My machine videos, mini excavator and firewood processor !

Metsaman

Mar 7, 2015
Finland
Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Here are few of My working videos some of My machines. :)

Firewood processor:

Interesting. Did not know there was such a PTO attachment! Seems like it takes a lot of muscle to get the wood cut that way. I use a chainsaw to do the same while the wood is stationary. What is the advantage of the attachment?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oh wait. Didn't realize it also splits the wood on the way out. Now that neat. I use my electric log splitter for that.

How much is the unit and what is the minimum horsepower you need on the tractor to run it?

Metsaman

Mar 7, 2015
Finland
Yes it can cut and then split woods in four pieces. Unit cost me about 4800 euros ( 5200 USD) and it need power only 7 KW, My MF 365 ( 65 hp ) running it featherlight.

Metsaman

Mar 7, 2015
Finland
Interesting. Did not know there was such a PTO attachment! Seems like it takes a lot of muscle to get the wood cut that way. I use a chainsaw to do the same while the wood is stationary. What is the advantage of the attachment?

Yes, it only need for tractor is PTO, it have own hydraulic system for splitter. This is my first test this machine and working methods are not right yet. In video it seems that is heavy work but actually it is quite easy, I make big logs bench where woods that go in machine are so don't need lift up woods in ground level.
Ground and woods was ice when I make this test and make it looks heavier that it really is.

I think main advantage is that it make all work ( cut/split) same time, only one movement is taking wood in cutting table and then machine take care a rest, much faster and easy than chainsaw/hydraulic splitter, I use to do firewoods that way.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My problem is that for $5,000 I could get lifetime supply of firewood instead of cutting my own. I only use it in our wood fired Pizza oven so it lasts a long time. Do you use it for heating?

Metsaman

Mar 7, 2015
Finland
Yes, I use it heating for hole house and sauna of course, I live in Finland and here is maybe 7 - 8 months when You need to warm up the house. Winters are very cold here, December - February is times when sometimes is up to - 35 degrees celcius cold.

I have forest My self so it is economical make firewoods in My own woods, this machine speed up that job so I dont waste My free times just making firewoods.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There is something super satisfying about harvesting material off the land and use to to take care of oneself. :) Every time I make Pizza in the oven I think of the Alders I am using from our land just the same. Or smoking Salmon :).

It doesn't get nearly as cold here. -35 is darn cold. I have done photography in Hokaido Island when it was nearly that cold. I had nearly quarter inch of ice on the rear LCD from just breathing on it!

And yes, having all the tools is important. It makes the venture rather fun than pure work when you make fast progress.

On a side topic, I have been to Finland. Long enough to land at the airport, go to a meeting with Nokia and then leave :). What is the best time to visit your fine country and where would be the best place to go for a nature loving/photography person?

Metsaman

Mar 7, 2015
Finland
Yes it is and is economical use You own woods, You have to clear recently harvest forest and same time get firewoods.

You put hard question, It's depend what You like to do, do You like citylife more or pure nature and maybe how about wilderness.?

Finland is long country ( over 1000 km) and east and north are totally different nature.

If You like big city close to ocean Helsinki and Turku is You choices.

When You go a north, middle of Finland You find out small cities and country village, farm life, nature is more pure than coast, of course have to mention many many lakes with clear, clean water and lots of forests.
When You go all away north then You find pure wilderness, big landscape where You can walk days and see any Human marks at all, only arctic hills, maybe few reindeer's.

What time in a year is best visit here if You ask Me I say that summer time is best, of course if You want to see snow and like to ski it is winter time, very sunny winter day with glowing snow is nice...

So You have many options... : )

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing