as per another thread I've very recently discovered the joys of type46 tubes using the 45 heater setting and pin adapters.

Currently using it via coaxial into my new Hifi Rose RS130 transport. A wonderful device.

I still intend to try an officially used Lapmizator Pacific at some point, but very happy with the Acuhorn for now.

Reactions: NickMimi

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There are two Acuhorn tube dacs, yes? This one using 300Bs and a less expensive one using smaller tubes in the output stage?
Has anyone heard both to compare?

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
There are two Acuhorn tube dacs, yes? This one using 300Bs and a less expensive one using smaller tubes in the output stage?
Has anyone heard both to compare?
yes that's correct https://www.acuhorn.pl/acuhorn-R2RTS.htm

Mine is the R2R T which has a 5 Volt, 4 Volt or 2.5Volt heater switch like a Lampizator. There is also a balanced XS version which I thought was unnecessary so just bought the SE version.

Unlike Lampizator these designs don't use tube rectification. When I asked Acuhorn why, this was their response

"Because I use a super fast modern Vicor power supply module.
I have a constant voltage at the output.
No need rectifier tube in front of the module.
These modules act as an audiophile power conditioner.
If I would use a rectifier tube behind the module,
it would spoil the effect of the super stable sound image of the soundstage"

When I looked on Mouser I noticed those Vicor DC-DC modules are not cheap, and some of their versions are military grade, so the PSU section is super interestingly designed.

Reactions: NickMimi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing